Application material order of arrival

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winnie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but...

Does it matter what order things arrive in? I mean, does it matter if the letters of recommendation arrive well in advance of the actual application form?

Members don't see this ad.

winnie said:
This is probably a dumb question, but...

Does it matter what order things arrive in? I mean, does it matter if the letters of recommendation arrive well in advance of the actual application form?

It doesn't matter, but from personal experience, I would recommend sending everything in one package. I know some schools ask for the recommender to send the letters directly, but if they sign across the seal of the envelope, it indicates you didn't open it. Seriously, one of the biggest headaches was missing letters, transcripts, etc. When masses of e-mail get sent to schools, it's not a surprise that things get misplaced or filed incorrectly or just plain lost.

Also, if you get your profs to send the letters to you, you will know that they did it. I had a friend whose recommender forgot to write a letter for her and he realized it after the deadline. It turned out okay because the deadlines are quite arbitrary (meaning, you could still send things after the deadline and they won't penalize you for it), but still...

My 2 cents.

Good luck!

Honey, relax :) The secretaries have seen application materials before and will open a file for you. But I do recommend calling the school a couple weeks before the deadline to verify that they got everything (call the graduate secretary).
Good Luck.

Thanks, guys. :oops: . Something about this whole process brings out the neurotic in me.