Application update about marrow donation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juneau1995

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does it make sense to update schools that I’ve been selected as a bone marrow donor? Or after I’ve donated?

I’m hesitant because while the action is significant, the process has been passive as opposed to volunteer positions where I took initiative to make a difference or solve a problem. I joined a registry 5-6 years ago and was recently notified that I was a preliminary match for an anonymous patient. Had some bloodwork done, was selected as the donor and am scheduled to donate soon.

Curious to see if anyone has thoughts on sending this as an update or keeping it quiet. Certainly wasn’t thinking about my future med school app when I joined the registry.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
Does it make sense to update schools that I’ve been selected as a bone marrow donor? Or after I’ve donated?

I’m hesitant because while the action is significant, the process has been passive as opposed to volunteer positions where I took initiative to make a difference or solve a problem. I joined a registry 5-6 years ago and was recently notified that I was a preliminary match for an anonymous patient. Had some bloodwork done, was selected as the donor and am scheduled to donate soon.

Curious to see if anyone has thoughts on sending this as an update or keeping it quiet. Certainly wasn’t thinking about my future med school app when I joined the registry.
No, it sounds like u did it just so u could put it on your app vs. genuine altruism.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think this belongs on a medical school application. Even though you're trying to present yourself in the best light by demonstrating your generosity, drawing attention to it in an application would demonstrate to me a lack of self-awareness.

I do think it would be appropriate to discuss in an interview (once you've done it) if someone asks you about something you've done for others, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

Will schools send me love if I tell them about selling my kidney to the black market...?

I jest, but overall thank you very much for donating. You are going to help so many people. But no, ADCOMs will not care for this as an update, and if you are donating parts of your body for a MED school acceptance than you are really doing this process wrong. Please do still donate if that is your choice, but do it for the patients not for an update...

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,

Please don’t game the system that’s already highly rigged..

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all. Feel the same way but wanted a little confirmation.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.