Sep 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
So I'm a DO student who has poor comlex scores. My question is do I take the usmle first before applying to MD rads? I'm not interested in hearing about how I wont get in or anything. I'll deal with that when it comes. I just would like some input in whether to apply before taking usmle step 1 (scheduled October 7) or apply and then release my usmle when I get it. Any help is appreciated!

jmarkant

7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2012
NY, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I'm a DO student who has poor comlex scores. My question is do I take the usmle first before applying to MD rads? I'm not interested in hearing about how I wont get in or anything. I'll deal with that when it comes. I just would like some input in whether to apply before taking usmle step 1 (scheduled October 7) or apply and then release my usmle when I get it. Any help is appreciated!
october 7th is too late scores wont get back in time for the majority of interviews, why don't you look at DO programs?

OP
S
Sep 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I guess the simple answer is that there are only 8 DO programs vs many more on the MD side. I understand October is pretty late but my fear is that I'll get rejected from many MD residencies just because I don't have a USMLE score to report.

OP
S
Sep 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Those options sound like the same thing.
Sorry I did a poor job explaining. My fear is that some MD residencies will reject me before I can get my USMLE reported. I don't know if they will even look at my USMLE score if I upload it a month after they download my application ( if that makes sense)

jmarkant

7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2012
NY, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sorry I did a poor job explaining. My fear is that some MD residencies will reject me before I can get my USMLE reported. I don't know if they will even look at my USMLE score if I upload it a month after they download my application ( if that makes sense)
I don't think they will but if you get an interview you can update them with the score. id apply to both and have a serious backup plan.