Application Activity Question (yes it is COVID related, sorry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY_Med

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So currently I am an ambulatory tech in the Internal Med department at an extremely large hospital in NY. I requested too transfer to the ED as a tech due to the soon to be need for personnel (and of course what pre med wouldn't want to be on the front lines of what could be the pandemic of the century). I estimate I will be there no less than two weeks, however no way to tell since it will be a need to be basis. On applications should I put this in as a separate activity than my Internal med job? Or should I just put this in the description of that job?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have room, separate them into two separate activities. You could also consider these positions as a joint activity and mark it as one of your three most meaningful activities. Then, you will have the allotted space to explain both roles. There is no right or wrong answer with these situations. Use your best judgement to convey what you've learned during this time. And from one healthcare worker to another, good luck, stay safe, and stay healthy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have room, separate them into two separate activities. You could also consider these positions as a joint activity and mark it as one of your three most meaningful activities. Then, you will have the allotted space to explain both roles. There is no right or wrong answer with these situations. Use your best judgement to convey what you've learned during this time. And from one healthcare worker to another, good luck, stay safe, and stay healthy.

This nailed it. Especially since COVID is going to be such a hot topic, it is worth trying to emphasize how any experiences working in this crisis deepened your desire to be in the field. Everyone will be talking about COVID, make sure your story is worth listening to.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Wait until you see how it plays out... you are still 10 weeks or more from submitting the application.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but would you give the same answer with regards to shadowing hours? I was planning on finishing the majority of my shadowing hours this month, but the doctors that I shadow told me that it wouldn't be safe or wise to come in and thus told me not to.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but would you give the same answer with regards to shadowing hours? I was planning on finishing the majority of my shadowing hours this month, but the doctors that I shadow told me that it wouldn't be safe or wise to come in and thus told me not to.

I would not bother applying if you haven't acquired 50 hours. I'd say postpone applying until Aug 1 if need be. I think you have a better chance of being admitted with a late application and 50 hours of shadowing than an early application with 20 hours.

Wait until you see how it plays out... you are still 10 weeks or more from submitting the application.
This nailed it. Especially since COVID is going to be such a hot topic, it is worth trying to emphasize how any experiences working in this crisis deepened your desire to be in the field. Everyone will be talking about COVID, make sure your story is worth listening to.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thank you all for the responses!

Update: I actually requested, and have begun working this past week in HIDU (Highly Infectious Disease Unit) or the "covid quarantined floor". I will probably reach back out at a later date (closer to app) about what to do about it, for now i'll just immerse myself in the role.

Thank you!