Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Alpha Centauri
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Backstory:
Like many others here, I am a reapplicant. I was sending an update to a medical school admissions office to let them know I got a new healthcare experience that I believed was relevant and that I wanted the to be aware of. In my eagerness, I made the rookie mistake of not attaching the file to the email. When I realized it a few minutes later, I frantically started composing an apology message with my attachment. While that was happening, I started getting these emails from a staff member at the admissions office. Clearly they weren't meant for me.

View attachment 325677
I was so shocked at the two messages I just received I didn't know what to do. Then I noticed that I had a two missed phone calls from that same staff member. Additionally, I started receiving these "email recall" messages (I received 2 in total):

View attachment 325685

Before I even knew what to think, I get this message (this was after I had sent an email and apologized for not including the attachment).

I decided to call her. I knew that anything said over the phone would be a "he said/she said" situation, but I still wanted to give her the benefit-of-the-doubt and hear what she had to say. Immediately, she said she wanted to talk because she realized the email she sent was "confusing". She then, without me prompting or asking, went through my file and talked about my potential saying "they like upward trends" and so on, as well as some of the more negative aspects of my application. This would have been really well appreciated if it was solicited advice. Instead, I just saw this as her attempt to appease me for what was a clear breach of applicant trust. The best part of this conversation was when I bluntly asked her if those emails were intended for someone other than myself. She then very adamantly said they were intended for me, not anyone else. She reiterated this. However, her email refers to me as "she". Why would anyone use a third-person pronoun when talking to that same individual? It makes no sense.

The last thing any applicant wants is for their file to be ridiculed or mocked so callously. We work *damn* hard to get where we are. The sacrifices, mental fortitude, and precious time to be an applicant are enormous. Needless to say, I was gutted. I sent an email to a Dean and also the Director of Student Affairs, and got no response from them. A whole day passes and then this morning I get this email from the staff member.

I am not a petty person...but this did not seem genuine. It was clear the Dean/Director I sent the email to on Monday forwarded it to her, because she cc'd them in the email and used specific verbiage I used in the email.
This was my response:

I know that perhaps I was being a little too emotional, but I feel it is a reasonable response given everything that has happened this year. This application cycle has been brutal. I can't speak for everyone, but it has taken everything in me to keep pushing forward when the world surrounding me is filled with bleak uncertainty. To have someone who is supposed to be an aid to applicants reveal themselves to be rude and careless is disheartening.

For the record, yes, I have taken the MCAT 5 times. And each time I went through that grueling process of content review and practice, and then that anxiety-riddled waiting period after the exam. This is not a joke to me; so for it to be a source of snide entertainment for someone is disappointing.

Has anyone else had such interactions?

Dude don’t sweat it, another perspective is that Debbie is most likely some unhappy generic greyscale office cubicle 9-5 worker bee secretary... if it makes you feel better, consider her words to hold no value

Reactions: 3 users

GastriqueGraffin

2+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2017
If you want to be successful, you need to grow thick skin. I remember the amount of whining when students who have always been straight A in undergrad get their first failure or even being average. They complain during clerkship and residency and overall those are not good doctors largely because they are too sensitive. You will have a lot of ups and downs beginning with application to med school and ending with retirement.

What they did is unprofessional but your reaction should be one that doesn’t get hurt. Also my recommendation before sending any professional emails is wait 24 hours after you write it and then reread it and really think about it.

TikiTorches

MD Attending Physician
10+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
This doesn't change as an attending. Its always the physician who is held to the highest standard. And as a female doc, some nurses may be out to get you

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Icantplayspades

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
After reading this whole thread, I’m demoralized. Having applied back in 2017, this confirms many of my suspicions. Many people who work in admissions seem curt and petty. I’m almost afraid to reapply at this point. I can see just not cutting the mustard but this just seems absurd.

Reactions: 1 user

Damson

2+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2017
On The Move
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
After reading this whole thread, I’m demoralized. Having applied back in 2017, this confirms many of my suspicions. Many people who work in admissions seem curt and petty. I’m almost afraid to reapply at this point. I can see just not cutting the mustard but this just seems absurd.

it has more or less always been this way. there's plenty of chitchat about applicants going on without our knowledge in offices everywhere. That's not something you can control, dont sweat it

Dec 3, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Remember applying sucks for everyone, not just those that are rejected.

Oct 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
So I happened to come upon this thread and I am not surprised with any of this (especially this school and professionalism issues). I interviewed at one of the branches in person and actually heard one of my interviewers talking to other interviewees about how poorly I interviewed (and how I had no chance in becoming a doctor), right before another interview. After that I was completely lost for words. I reported what had happened and just left it at that.

I’m actually glad this had happened because it pushed me to strive harder and prove that person wrong. If you really want to become a doctor you have to be able to take everything with a grain of salt and push forward to achieve your goals no matter what happens. At the end of the day your in charge of your future. There is a light at the end of this long tunnel. I can happily say that I will be starting to medical school this Fall.

Reactions: 4 users

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Even in actual healthcare, unfortunately, you'll get some people making snide remarks in privately. Sometimes its just humor to take the edge off. Its not professional, but its reality. i've been on the other side of the wall for job and volunteer applications. i dont think someone cracking a mean joke means much for your chances.

they should have given you a much more sincere apology. i think going over your app with you was an attempt at doing so. its just unfortunate because as an applicant you're ultimately a beggar and other than being a good person there is no incentive to be courteous.

This is very stressful and don't let it ruin your confidence. Just move on to the next school, and most importantly, look to what you can do to get in as a reapplicant. that's the only game you're playing.

Reactions: 2 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads