APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone interviewed at NYU Rusk rehab or will be soon? I am interviewing tomorrow and I only received a webex link from one person. I reached out to the director and the person who sent me the link asking if I only needed that one link or a link from each of the four interviewers. Anyone able to provide insight??
I interviewed there and received 4 separate links for the 4 separate people, though they did come in rather last minute. Hopefully they will come!

Members don't see this ad.

Official Site Name: Frontier Health Services
Date Invitation Received: 12/17 (email)
Method of Invitation: Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: 1/13 & 1/15

I was really excited about this one!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi! For those starting/prepping for interviews, I thought it might be helpful to share some of the questions I've been asked so far, particularly ones that I felt were a bit tougher/hadn't necessarily prepared for. Maybe we could start a thread? For reference, I have had 4 interviews so far. All for peds neuropsych positions at academic medical centers. Here are some of the odder/tougher questions:

1) What is something you think you'd be really miserable doing on internship?
2) Tell me something interesting about yourself that will help us remember you when we're ranking.
3) Tell me about a time when you stereotyped someone or had to question your own biases.
4) What is your neuropsychology orientation- process or numbers? Would you want to know how someone approached a task or what their score was?
5) What is your clinical comfort level as of now? What things do you feel comfortable with and what are more of a stretch?
6) What is something about you that we should know that isn't on your application?
7) Tell me about a therapy case. I want to be wowed by your conceptualization skills.

That's it for now! I would love to hear from others as we move along in this process. Good luck to everyone! Good vibes being sent your way!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard from the Terry Children's Center? Deadline is tomorrow but app was due so long ago I wonder if I missed a post
I have not. I'm waiting on news from them as well!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Also waiting on Columbia! Fingers crossed for all of us <3 What. A. Soul. Crushing. Process.

My reassurance-seeking has begun to bore even me, so I'll phrase this in the form of a multiple choice just for kicks:

Q: A prospective intern applies to 10 sites and only receives interviews at 2 sites. They are very happy with their 2 interview sites, but (having been taught to trust statistics and whatnot) know that these numbers aren't looking good. How should they feel?
A. It only takes one site! Head up and rock your (meager but mighty) interview opportunities!​
B. It's ok. This happens. Take a breath and calmly form a back up plan for Phase II.​
C. Dang... ya done blew it! Forget Match and gear up for externship apps again.​
D. Woof. Quit your day job, darling. Start selling green juice on instagram and figure out what TikTok means ASAP.​
it seems like they sent automatic rejection emails through a service and it didnt get sent to many applicants. Email the td to confirm!

Hi! For those starting/prepping for interviews, I thought it might be helpful to share some of the questions I've been asked so far, particularly ones that I felt were a bit tougher/hadn't necessarily prepared for. Maybe we could start a thread? For reference, I have had 4 interviews so far. All for peds neuropsych positions at academic medical centers. Here are some of the odder/tougher questions:

2) Tell me something interesting about yourself that will help us remember you when we're ranking.
3) Tell me about a time when you stereotyped someone or had to question your own biases.
4) What is your neuropsychology orientation- process or numbers? Would you want to know how someone approached a task or what their score was?
5) What is your clinical comfort level as of now? What things do you feel comfortable with and what are more of a stretch?
6) What is something about us that we should know that isn't on your application?
7) Tell me about a therapy case. I want to be wowed by your conceptualization skills.

That's it for now! I would love to hear from others as we move along in this process. Good luck to everyone! Good vibes being sent your way!
Dang! those are super tough questions. You're amazing for answering all of them! I also just did a neuropsych interview, but my questions were super generic-- just basic ones about my dissertation and career goals. This just shows that I need to prep more in case my other interviews spring these tough questions on me...

Reactions: 6 users
Received a mass email rejection from Miami VA- Gero track. The email mentioned if you applied to other tracks, they’re still going through applications/making decisions. Good luck!!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
6) What is something about us that we should know that isn't on your application?
#3 seems like a complete setup. Sure we know that as humans we all have biases and stereotypes, but we also know that admitting them even if we are also actively working on them can still lead to negative consequences.

#2 and #6 could be answered identically depending on what one chooses to share.

Reactions: 3 users
#3 seems like a complete setup. Sure we know that as humans we all have biases and stereotypes, but we also know that admitting them even if we are also actively working on them can still lead to negative consequences.

#2 and #6 could be answered identically depending on what one chooses to share.
Respectfully disagree, I think it depends on the bias and how you approached it. For example, you could assume someone from the LGBT community had a hard time coming out to family and found yourself surprised to see they didn’t and learned that you have room to grow with those clients and discuss steps you took to learn from that encounter.

Reactions: 19 users
Official Site Name: Alexandria VA (Louisiana)
Date Invitation Received: 12/15
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: 1/12, 1/13, 1/14, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21

Official Site Name: Miami VA
Date Invitation Received: 12/17
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Geropsych
Interview Dates Offered: TBD in follow-up email

Reactions: 5 users
Respectfully disagree, I think it depends on the bias and how you approached it. For example, you could assume someone from the LGBT community had a hard time coming out to family and found yourself surprised to see they didn’t and learned that you have room to grow with those clients and discuss steps you took to learn from that encounter.
Exactly. Also, if a site asks you a question like #3 just to trap you, then it's not the right site anyway. Training sites should screen people who are racist, classist, etc... or are just generally clueless when it comes to working with diverse populations, but the overwhelming majority of trainees are all in the same boat of examining their areas of growth when it comes to these competencies. So being open, discussing blindspots, and sharing how you're working on it should be encouraged. A site that doles out negative consequences for you being open, honest, and vulnerable in order to improve your competency is not a very good training site.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did I miss a notification date change on list serve? It’s showing 12/15 on APPIC.
Oh! I thought it was 12/25. I actually heard from them at 11 pm. They email saying they will follow up with interview details Did you also apply for the site. It is non-APA and I was still considering if I should interview there.

Exactly. Also, if a site asks you a question like #3 just to trap you, then it's not the right site anyway. Training sites should screen people who are racist, classist, etc... or are just generally clueless when it comes to working with diverse populations, but the overwhelming majority of trainees are all in the same boat of examining their areas of growth when it comes to these competencies. So being open, discussing blindspots, and sharing how you're working on it should be encouraged. A site that doles out negative consequences for you being open, honest, and vulnerable in order to improve your competency is not a very good training site.

I have often wondered what the field would look like if this actually happened in our field, as in would there be as many professionals in it? Some of this weed out should occur in programs and the rest at training sites in my opinion. I never stop being amazed at some of the horrible things I've heard said by people at the various stages of training, the almost licensed, and the newly licensed.

Invite to the Brooklyn VA.
They didn't offer me dates, just told me. Going to have to coordinate to change it.

Reactions: 1 users
I have often wondered what the field would look like if this actually happened in our field, as in would there be as many professionals in it? Some of this weed out should occur in programs and the rest at training sites in my opinion. I never stop being amazed at some of the horrible things I've heard said by people at the various stages of training, the almost licensed, and the newly licensed.

I suspect there would be way too much subjectivity in these theoretical determinations. These programs and training sites would quickly fold due to financial reasons after fighting unending lawsuits.

• Hmm
Invite to the Brooklyn VA.
They didn't offer me dates, just told me. Going to have to coordinate to change it.
Same here! I sent back a list of available dates all throughout January bc I was so afraid of them telling me another one that didn’t work for me. Maybe our dates will work out perfectly and they can switch us :)

was this a mass or personal email?
I think mass-it said "dear applicant" and 2 of my friends got it at the same time as me. Maybe they are going in waves though! or maybe if some people can't find an interview time that works for them (very well might happen for me) they will invite more people, good luck!

Which part do you mean? Do you mean the doling out of negative consequences for saying terrible things? I have definitely heard some troubling things in my master's level training but not in my doctoral training (at least within my specific program). I have heard troubling things while at prac, though nor typically from externs. Usually from the staff. So....

Has anyone scheduled their CVA for the BOPs? I have been waiting for a reply and followed up but have not heard anything....

Whoa. Do you know if this is happening at the other VA Puget Sound (American Lake) location as well? I have a few friends interviewing there.
I don't know anything about the situation, but I'm noticing that both accounts are new with one or two posts only. Could be a valid issue but could also be someone creating accounts because of a grudge.

Any news from Salt Lake City VA and Charles George VA?

Any news from Salt Lake City VA and Charles George VA?
Also still waiting on closure from Charles George VA. A tiny piece of my heart is holding out hope that my invite got lost in the mail (and yes I know they actually made phone calls). Just hurry up and crush it already!!

• Care
Still waiting on Icahn/Mt Sinai and hoping that the 3 hour time difference means I should be getting a response any moment o.o

Has anyone scheduled their CVA for the BOPs? I have been waiting for a reply and followed up but have not heard anything....
I was told by an administrator what day my CVA will take place but was given no further details (I requested more today). Butner still has not confirmed what day they will be interviewing me.

I was told by an administrator what day my CVA will take place but was given no further details (I requested more today). Butner still has not confirmed what day they will be interviewing me.
Okay, yea, same here. I am waiting for Butner and Allenwood. I just scheduled my in-person interview for USMCFP Springfield but that is all I have so far. This is stressing me out........

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Okay, yea, same here. I am waiting for Butner and Allenwood. I just scheduled my in-person interview for USMCFP Springfield but that is all I have so far. This is stressing me out........
SAME! It's literally the last thing I have left unscheduled and it's getting immensely frustrating.

SAME! It's literally the last thing I have left unscheduled and it's getting immensely frustrating.
Down to Butner. I’m hoping they get back to us today, so my anxiety can settle. Also, I talked to an HR rep about trying to find the location closest for the CVA but haven’t heard a word from anyone since to actually schedule. This has been such a long, nerve wrecking process.

Official Site Name: Brooklyn VA
Date Invitation Received: 12/17
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Interview Dates Offered: no choice, was assigned a day in January

rejections: MSBI 12/16, Lenox Hill 12/14

Official Site Name: VA Salt Lake City Health Care System
Date Invitation Received: 12/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Phone call
Interview Dates Offered: 1/13 and 1/20 morning or afternoon

Official Site Name: Gulf Coast VAHCS
Date Invitation Received: 12/18 2:20PM PST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7, 1/13, 1/19, 1/20 morning or afternoon
How I'm staying sane: Currently, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Official Site Name: Gulf Coast VAHCS
Date Invitation Received: 12/18 2:20PM PST
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7, 1/13, 1/19, 1/20 morning or afternoon
How I'm staying sane: Currently, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Stop! I love Buffy. Congrats on the interview by the way!

Official Site Name: Washburn Center for Children
Date Invitation Received: 12/18 3:20 PM CST
Interview Dates Offered: 1/12, 1/26
How I'm staying sane: Comfort Food + Netflix :)

Anyone hear from Kaiser Walnut Creek? I thought they were meant to be notifying today

Thanks! Watching Buffy for the first time ever believe it or not! She is giving me LIFE

it’s so good! I recommend watching it at the same time as Angel. There should be a TV guide online about it.

Anyone hear from Kaiser Walnut Creek? I thought they were meant to be notifying today
I’m still waiting on them too! I have a friend interning there and rumor has it they were still reviewing applications into later this week, so sounds like the notifications will be sent out later rather than sooner.

Has anyone heard yet?
I'm still waiting as well! I've refreshed several times and checked spam! Still nothing! It's definitely after their working hours there, so I'm guessing we may be getting late emails? I'm not sure!

• Care