Application Updates: Please Pose Here to Update What's Happening With Your Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WTG Captain!!!! Let us know when you hear :)

My person at Milwaukee couldn't talk this morning due to wife having car problems, so I am calling back at 12 PM my time....he did say he is looking forward to talking with me.
The program accepts 10 students between the clinical/experimental groups, and say they only interview a select few....so I'm keeping my fingers crossed XXX (those are my fingers crossed)
Apparently formal interviews there are 2/11 (but I'll be doing phone interview) and they let everyone know by 3/14 at the latest. So that's only another 7 weeks of waiting arg I'll post later after I speak with him :)

Members don't see this ad.

Twiggers: Congrats and good luck on the phone interview! I'm sure you'll be great! I agree that this waiting is really stressful........

hi all,

fyi: i just called each and every one of my schools and asked when the interview dates were. every school told me... it was that easy.. and at least now i feel a little bit better, or at least like i can semi-plan life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tamateeta-

Could you post when the interview dates are for the schools you applied to? That would be great : )

Also, I am still waiting on Dr. Fauber to call me ( I got the email on Monday) its pretty nervewracking! Does he ask questions or just set up a time??

Great idea Tama! I am thinking of doing that myself...I've got a 12/1 deadline school that I still haven't heard anything from (and I personally spoke with a faculty member months before) and I'm kind of curious.

If I do go ahead and do that I will post the info.

I guess you can't totally cross a school off after the interview date though...one of my schools said they keep a "backup" list if the interviews don't go well.

I tried to call the Milwaukee guy just a few minutes ago, but he is not in his office...I'm not scheduled to call him until 2 PM my time, but a class got cancelled so I figured I'd try to get rid of the stress early lol no such luck.

Checked my email...nothing from Temple yet *sigh* oh well...I'll try to justify it by saying I really didn't want to move to Philly anyways lol

Well got off the phone with Milwaukee just a few minutes ago.
Interview day is 2/11/2005. He told me phone interviews could be done in lieu of in person. I mentioned that I may not be able to make it due to 3 midterms being that week (which is the honest truth). He said it is advantageous to come done to Milwaukee since they'll be having dinners, tours, etc.
I'm bummed now....I really can't afford to fly out (I'm in California) or take the time off of work and school.
He said around 30 people are invited for interviews, and the web site said 10 people are chosen. So I've got around a 33.3% chance right now.
He did advise that if I can't come down there to start emailing the faculty that I said I was interested in so that I could start developing some type of relationship/rapport with them. I guess I will start that tonight.
Am I shooting myself in the foot by not going down there for the interview?
And egawds...what if it turns out that it is the only interview I get and then I screw it up by being cheap and committed to school. ARGGGGGG

Has anyoneapplied to Kent State and if so has anyone heard anything yet?

You will get in Twiggers! Keep us posted and make sure you send lots of info about yourself and why you should be accepted! Do not be bashful. Good Luck!

i know that this process can be very rough on our wallets, but i think that you should really try to go out for the interview, i mean what is a couple hundred dolars in the grand scheme of things!

Goodluck!

Twiggers: DEFINITELY GO! Suppose you didn't go and then didn't get in; you might kick yourself later thinking it was because you didn't fork over the money to travel there.

I don't know if people are checking other boards or not, but someone just heard from Boston about an interview, for those of you who have applied there!

It sounds like everyone's interviews are going well. Good luck everyone!

Twiggers: I'm facing the same dilemma (although of course mine is hypothetical at this point :rolleyes: ). I will have to travel a lot further, and am wondering if schools will be more sympathetic about people not coming from overseas. <<On the other hand, a friend of mine had the the U. of Iowa pay for both her and her partner to fly there from Japan a few years ago. Not bad, huh?>>

You will probably hear from other places next week. Maybe wait till then --see if you can line up a multistop tour? It does seem that you have superior social skills and a good interview could really be your chance to shine :) .

...I meant to say "group interview" not "good interview." Of course you will have a good interview!

BTW, anyone else having trouble with the "edit" button lately?

I know...I'm in a dilemma...the cost is an issue, but the school thing is the bigger issue...it really is a bad week and I have very unsympathetic professors this quarter. Arg..... I'm hoping the profs I emailed today will give me some indication of whether the phone interview is OK or not.
I asked several schools about their phone interview policy, and only 2 (Milwaukee was not one of them) indicated it could hinder my chances.

Psych: What other boards exist that would possibly give us updates about schools calling for interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello ALL.

This thread is very helpful to me.
I applied for both clinical and cognitive psychology (neuroscience) programs.
Several programs in COG also require personal interviews.
However, does anybody know similar webpage for cognitive psychology?
Good luck! :)

Well, I heard from one of the professors I emailed. HE said that he would encourage me to come out for the interview since it was where I would be spending the next 5 years, but did say that a phone interview would not hurt my chances of getting an offer. He also provided me with emails for some of his grad students, as well as said he would have no problem talking with me. SO I'm going to prepare like crazy this weekend (downloading some of his articles etc.), and then respond with some times for him to call me.

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on SDN in a while, but I thought I'd share where I applied and wait through this annoying process with you all. :)

I applied to all clinical psych programs:
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas
University of Houston
George Washington University
San Diego State University/University of Cali San Diego Joint Program
Duke University

If anyone has interview info or just info in general about these schools I'd appreciate it!

Good luck to everyone in this process!!!

hey I've applied at Houston and UT southwestern too. Let me know if you hear anything.

Argggg...damn schools are frustrating me. Just got an email from one (and of course I'm on Pacific coast time and it's in midwest) saying they don't have a bank statement, financial affidavit, and transcripts. Then a fine print at bottom says a transcript is only official if sent directly by institution. Well gee...would've been nice if it said that somewhere on the psych page checklist. And for some reason schools keep tihnking I'm an international applicant because I am a Canadian citizen with US permanent residency (which means I'm NOT international). arggg
sorry just had to vent. What tees me off is that I sent in application 25 days ago and now they tell me, and on a friday afternoon when it's too late for me to do anything now.

I would go too. I've done both phone and in-person interviews, and it's very hard to make a lasting, positive impression over the phone. Plus, are your classes really going to matter at all if you get into grad school? Most interviews are on the weekend too so you'd only miss Friday at worst.

Actually this interview is on a Friday, and they want students there Thursday evening for a dinner. I've already looked at plane flights and in order to get there by 6 PM I'd have to leave at 6 AM pacific time. That day (Thursday) happens to be the day of an exam, with a prof who is not a very nice one.
I've been flip flopping over this since yesterday.
On one hand it is not a top choice school, was sandwiched in the middle. On the other hand, it may be the only darn invite that I get.

If I don't get in this year I think I'm gonna run away to Vegas and become a lion trainer at the MGM ...just so I don't have to go through all this again. Too much stress. I thought applying for permanent residency down here was bad (with the 2 year wait) but this is worse lol

Twiggers: I know quite a few people who have done psych interviews by phone from Japan, and all of them have gotten in. No-one I know has traveled for the interview unless their ticket was paid for. But, again, I don't know if that is because profs are less inclined to interpret a phone interview as a lack of interest when people are overseas.

I think the trick will be convincing them that you are really interested, it just is impossible for you to get there during exam week. Convincing them of that seems do-able to me, especially if are really well-prepped (e.g., by being familiar with their work) and enthusiastic.The advantage of phone interviews is that you can use notes!

BTW, I have the same problem with people assuming I need a student visa even when I clearly stated that I didn't in my cover letter, and provided documentation. What gets me is that no-one mentions it until you ask for confirmation that your file is complete. By the way, two school have told me that my file was complete when I later found that it wasn't (due to a GRE snafu). :mad:

Another idea is to tell them that you intend to visit the school if you are accepted before making a final decision. That might make it clearer that it is not a question of interest but of scheduling.

Guess what? I got an interview from the Univ of Texas, Austin, but for counseling psychology. I am very excited, but nervous to commit in case it conflicts with other schools, but I don't want to start counting my chickens too early.

Has anyone heard from USC (So Cal), Univ of Rhode Island, Univ of Connecticut or the Univ of Nevada? These are most of the clinical programs that I applied to. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hi sunny,

I've applied to U Conn, and haven't heard anything yet. If you hear from them let me know and I'll do the same!

Hi Twiggers--

I definitely will let you know. I am a little worried about my application there bec, my rec was sent in a little bit late. But I received an email and a letter that it was complete in the second week of Jan. But then, last Friday I got an email saying that the letter still had not arrived and to resend. At the same time they said that it was possible that the letter was still being processed. It is hard to respond politely and with a sense of urgency with such mixed messages!!

I can't wait for this process to be over! Aaaarrrrgghhh!

sunny

twiggers said:
Hi sunny,

I've applied to U Conn, and haven't heard anything yet. If you hear from them let me know and I'll do the same!

I don't even think I received anything from them saying the application was complete.

I'm getting off work early today and calling all these places that haven't confirmed apps, etc. Plus I'm going to get the interview dates, etc. I'm tired of this waiting lol

BTW I worked out my problem with that school I was freaking out about on Friday. Turns out because I am a canadian citizen the ppl chose to overlook the next question which says I'm a permanent resident and classified me as international. Ugh how annoying...now I'm wondering how many other schools chose to do the same thing, and if it messed with my apps being received by department in time. Fortunately this school confirmed they sent my app to dept. on 1/10, and the screw-ups can be fixed when/if I'm accepted.

Just saw on another board that people are receiving calls this morning from Temple for 2/4 and 2/7 interviews. There is still hope for some of us lol

I have a question about interviews. I have been invited to interview at a school that has not been specific about who will be interviewing you, they say that you will have 2 faculty interviews. I assumed that it would be the people I had applied to work with. But, when I went back to the department website, one of the folks I had applied to, is not there. Should I assume that she will not be on faculty next year? Is it appropriate to email the administrative assistant about whether or not she will be a faculty member, or will that make me look uninformed. Also, they have provided a list of current students that have agreed to answer questions. Would it be okay to ask them a question like this? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi sunny,

I would ask the assistant first...if ya don't give your name it won't make you look bad :)
I don't know if the students would be a good place...they might not know the answer to that (if they never worked with that faculty member).
When you talk to the assistant maybe ask them if they know which faculty members it will be with....I'm sure they'd be willing to help :)

My school I'm interviewing at....when I emailed the profs I indicated I wanted to work with (4 of them) my top choice guy said that since he was my top choice he would definitely be interviewing me. Maybe that is how it works at your place as well.

I don't know if anyone here applied to Buffalo - clinical, but I heard from a prof there today. They are doing phone interviews this week!

PS--Twiggers, thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

I also heard from Buffalo this afternoon (clinical psychology). I have my phone interview this week. Do you think this is another weeding out method before they conduct on-campus interviews?

I didn't apply there, but I looked into the school awhile back. As far as I remember, they only do phone interviews. There is no in person interview involved.

Hi Winnie--

Do you remember where you saw that there are no in person interviews? I have a very hard time navigating their site (it seems to do something to my computer!) and it closes down, consistently, before I get too far, but I would really like to know about their application process.

Thanks!

winnie said:
I didn't apply there, but I looked into the school awhile back. As far as I remember, they only do phone interviews. There is no in person interview involved.

oh man...I just typed a huge message regarding all of my schools...and for some reason it didn't go through.
Well to sum up...all my schools are beginning to contact.
Temple said they're still reviewing apps and contacting people so there is still hope.

Ohio State is finished contacting people. So I am crossing them off.

My 2 top schools are contacting within 7-10 days, one of them doesn't interview so it'll be either a rejection and/or acceptance letter. Keeping fingers crossed. If I don't hear in 14 days then I'm calling and asking :)

Sunny-

The website only says that they encourage applicants seriously being considered for admission to visit the campus. To me, that implies a visit before acceptance since you are being "seriously considered" but not yet accepted. That's why I thought these telephone interviews would be a weeding out method. But if it's not, that's good too!!!

psychapp said:
Sunny-

The website only says that they encourage applicants seriously being considered for admission to visit the campus. To me, that implies a visit before acceptance since you are being "seriously considered" but not yet accepted. That's why I thought these telephone interviews would be a weeding out method. But if it's not, that's good too!!!

You're right. The website does imply that they want you to visit. I don't have it anymore, but the pamphlet I got from them 2(?) years said that interviews were by phone. Also the Insider's Guide just says "Telephone required."

Sorry, I guess I don't know...

Does anyone know if Duke is finished making offers for interviews? Thanks:) Isn't this waiting horrible?

This morning I got a call for a clinical interview at Emory (emailed by Vanderbilt last week for an interview)

Congrats on Emory and Vandy, nosleep!! Also applied to Emory for clinical. When is the interview for them? And was it the prof that contacted you? THANKS!!

Congrats on interviews you guys! Sounds like you're going to have alot of options psychapp :)
Keep us updated everyone on the outcomes of the interview!

I just got my package in the mail from Milwaukee, but I emailed the director and told him I wouldn't be coming (he is also one of my choices). Apparently we're supposed to interview with 2-3 faculty and a group interview.

Last edited:
Psychapp, the call was from Dr. Emory (no joke) this morning at about 8am, he told me to call a lady in the dept. to set up/pick out an interview day/time; however, I've been unable to reach her thus far.

Isn't that funny that they have a professor at Emory named Dr. Emory? I got a kick out of that when I first looked into the program. Anyway, congrats on the interview. Emory is pretty competitive. I actually got my masters from Emory so if you have any questions about the school or area in general feel free to send me a message!! Hopefully I'll hear this week as well! :thumbup:

Dream:
I haven't seen anyone (on other boards) posting about those schools. I have heard some conversation on other boards about Rutgers, but I tihnk it was mostly about not hearing anything.
Keep checking though...someone will post something :)

Just heard from Emory about an interview, from the professor I want to work with!! How exciting (and scary)!! Good luck to everyone.....

I have not heard anything from Duke yet.
But on other forums, some people have heard already.

Has anyone heard anything from
UT Southwestern?
U of Houston
George Washington
San Diego State/ U of Cali San Diego

Good luck to everyone who has interviews!!!

I have a friend who has a Duke Interview on Feb 4th.

Psychapp, congrats, who do you want to work with/when is your interview?