Applicant etiquette when encountering faculty - tell them I'm applying or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bloobury

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Short question: If you run into someone who works at a school where you're applying, is it cool to casually mention you're applying there?

Context:

I work in public health and occasionally run into folks who work at the local school of medicine. An Associate Dean reached out to me (in my professional capacity) to get some information on a project I'm spearheading. This person oversees curriculum that's very closely related to the work I do, and I know my organization is interested in partnering with our academic institutions on projects for the medical students. We have a project coming up that I'm expecting we'll be collaborating on, so I wanted to introduce myself and let this person know I am familiar with the curriculum and would be happy to talk about collaborating on student projects. Kind of without thinking I included in my response that I applied this cycle with a particular interest in the program that person leads. Now I'm wondering if that was a gaffe. It feels weird to not mention it in case they come across my application but I also realize I may have made that person uncomfortable in communicating with them about my application outside the established process. Aghhhhh!

It's obviously too late for me now but I'd love to know the etiquette, as I expect to encounter more faculty there, and while I'm super stoked about the school (it's my top choice by far) and I want to nerd out about the curriculum and whatnot, I definitely don't want to cross any boundaries.

Members don't see this ad.

From the way you described it, this seems like a totally normal interaction and I don't think enthusiasm is going to hurt you, but this isn't the kind of thing that will earn you points for your application. The worst that will happen is this dean will respond with "oh cool, I hope to see you at our program" and that'll be the end of it.

Given the stuff adcoms have to deal with that I've seen described on this forum, I don't think your innocuous email about interest in their program will make the dean feel uncomfortable. Relax!

Reactions: 1 user
Short question: If you run into someone who works at a school where you're applying, is it cool to casually mention you're applying there?

Context:

I work in public health and occasionally run into folks who work at the local school of medicine. An Associate Dean reached out to me (in my professional capacity) to get some information on a project I'm spearheading. This person oversees curriculum that's very closely related to the work I do, and I know my organization is interested in partnering with our academic institutions on projects for the medical students. We have a project coming up that I'm expecting we'll be collaborating on, so I wanted to introduce myself and let this person know I am familiar with the curriculum and would be happy to talk about collaborating on student projects. Kind of without thinking I included in my response that I applied this cycle with a particular interest in the program that person leads. Now I'm wondering if that was a gaffe. It feels weird to not mention it in case they come across my application but I also realize I may have made that person uncomfortable in communicating with them about my application outside the established process. Aghhhhh!

It's obviously too late for me now but I'd love to know the etiquette, as I expect to encounter more faculty there, and while I'm super stoked about the school (it's my top choice by far) and I want to nerd out about the curriculum and whatnot, I definitely don't want to cross any boundaries.
Sure. I'll bet they'll be flattered. I would be.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Whew. Thanks! I feel like an awkward person trying dating for the first time as an adult. I'm excited but terrified and I want to apologize for everything. :X3: