Application type photos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PluckyDuk8

Pluck of all Plucks
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I need to send the school where I was accepted 8 head shots. For my applications, I used my graduation pictures because not too many schools I applied to requested them. However, I do not want to use those because I don't have so many left and they are expensive. Any ideas of how to find a good place for headshots (or especially if you are in the chicago area where did you go to get them)? Passport photos are acceptable but those usually only give you 2 or so pics and they are expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by PluckyDuk8
Hey all,
I need to send the school where I was accepted 8 head shots. For my applications, I used my graduation pictures because not too many schools I applied to requested them. However, I do not want to use those because I don't have so many left and they are expensive. Any ideas of how to find a good place for headshots (or especially if you are in the chicago area where did you go to get them)? Passport photos are acceptable but those usually only give you 2 or so pics and they are expensive.
I had my wife take some digital head shots of me up standing against the wall. We picked the best one, and she put 8 copies on a 8 X 10 sheet with photoshop. We then sent them to www.ophoto.com and they made a print for us using chemical paper. It cost just a couple of bucks, and it looked remarkably professional.

I don't know what everyone else did for their photos, but I just put on a nice shirt, stood against a white wall, and had my boyfriend snap off a whole roll for me. He has a nice camera, so they turned out good, but I am sure any camera would do. I had to send out like 15 photos, so it was much cheaper that any other method. I just cut the pictures into passport size, and I honestly doubt any school knew the difference....

Members don't see this ad :)
Just go to any Osco where they have a film/camera department and they'll print out a sheet of 'passport size' photos for like $7.00 or something. Just let them know it's not really for a passport so they don't have to fiddle with the dimensions or anything like that. This is what I did when I needed them for applications.

Maybe you could go to a mall where they have those picture booths and get one from there if it works. One of my friends did it.

Or, what I did was have someone take a picture of me, develop the film and take it to Walgreens where they have those nifty machines where you could shrink or enlarge your picture. I think I had 20 copies on 1 page for about $8.

-SS

If you like your grad photos, just go to Kinkos and get color copies. They turn out great and are cheap. Just make sure you use the photo paper.

wowee quick responses...the memo said the pics had to be professional photos and that the machine ones were not acceptable. My graduation wallet pictures are too big...i remember cutting them down way too much for the application requirements and that may not be good for id purposes, so there goes the kinko's idea (good one though!) I just remembered that I had an aquaintance from a while back that does professional photography. He's not going to charge for the sitting and is just charging for the wallets. Sweet.

Which school makes you send in 8 headshots? that seems a bit odd.. what for? just curious

Loyola...I'm assuming it's for things like id's and our files...

I faced a similar dilemma of needing professional shots and running out of graduation photos. What I did was call the studio that did my graduation photos and asked for their permission to reprint the portraits. They faxed a sheet to me giving their permission. Then I took a graduation photo and the permission to the Kodak machine at a local drugstore, where it scans the single photo and reprints a bunch on a page. I think I got 9 on a page, for $7! And they are technically professional shots.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by PluckyDuk8
...the memo said the pics had to be professional photos and that the machine ones were not acceptable. My graduation wallet pictures are too big...i remember cutting them down way too much for the application requirements and that may not be good for id purposes, so there goes the kinko's idea (good one though!) I just remembered that I had an aquaintance from a while back that does professional photography. He's not going to charge for the sitting and is just charging for the wallets. Sweet.

I've heard that your local police department will do a great mug shot. Also side views. Perhaps, even for free! It may very well hurt your application status, however.

Attention: Sarcasm alert!!!

If you have a Wolf Camera, you can always get a sheet of pics for 8 bucks or 16 bucks depending on if you have it on a disk or if they take it for you.

I used it for my passports, all my apps and it was awesome.

Hmmm...problem is my graduation pics are 3.5 inches by 2.5 inches...and I don't think I could crop them to 2x2. Unless these cool photo machines can proportionately smush them- but then again it would make it out of proportion to get it to 2x2 so I dunno.

The machine's name is the Kodak Picture Maker.

And you can absolutely take a 3.5x2.5 portrait and make it a 2x2 on the machine -- that's exactly what I did. You probably don't want to simply convert it, but you can shrink it proportionally and then crop your picture digitally. Or you can just shrink it and cut the pictures to size yourself after they're all printed out.

What I'd recommend is just to find a store in your town that has the machine and when you get there, ask someone from the film processing area to help you figure it out -- they've probably helped a million other people try to figure out similar things and know the machine really well.

Also, you don't pay anything until the page prints out, so you can fool around with things on the screen as much as you want.

And no, I don't work for Kodak ;)