Applicants vs Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElCid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know what the stats are for number of applicants vs number of interviews offered at Dental Schools. This is a general question that I hope has a specific "across the board " answer, but Im particularly interested in Boston University and MUSC (where I have recently been invited to interview).

Also, anyone who has been offered an interview or has applied to MUSC can feel free to shoot me a note. Im curently a graduate student at Indiana University but did my undergrad in Charleston and I worked at MUSC for a year after I graduated so I know a lot about Chareleston and the Medical University in general and have some great things to say about the place.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I know you didn't ask but for those out there just some info:

NYU:

~2100 Applicants
~900 interviewed
~700 accepted
~220 class 2008

So if you apply here you have a ~33% chance of being accepted.

Hey ElCid. I have an interview at MUSC on Nov. 21. The secretary lady who works there (Cristina I think is her name) told me that about 100 in-state people apply per year and about half get accepted. It seems like more people are applying this year than in years past though, so now I'm not even sure. I think you have a good chance with MUSC just b/c they are familiar with you. When is your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
ElCid- I pmed you.
If it didn't go through let me know- my computer is kind of wacking out

in both cases, they only interview 150-200 applicants???

"Case Western interviews 7% of their applicants."

They told me at the interview that they interview 1 in 5 applicants. They would be a tremendous ego boost if I was statistically 1 in about 14!

Oh well...there are worse things in life.

i just interviewed at indiana. here's what they told me

~950 apply each year (800 out of state, 150 Indians)
~200 out of states are interviewed and accept 90 for 30 spots
most indiana residents are interviewed and probably accepted for the 70 spots

Originally posted by ohcdn
i just interviewed at indiana. here's what they told me

~950 apply each year (800 out of state, 150 Indians)
~200 out of states are interviewed and accept 90 for 30 spots
most indiana residents are interviewed and probably accepted for the 70 spots

Did you interview Saturday, out of curiosity? I was on one of the panels this weekend, we could've gotten together for lunch or something. What did you think of the place?

i did interview on sat. A little nervous at first, but my interviewers put me at ease. I had my eyes open for the pic next to your screen name, but i couldnt really find you.

But I thought the school had lots to offer, lots of genuine, caring people, especially Dr. kasberg. The building itself was really old and could use some updating, but i guess thats what comes with being one of the oldest d schools. And I was hoping that we'd do a mock pbl but we never did which was sort of disappointing. For the city itself, i was shocked when most of the stores downtown closed so early. I couldnt find a store to buy food at around 10:00 walking distance from the radisson. but overall a great school. oh and i like the fact that Indiana ad com looks at each and every applicant in detail and not just overall gpa, dat scores.

Originally posted by Reed1978
"Case Western interviews 7% of their applicants."

They told me at the interview that they interview 1 in 5 applicants. They would be a tremendous ego boost if I was statistically 1 in about 14!

I got that information from what was printed on the folder they sent to me for my interview last year.

I'm sure your folder has updated information, perhaps you could post the number of applicants and number interviewed for us.

Originally posted by ohcdn
i did interview on sat. A little nervous at first, but my interviewers put me at ease. I had my eyes open for the pic next to your screen name, but i couldnt really find you.

But I thought the school had lots to offer, lots of genuine, caring people, especially Dr. kasberg. The building itself was really old and could use some updating, but i guess thats what comes with being one of the oldest d schools. And I was hoping that we'd do a mock pbl but we never did which was sort of disappointing. For the city itself, i was shocked when most of the stores downtown closed so early. I couldnt find a store to buy food at around 10:00 walking distance from the radisson. but overall a great school. oh and i like the fact that Indiana ad com looks at each and every applicant in detail and not just overall gpa, dat scores.

ohcdn,

Where else did you apply. I liked indiana, and could use someone to talk to about picking a school, hopefully in about a month or so.

Originally posted by aphistis
Did you interview Saturday, out of curiosity? I was on one of the panels this weekend,

how come i didn't get lucky and have you on my interview panel when i was there?

that would have been pretty nice..