APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Official Site Name: University of Florida Health Science Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/18/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 12/8, 12/15, 12/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Exercise and hanging out with my gf and our cats

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an email from the Carle Foundation site saying they are withdrawing the site from the match this year. 2 rejections and a program withdrawal for me so far... was it something I said? :laugh:
This really sucks, but hopefully you applied to a lot of other sites and will go on to have plenty of interviews. There are also still sites with application deadlines that are the first week of December. If you feel it would be helpful, it is not too late to complete another or two.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child/Peds
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8, 1/15, 1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Running out of ideas on how to do this

Reactions: 3 users
Official Site Name: Indiana University School of Medicine
Date Invitation Received: 11/17/2020
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): ASD
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8, 1/13, 1/19
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Petting my dogs

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't realize that they had notified CBT track people. :arghh: I think that last year the notifications were spread out over a few days.... but I could be wrong!

I applied to another track at MGH and haven't heard anything yet.

I believe they received it on Monday. This is an acquaintance so I apologize that I do not have more information.

I know last year's interviews were spread out over at least a ~2 week span (i.e., 11/9-11/19), so Monday might have been the beginning of the notification period.

Last edited:
Official Site Name: Southwest behavioral & health services
Date Invitation Received: 11/2/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): specified in cover letter tracks I’m interested in but not track in particular in terms of invitation.
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8/21 and 1/11/21
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: I’m trying!! Spend time with my pup.

Also they provided with dates in mid December for web-based open houses for each tracks!

This really sucks, but hopefully you applied to a lot of other sites and will go on to have plenty of interviews. There are also still sites with application deadlines that are the first week of December. If you feel it would be helpful, it is not too late to complete another or two.
Thanks so much! I did apply to a lot so I'm not too worried, just want that first interview on the books to calm the nerves. I am actually going to apply to a couple more now, but I was on the fence about that decision so I appreciate hearing that that plan makes sense to others!

Official Site Name: Southwest behavioral & health services
Date Invitation Received: 11/2/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): specified in cover letter tracks I’m interested in but not track in particular in terms of invitation.
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8/21 and 1/11/21
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: I’m trying!! Spend time with my pup.

Also they provided with dates in mid December for web-based open houses for each tracks!
Congrats! Hopefully I hear from them soon. I was very interested in their training opportunities in Maricopa.

Congrats! Hopefully I hear from them soon. I was very interested in their training opportunities in Maricopa.
Thank you so much! Yes, that’s one of the tracks I’m interested in, as well! I’m hoping that you’ll get the invitations very soon :)

Official Site Name: UMiami Mailman Center
Method of Invitation: Personal email
Specialty Track or Site: Interview was not specific to a track
Interview Dates Offered: 1/12, 1/15, 1/21 [**open house format**]
If & How you're staying sane: Leaning on friends going through the same process!

Reactions: 7 users
Are we expected to/to assume that receive rejection emails from all the sites? Or is that hit-or-miss depending on the site? Like if I don’t get rejection letter then there’s still hope even after the invitation date??

Side note: if anyone has heard from California department of state hospitals-metropolitan (DSH-M) please let me know!!!! Thank you:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Dates Offered: 12/8, 12/15, 12/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Exercise and hanging out with my gf and our cats
Waiting on this. Hope it’s not a rejection for me

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Official Site Name: Houston MEDVAMC
Method of Invitation: Mass email
Specialty Track or Site: None mentioned, but I applied to General
Interview Dates Offered: Jan 4, 8, 11, 15 morning or afternoon
If & How you're staying sane: Netflix!

Happy to have found this site and know there are so many others who are in the same boat. I've received 2 confirmed rejections so far and 4 suspected rejections since invitations have seemingly been sent out already. Any success stories or words of wisdom for those who started out with only rejections and had it turn around? I also know that it isn't over until you receive a rejection so that's been helping me cope.
Last year, my friend started out with rejections and she felt discouraged. However, she ended up getting a few interviews in December and she successfully matched at a site that she truly loves. There is so much time left between now and December 15th. An entire month. You got this!

Reactions: 8 users
Official Site Name: Houston MEDVAMC
Method of Invitation: Mass email
Specialty Track or Site: None mentioned, but I applied to General
Interview Dates Offered: Jan 4, 8, 11, 15 morning or afternoon
If & How you're staying sane: Netflix!

Invite received as well -- I applied to both neuro- and general.

If & How you're staying sane: Leaning on friends going through the same process!
Congratulations! Waiting on this one! fingers crossed

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe I'm missing something. If the rankings are largely based on applications and its uncommon for an applicant to significantly raise their status within the interview, then what is the point of interviewing an applicant that is already not highly ranked? How is that not considered an unproductive use of literally everyone's time?
The interview is often just used to screen out well qualified weirdos or people who you didn't want to have a beer with. It's a vibe check.

Are we expected to/to assume that receive rejection emails from all the sites? Or is that hit-or-miss depending on the site? Like if I don’t get rejection letter then there’s still hope even after the invitation date??

Side note: if anyone has heard from California department of state hospitals-metropolitan (DSH-M) please let me know!!!! Thank you:)
I don't know the answer to your question, but I think a better gauge might be checking their official notification deadline and seeing if that has passed. From what I can tell from my time skulking on this thread, is that there are some sites that are staggering their invitations instead of sending them all at once. So there may be hope yet! Good luck <3

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think a better gauge might be checking their official notification deadline and seeing if that has passed. From what I can tell from my time skulking on this thread, is that there are some sites that are staggering their invitations instead of sending them all at once. So there may be hope yet! Good luck QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your input!!!! :)

Official Site Name: Texas Child Study Center
Specialty Track or Site: Peds IC
Interview Dates Offered: 12/8, 12/17, 1/7 (AM interview with PM panel)
If & How you're staying sane: my cohort mates

I believe they’re required to notify all applicants of their status by Dec 15. Every program will do it differently—some notify everyone at the same time, some only notify interviewees by the date in their brochure, some send out in waves that may extend beyond the date in their brochure. It’s impossible to interpret what radio silence means, but that doesn’t help to ease any anxieties either.

Official Site Name: Texas Child Study Center
Specialty Track or Site: Peds IC
If & How you're staying sane: my cohort mates
I applied there... Haven’t gotten anything

Congratulations! Waiting on this one! fingers crossed
Congrats!!! I’m waiting in this one too!

I heard a long time ago about match rates based on number of interviews received, but now I can't find that article or resource. Does anyone know what the rates are or can point me to the resource?

I heard a long time ago about match rates based on number of interviews received, but now I can't find that article or resource. Does anyone know what the rates are or can point me to the resource?
I forgot the source, but 6 interviews put you in good spot for matching. I have that article on my computer, just away now.

This is a little outdated but it has what I think you're asking about:

You can jump to around 01:26:00 on the video for the table.

Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child/Peds
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8, 1/15, 1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Running out of ideas on how to do this
Congrats!!! Really hope I hear from their neuro track sometime soon :nailbiting:

• Care
The Minneapolis VA sent out rejections today! :(
Minneapolis is a pathway VA and highly prestigious... Cudos for applying and don't sell yourself short based on their rejection. You got this!!

• Sad
Official Site Name: Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology/Neuroscience
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8, 1/11
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Thinking about how these applications reflect years of work and nothing I'm doing right now

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
We have been told by our faculty that 7 to 8 interviews equates to nearly a 100% match...

Pg. 76 of this publication: “For calculating a cut score, we found that 6.92 interview invitations was the separation point demarking matched from unmatched applicants.” The authors later mention that 12 interview offers for a single applicant indicate a 99% likelihood to match at 95% confidence interval.

Official Site Name: Southwest Consortium - NMVAHCS
Date Invitation Received: 11/16
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/6
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: working at a hospital

Pg. 76 of this publication: “For calculating a cut score, we found that 6.92 interview invitations was the separation point demarking matched from unmatched applicants.” The authors later mention that 12 interview offers for a single applicant indicate a 99% likelihood to match at 95% confidence interval.
This made me totally panic, tbh. I feel like there's no way I'm going to get 7 invitations. But then I looked at the other figures in that paper and because I have a relatively high number of pubs, that apparently means I'm slated for about 8 interviews. Just figured I'd point y'all to the other figures in that pub in case that statistic is freaking you out too : ) Thanks for sharing, Koala Friend.

• Care
I have a colleague whose student got an invite to the Integrated Brain Health Track a week or so ago.
fingers crossed that there are more to come. this program seems amazing.

Was your neuro invite a mass email as well? I also applied and haven't heard back yet either way.

Yea, I received one, non-specific email. I’m not sure if I’m being considered for one or both tracks.

Curious to hear people's thoughts on asking for feedback from sites who do not select you for an interview. I just got an email from FCC Petersburg today saying they were not going to be extending an offer to interview me, but was told to move forward in the process with FCC Allenwood on 11/9 I think, so I'm just curious if the TD at Petersburg has any feedback about my application. Thoughts on this? For those who would consider asking for feedback, how would you word it? Thanks in advance!!

Curious to hear people's thoughts on asking for feedback from sites who do not select you for an interview. I just got an email from FCC Petersburg today saying they were not going to be extending an offer to interview me, but was told to move forward in the process with FCC Allenwood on 11/9 I think, so I'm just curious if the TD at Petersburg has any feedback about my application. Thoughts on this? For those who would consider asking for feedback, how would you word it? Thanks in advance!!
I did this today! This is what I sent: "Thank you so much for taking the time to consider my application for [ENTER SITE NAME]. Although I was eager to learn more about the training opportunities offered at your site, I do appreciate you sharing your decision with me. Time permitting, I would love to hear any feedback you can offer regarding my application and the decision to not move forward with an interview. I am hoping your feedback can help me improve future applications. Best of luck with the remainder of your search!"

Reactions: 9 users
I did this today! This is what I sent: "Thank you so much for taking the time to consider my application for [ENTER SITE NAME]. Although I was eager to learn more about the training opportunities offered at your site, I do appreciate you sharing your decision with me. Time permitting, I would love to hear any feedback you can offer regarding my application and the decision to not move forward with an interview. I am hoping your feedback can help me improve future applications. Best of luck with the remainder of your search!"
This is good! Thank you!

Official Site Name: Emory University School of Medicine/Grady Health System
Date Invitation Received: 11/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): unclear if mass or personal email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/11, 12/18, 1/8, 1/15
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Reality TV

Reactions: 11 users
I still have not heard from any sites (applied to mostly neuropsych sites, a couple of health psych). The waiting is just driving me insane. What do you guys think, is it a really bad sign I haven't heard back from anywhere yet?

A great number of sites send out notifications on the date listed in their brochures. If those dates (interview and rejection notification) have not passed, then I would not necessarily worry.

My Junk Email has never gotten so much attention from me as it gets it on these days :D.

• Haha
Reactions: 26 users
Official Site Name: Texas Child Study Center (TCSC) at UT Austin Dell Medical School and Dell Children’s
Specialty Track or Site: PEDS IC
If & How you're staying sane: my partner and my pups!

Rejection from Oregan Health and Science. Sucks that all the more competitive ones seem to send out invites/rejections faster. Leads to some nice cognitive distortions for those of us who were reaching!

• Care
  • Sad
Westcoast Children’s Clinic in Oakland, CA sent out a mass email today saying that my application was received and that they’ll reach out about interviews (or rejections) on or before December 15.

They also said interview dates will likely be January 6, 8, and 11 from 9am-1:30pm.