Applicant Shaming by admissions office staff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this is what happens when Karens get into positions of power

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
After reading this whole thread, I’m demoralized. Having applied back in 2017, this confirms many of my suspicions. Many people who work in admissions seem curt and petty. I’m almost afraid to reapply at this point. I can see just not cutting the mustard but this just seems absurd.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
After reading this whole thread, I’m demoralized. Having applied back in 2017, this confirms many of my suspicions. Many people who work in admissions seem curt and petty. I’m almost afraid to reapply at this point. I can see just not cutting the mustard but this just seems absurd.

it has more or less always been this way. there's plenty of chitchat about applicants going on without our knowledge in offices everywhere. That's not something you can control, dont sweat it

Reactions: 3 users
Remember applying sucks for everyone, not just those that are rejected.

Reactions: 3 users
So I happened to come upon this thread and I am not surprised with any of this (especially this school and professionalism issues). I interviewed at one of the branches in person and actually heard one of my interviewers talking to other interviewees about how poorly I interviewed (and how I had no chance in becoming a doctor), right before another interview. After that I was completely lost for words. I reported what had happened and just left it at that.

I’m actually glad this had happened because it pushed me to strive harder and prove that person wrong. If you really want to become a doctor you have to be able to take everything with a grain of salt and push forward to achieve your goals no matter what happens. At the end of the day your in charge of your future. There is a light at the end of this long tunnel. I can happily say that I will be starting to medical school this Fall.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Even in actual healthcare, unfortunately, you'll get some people making snide remarks in privately. Sometimes its just humor to take the edge off. Its not professional, but its reality. i've been on the other side of the wall for job and volunteer applications. i dont think someone cracking a mean joke means much for your chances.

they should have given you a much more sincere apology. i think going over your app with you was an attempt at doing so. its just unfortunate because as an applicant you're ultimately a beggar and other than being a good person there is no incentive to be courteous.

This is very stressful and don't let it ruin your confidence. Just move on to the next school, and most importantly, look to what you can do to get in as a reapplicant. that's the only game you're playing.

Reactions: 2 users