APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately, Icahn Mount Sinai sent me a rejection :( It was the nicest one I have received but I am so sad and disappointed...

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, Icahn Mount Sinai sent me a rejection :( It was the nicest one I have received but I am so sad and disappointed...
In the same boat. Was really looking forward to that email and definitely feel like I put too much hope into it.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Official Site Name: Terry Children's Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7, 1/8, 1/14, 1/15

Reactions: 2 users
Official Site Name: Gulf Coast VAHCS
Date Invitation Received: 12/18 2:20PM PST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7, 1/13, 1/19, 1/20 morning or afternoon
How I'm staying sane: Currently, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Me too!

Official Site Name: Central Western Massachusetts VA - Leeds/Northampton
Date Invitation Received: 12/7
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Leeds/Northampton
Interview Dates Offered: January 12 & 14
Good luck! I don't know much about the program, but I literally live in its shadow. If you are considering this site, feel free to pm me for info about the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Same! Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Official Site Name: Mt. Sinai Dept. of Rehabilitation Medicine
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Interview Dates Offered: TBD
How I'm staying sane: Knowing this was my last program to hear from. To everyone still in the waiting game- hang in there!!

Official Site Name: Mt. Sinai Dept. of Rehabilitation Medicine
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Interview Dates Offered: TBD
How I'm staying sane: Knowing this was my last program to hear from. To everyone still in the waiting game- hang in there!!
It was my last program to hear from as well! Glad to end this part of the process on a high note.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How I'm staying sane: Sane? What's that? Watched a good horror/thriller called "What Lies Below" on Amazon Prime last night.

I know people got invited to interview at Salt Lake City VA (congrats it looks AMAZING!), but has anyon gotten a rejection?
Kinda floating in the ether here...

• Care
Which part do you mean? Do you mean the doling out of negative consequences for saying terrible things? I have definitely heard some troubling things in my master's level training but not in my doctoral training (at least within my specific program). I have heard troubling things while at prac, though nor typically from externs. Usually from the staff. So....

Well yes that would be nice to see too, because in my experience very little happens, but I was thinking more about the screening out process. Not claiming I know the best way to do that, but I can't help but wonder...

Official Site Name: Kaiser Permanente Walnut Creek
Date Invitation Received: 12/18 6:15pm PST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Interview Dates Offered: Various dates throughout January

Reactions: 6 users
I know people got invited to interview at Salt Lake City VA (congrats it looks AMAZING!), but has anyon gotten a rejection?
I just checked and can't believe it hasn't come yet.... Closure would be nice!

Has anyone who received an interview at University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center gotten confirmation of their interview dates?

Official Site Name: Trinitas Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 12/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Interview Dates Offered: 1/4 & 1/7
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: this was the last site I needed to hear from! Glad it’s over 😊

• Love
How have people been handling scheduling conflicts? One site that just offered me an interview a few days ago only offered one date that I already had another interview on. When I responded with a list of other available dates in January, they then offered me two other dates which were not on my list and which I already have interviews as well. I am panicking a little bit because I truly am interested in this site and would hate to not be able to interview, but I also would not at all feel comfortable reaching out to sites where I confirmed an interview date weeks ago and say that I can no longer make that date. I assume the answer is that if I am MORE interested in this site, then I should try to re-schedule with other sites, but I honestly have no idea how these sites all rank at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Question: if a site (that offered you an interview) wants a proposal defended by ranking deadline, how do you let them know you proposed? Do you just inform them of the date during the interview? Or is it a more formal process?

off work shift over GIF

Just received my last notification. What. A. Rollercoaster this has been, but it’s been fun going through it with all of you! Thanks for the support, humor, and helpful info! I wish we could all go on internship together ♥

Reactions: 16 users
Question: if a site (that offered you an interview) wants a proposal defended by ranking deadline, how do you let them know you proposed? Do you just inform them of the date during the interview? Or is it a more formal process?
Ask them what they prefer.

How have people been handling scheduling conflicts? One site that just offered me an interview a few days ago only offered one date that I already had another interview on. When I responded with a list of other available dates in January, they then offered me two other dates which were not on my list and which I already have interviews as well. I am panicking a little bit because I truly am interested in this site and would hate to not be able to interview, but I also would not at all feel comfortable reaching out to sites where I confirmed an interview date weeks ago and say that I can no longer make that date. I assume the answer is that if I am MORE interested in this site, then I should try to re-schedule with other sites, but I honestly have no idea how these sites all rank at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I don't have great advice but my couple of thoughts: If you don't know how you would rank sites it may be preferable to not undermine your relationship with the sites you already have confirmed dates with (unless one of them already made it clear that they were open to moving things around, magically). If the sites's interviews are somewhat non-overlapping in time, you might suggest a hybrid to the "new" site and ask if you could piece together a couple of interviews over a couple of days (e.g. you could make afternoon times work with them if not mornings)? Not sure if TDs are open to that kind of thing. I would also reiterate my interest (and the availability you do have) and express your interest in interviewing with them should any possibilities open up. Good luck, that's a disappointing situation to be in!

I’m curious if any of the neuro people would mind sharing (DM is fine or on here) how many interviews they’ve secured

Has anyone who received an interview at University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center gotten confirmation of their interview dates?
yes, I received an email confirmation earlier in the week.

Iiiiiits Weekend Update from your Auntie Sue! I'm still waiting to hear from one site, and while my interviews are fewer than I'd hoped, you all remind me to be gracious and maintain so much excitement for the options I do have.

As we move away from the frenetic SDN posts and email refreshing, your AuntSue will post less and get back to smoothering those in her immediate vicinity with (masked) love. That being said, I'm always a DM away, and would love to hear how things are going for you with your interviews and planning for next steps.

In all sincerity, you all have given me so much comfort and cheer over a tough few weeks and for that I will always be grateful.

And as always, remember that your AuntSue is thinking about you, cheering you on, and SO EXCITED for what lies ahead for you.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 26 users
I don't have great advice but my couple of thoughts: If you don't know how you would rank sites it may be preferable to not undermine your relationship with the sites you already have confirmed dates with (unless one of them already made it clear that they were open to moving things around, magically). If the sites's interviews are somewhat non-overlapping in time, you might suggest a hybrid to the "new" site and ask if you could piece together a couple of interviews over a couple of days (e.g. you could make afternoon times work with them if not mornings)? Not sure if TDs are open to that kind of thing. I would also reiterate my interest (and the availability you do have) and express your interest in interviewing with them should any possibilities open up. Good luck, that's a disappointing situation to be in!
Thank you!!! Very helpful-definitely going to suggest the hybrid interviews :)

One of the sites I am interviewing at wants to have my DCT email the site's TD to confirm. When I discussed this with my DCT, she noted that on the Time2Track portion of the AAPI, there was a section that said something in the realm of "dissertation proposal" and then an option to select "required by program for internship"

For my program we had to do dissertation proposal before we could even apply, since that was a requirement for most sites anyways. And there was a question about it on the appi so they could all see when my proposal date was. If for some reason you didn’t answer that on your appi I think the best approach is to just reach out to them and ask how they usually verify proposal dates other than the appi.

What is the acceptable timeline for sending thank you emails? Can I send one 4 days after the interview? Thought I had sent one to a site but it never left my email :/

So I had a similar issue, what I kept in mind was the words of my supervisors: if you confirmed somewhere else...keep your word. It is exceedingly difficult for them to change your date after your confirmation. It will impact their view of you in ranking as well. My advice: if the other site isn't being flexible, that may be a red flag.

Reactions: 3 users
So I had a similar issue, what I kept in mind was the words of my supervisors: if you confirmed somewhere else...keep your word. It is exceedingly difficult for them to change your date after your confirmation. It will impact their view of you in ranking as well. My advice: if the other site isn't being flexible, that may be a red flag.
Thank you! I agree completely.

Question for people interviewing or have interviewed at any of the FBOP sites (or know someone who has) - I’m aware that a drug test is involved in the application process at some point (also for many other sites but my question is specifically about the FBOP since those are in person interviews). Do we know when if these screenings are the same day as the in person interview with the CVA? I ask because I’m prescribed a controlled medication that will definitely show up on the test and will require me to submit verification that I have rx for it. Do I need to get In touch with my PCP to get her to prepare some verification paperwork or is the drug test later on? (And it’s not marijuana I am aware sites don’t care if you have a prescription or not)

Question for people interviewing or have interviewed at any of the FBOP sites (or know someone who has) - I’m aware that a drug test is involved in the application process at some point (also for many other sites but my question is specifically about the FBOP since those are in person interviews). Do we know when if these screenings are the same day as the in person interview with the CVA? I ask because I’m prescribed a controlled medication that will definitely show up on the test and will require me to submit verification that I have rx for it. Do I need to get In touch with my PCP to get her to prepare some verification paperwork or is the drug test later on? (And it’s not marijuana I am aware sites don’t care if you have a prescription or not)
You should already prepare the necessary proof right away. I’m not applying to BOP sites, but I have done external practica at federal sites & also take medications that would show up on a test. It’s absolutely in your best interest to have the paperwork done and on you before it’s requested and/or you fail a test.

You should already prepare the necessary proof right away. I’m not applying to BOP sites, but I have done external practica at federal sites & also take medications that would show up on a test. It’s absolutely in your best interest to have the paperwork done and on you before it’s requested and/or you fail a test.
I did my prac at a BOP and had to get medication proof, but am wondering the same for the CVA process or if it’ll be later. It isn’t as easy to access PCPs with my state shut down.

I did my prac at a BOP and had to get medication proof, but am wondering the same for the CVA process or if it’ll be later. It isn’t as easy to access PCPs with my state shut down.
Would you have to be seen for an appointment, or would it be possible for them to write you a letter without being seen? I was able to do this as my PCP was teleworking and could access my records online. I hope you’re able to be in touch soon! There will certainly be ripple effects for quite some time re: PCPs.

It finally arrived. Rejection from Charles George (Asheville) VA. Now I've heard from every site! Phew, glad that's over with.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Have you heard anything? I think I will email later today probably...

Have you heard anything? I think I will email later today probably...
Still nothing. I was trying to decide how long to wait today before sending an email. I might reach out closer to the end of the workday.

It finally arrived. Rejection from Charles George (Asheville) VA. Now I've heard from every site! Phew, glad that's over with.
Same here (plus a rejection from the Brooklyn VA). Will spend the rest of the morning moping and turn my frown upside down by decorating cookies.

• Care
  • Haha
I skimmed over the main list and didn’t see these two so thought I would add them:

Official Site Name: Lincoln Hills and Copper Laker Schools
Date Invitation Received: 12/18/2020
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email then phone call
Interview Dates Offered: 1/12, 1/13, 1/14

official Site Name: Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility
Date Invitation Received: 12/15
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/19

Still nothing. I was trying to decide how long to wait today before sending an email. I might reach out closer to the end of the workday.
Same here, they are my last site to hear from. I am hoping we might still have a chance to get an invite since the notification was via phone for the other poster. But yeah, I'm also thinking about reaching out to inquire.