Application Updates: Please Pose Here to Update What's Happening With Your Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sanman said:
hey,
I just got accepted to the virgiinia consrtium PsyD program. They even bumped up my assisstantship a $1000 over what they told me at the interview. I think they really want me to go there. I've been contacted by 3 professors and the program director tried getting a hold of me friday, sunday, and finally today.

Hey Sanman,

I also was accepted into the Virginia Consortium PysD program. Seems like a good deal. Do you have any thoughts on if you will accept? I got a good feeling, but the geographical change is a slight draw back for me. Thanks alot, many difficult choices right?

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked the program and got along with the faculty. It is certainly one of my top two. However, the CUNY acceptance was out of the blue and threw me for a bit of a loop. So, once I go there and speak to them I will make a decision. I will probably withdraw from my other two programs when I hear from them.

Sanman said:
Also, because the have 3 academic semsters you finish about a 1 to 1.5 years earlier.

Wow...having the opportunity to finish the course work in 3 years would be a big selling factor for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey,
Thanks for the advice Paen. Those were my major questions for the program. I especially want to know about funding because the website is very unclear about what they are able to provide. I'm also from the area and so that would be nice as far as CUNY goes.

PsyD,
It is nice because it will allow me to get out and make money. However, I pretty much won't have any time off, since classes go all summer. So, its a tradeoff.

Hey Paen,
I meant that within the program the academic semester is in the summer and therefore I would have to give it up. I wasn't comparing it to CUNY. I think you are right about the issues that have to be looked at. These programs could lead me in slightly different career directions./ I am also concerned about the quality of life of the students at the program. The students in Virginia seemed quite happy, we'll see how the CUNY students feel.

EL CAPeeeTAN-- Any word from RFUMS yet? I suppose it's still a little early...

amimi said:
EL CAPeeeTAN-- Any word from RFUMS yet? I suppose it's still a little early...

They said that they were going to meet Monday and start contacting people this week. I called yesterday and was told that the initial offers have gone out (letters and a phone call) I did not get an initial offer. Bummer!!! However they did not reject me either they said that as people decline their accpetabce they will move down the list and make additional offers. I was told that I still have a good chance (whatever that means). Anyways I will keep you posted. I am a little bummed out but I am keeping optimistic.

amimi-

did you also apply to madison-clinical? did you ever hear anything from them?

psychapp said:
amimi-

did you also apply to madison-clinical? did you ever hear anything from them?

I applied there but haven't heard anything since (no interview invites, etc.) so I assume I'm out. It was a reach school anyways.

Re: RFUMS--I really liked the program, so I'm sort of bummed I wasn't offered an acceptance. They invited ALOT of people for interviews though, so I figured my chances were pretty small going in. Hope you do well on the alt. list! :luck:

Guys I am going crazy waiting for CCNY- the clinical program to get back to us. I heard a rumor that they just made their decisions and made phonecalls on Tuesday.
Has anyone heard from them or heard the same rumor? It was my top choice.
I hope I got in :(

I just got an acceptance call today in case anyone is waiting to hear from them. Good luck. :p

Hi AJ1212, I did get a call from CCNY on tuesday. But i am not sure how they are handling alternatives or waitlisted people so maybe there is still hope

AJ1212 said:
Guys I am going crazy waiting for CCNY- the clinical program to get back to us. I heard a rumor that they just made their decisions and made phonecalls on Tuesday.
Has anyone heard from them or heard the same rumor? It was my top choice.
I hope I got in :(

I just got back from my interview at St. Louis U to find I got accepted to Xavier University so I will be declining the other offers I have recieved up to this point. I am still waiting to hear from Indiana State University and Saint Louis before I make my decision.

On a side note: If anyone out there is looking for a good quality and partially funded PsyD program (everyone is funded his or her first year, and most in continuing years), you might want to check out Xavier. They only take 16, they almost always place everyone in APA accredited internships...(it was 100% last year, and this year 15 got matched, and all got placed). I would say it is a fine fit for people who are socially concerned and committed to working with underserved populations. P.S. the campus looks like a bunch of castles! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an offer (yesterday) from University of Florida (child clinical). I am very happy and am most likely planning to accept. Anyway I just wanted to remind all those that are still waitlisted/alternates that it can change in a moment and not to give up hope yet ( I was waitlisted at 4 places! and was getting very frustrated). Good luck all.

Hi all:

I had my first and only interview friday at SLU, i have to say that i was really impressed with their program and i feel as the my interviews went well, so hopefully things will work out and ill hear from them soon! goodluck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear from their schools! :D

RES said:
I've officially accepted at Purdue and declined the rest of my offers!

Thanks to everyone on these boards, it was really helpful to have a community of people all in the same boat! :)

Good luck to everyone!!

Hey all, I was away for a week, so I'm just catching up now. No news on my end, but congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

RES- sorry I won't be seeing you at Kent next year. I'm still waiting to hear from other places before I make my final decision, but they are slow in coming!

Hey Sara --

I was trying to do the same things, but I keep getting emails from one of the programs I was accepted to. HAve you heard alot from the people who are waiting on decisions from you? I just want a few more days, but I am a little concerned that they are getting impatient. (I should mention that I have yet to receive the official offer letter, which is when I said I would contact them).

Has anyone else heard a lot from programs they were accepted to?

Thanks!

SaraL124 said:
Hey all, I was away for a week, so I'm just catching up now. No news on my end, but congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

RES- sorry I won't be seeing you at Kent next year. I'm still waiting to hear from other places before I make my final decision, but they are slow in coming!

Hey Sara!! Welcome back! Hopefully you were away somewhere warm and fun! It was definitely a hard decision to make, but Purdue really was the best choice for me and given my career goals the best fit and training to help me in achieving those goals. Definitely had to say no to Kent though and Miami U of Ohio, but unfortunately I can only go to one school. Good luck to you and definitely keep me posted on where you end up!! :)

sunny22 said:
Hey Sara --

I was trying to do the same things, but I keep getting emails from one of the programs I was accepted to. HAve you heard alot from the people who are waiting on decisions from you? I just want a few more days, but I am a little concerned that they are getting impatient. (I should mention that I have yet to receive the official offer letter, which is when I said I would contact them).

Has anyone else heard a lot from programs they were accepted to?

Thanks!
I got the acceptance phone call a few weeks ago and then an email last week from Kent asking to know where I was in my decision making process. I emailed back and said I was strongly considering them, but I have to weigh all my options equally. I wish I would find out about rejections already so I could just accept them and get it all over with!

Wow...I didn't know that schools did that (emailed to find out where you are in the decision process). Don't let them pressure you into making a bad decision :)

Is there any way you can call the schools that you haven't received rejections from and ask them what's up?

BTW..got official rejection from Temple on Friday lol It's really not so depressing when you knew that over a month ago!

I sent out 3 decline letters this weekend. Man...those were tough. I feel really bad about it.

Has anyone heard from any of the clinical programs at University of Pittsburgh?

Good luck to you all~

I got an offer last night from Yeshiva's Clinical-Health Psych PhD Program.

It WAS one of my top choices before I found out that the program isn't APA accredited and there's no tuition remission or stipend....and it's not cheap to go there either.

cmuhooligan said:
Yea! I just got accepted to SLU!!!!! :)

that's great!! i am really excited for you! :clap:

EL CAPeeeTAN said:
Congrats Hooligan!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!

Way to go buddy!! I found out I got wait listed at ISU so I decided to accept at Xavier. Good luck and congrats!

cmuhooligan said:
Yea! I just got accepted to SLU!!!!! :)

Congratulations!!!!!!!! from me too

winnie said:
Congratulations!!!!!!!! from me too

i decided on clinical - law/psych at university of nebraska-lincoln! corn, anyone? anyone else headed out that way?

by the way, congrats to everyone getting offers/accepting! i was wait-listed at every school where i interviewed (5 places)... so there is hope.

Does anyone here know when Drexel's offers go out. I'm dying here.

SaraL124 said:
Does anyone here know when Drexel's offers go out. I'm dying here.

To answer my own question: TODAY!! I got an offer from Drexel today around 12. I'm so excited!

SaraL124 said:
To answer my own question: TODAY!! I got an offer from Drexel today around 12. I'm so excited!

CONGRATULATIONS Sara!!! Are you going to accept?

My fiance is at the top of the high priority waitlist at U of Penn med school. We are trying to use all of our connections to get him accepted, and if that happens, then I will definitely attend Drexel. Right now Philly is a better choice for us than Cleveland, but I would also be happy to attend Kent if the UPenn waitlist thing doesn't work out. So I have to wait and see.

I also found out I was accepted at Adelphi, but I will probably decline the offer.

deleted

Last edited:
I heard on another forum that St. John's will notify of acceptances in the first week of April. I'm also waiting to hear from them....and they are taking their sweet time!

SaraL124 said:
My fiance is at the top of the high priority waitlist at U of Penn med school. We are trying to use all of our connections to get him accepted, and if that happens, then I will definitely attend Drexel. Right now Philly is a better choice for us than Cleveland, but I would also be happy to attend Kent if the UPenn waitlist thing doesn't work out. So I have to wait and see.

I also found out I was accepted at Adelphi, but I will probably decline the offer.

Congrats! (I'm the one who was telling you about last year's Drexel interview).

I was notified today via e-mail from George Washington's PsyD program, letting me know that they intend to recommend me for acceptance!!!! So I am excited. yeeeehaww!

psychanon said:
Congrats! (I'm the one who was telling you about last year's Drexel interview). Are you going to get a chance to visit before you decide? Let me know if you have questions about Philly-- I lived there for two years. It gets a bad rap sometimes, but I loved it and miss it terribly.

Hey. Thanks for the congrats! I haven't had a chance to visit, but I hope to do so sometime next week. I live in New York City right now, so it would be pretty easy for me to get down there and back on the train in a day.

Since I won't be visiting on an interview day, what should I look for in the school/department? The other times I've visited schools, I've been a part of group tours and listed to other's questions, went to panel presentations, and etc. Since they're not having a program for me, what should I look for?

Thanks.
-Sara

SaraL124 said:
Since I won't be visiting on an interview day, what should I look for in the school/department? The other times I've visited schools, I've been a part of group tours and listed to other's questions, went to panel presentations, and etc. Since they're not having a program for me, what should I look for?

Thanks.
-Sara

Here are some questions that I would have asked in retrospect...
--how often do the students hang out outside of class? (social support is VERY important in a clinical program)
--does everyone hang out or do people largely stick with their class/lab?
--is the program very coursework heavy? (some programs [like mine] have a great deal of coursework, especially in the first year, and while that can be valuable it also keeps you from getting immersed in your research and can also be extremely stressful)
--how stressed out are students? are they happy? competitive?
--Does the faculty do clinical supervision?
--how well do students get along financially? Are they taking out a lot of loans? (many students in clinical programs take out some loans, but if students are primarily subsisting on them then they will emerge from grad school with massive debt).
--If you have TA/RA funding, how much work do you have to put in for it?
--What kinds of positions have recent grads gotten? How many pubs do most students have (and in what journals)? In asking these questions, make sure they tell you about the average student, not just a particular department star.
Really the most important thing is to be sure that you can see yourself there, that it's a good research match, and that the funding's sufficient. If you can, stay with a student or see if you can hang out with a group of students afterwards to see what the social atmosphere is like. I can't emphasize enough what a big difference that will make to your happiness.

I'm actually not too worried about the social situation so much as I will be married when I start school and I know a lot of people in both of the citites I am considering moving too. So I will definitely have a social support network outside of school.

Also in terms of funding, I want to make sure the department has grants to continue the research with the mentor who accepted me, not necessarily my own personal funding (I am lucky enough to have savings from my job and I won't have to take loans).

Thanks for the other suggestions though...I am going to try to arrange a visit for next week and possibly stay with a student. I definitely think it's important to ask about publications and where students end up afterwards, so thanks for that!

Oh, and does anyone here think there is a major difference between being in a lab with several other students from your cohort vs. being in a lab that accepts one student every other year (meaning you are the only one of your year in that lab)?

Also-- does reputation of the school matter? I'm debating between Kent State and Drexel....does anyone know anything about either of these places that I may not know?

Thanks again,
Sara

SaraL124 said:
Oh, and does anyone here think there is a major difference between being in a lab with several other students from your cohort vs. being in a lab that accepts one student every other year (meaning you are the only one of your year in that lab)?

This may depend upon personal preference, but I would be wary of joining a lab that takes several students from one cohort. I imagine that:

1) It will be difficult to get a lot of individualized attention from your advisor if you are one among several students in your year. For example, if there are several students in the same cohort, you will all be completing your master's theses, comps, dissertation proposals, and dissertations at roughly the same time. Think about it from the advisor's perspective - that's a lot of work, just simply to schedule X # of committee meetings in one semester! Now picture yourself toward the end of your dissertation, and you're still waiting for feedback on an earlier draft, but it's taking a while because your advisor has 3 dissertation drafts to look through! If you are the only student from your lab doing these things, you're much more likely to receive individual attention and have more flexibility.

2) You will most likely be vying for the same internship slots as other students from your lab. That is, not every internship will have faculty who represent your research interests. Coming from the same lab, you're most likely to have overlapping interests with your labmates, and will therefore gravitate to the same people/programs. It's going to be tough to get a letter from your advisor stating that you're "the best student ever" if he/she also has to write letters for other advisees applying to the same places at the same time (I actually know of this happening to some friends of mine, although they all matched at top programs!).

Regarding reputation, I don't think you should worry about either program. I am at one of the sites that Paendrag specifically mentioned above, and can vouch that Drexel has a strong reputation here. I don't know much about Kent State, but if your interests are in anxiety (which I'm guessing they are?), you'll have a very strong advisor there.

Basically, I think you have a nice choice to make. Good luck! :D

Hi Everyone! What do you know about the reputation of the clinical psych program at the University of Memphis? I am choosing between it and three other programs and am having a tough time making the decision. Two of the other programs are in Human Development/Family Studies and one is an Applied Developmental psych program (not APA accredited).

I liked the city of Memphis and because its the only clinical program I got into I'd like to give it consideration, but it did seem that they had less available resources than the other program I visited...(I'll be visiting the other two this weekend!)

***That was a very long post.....the short version: Is a mid-tier clinical program still better than a top HDFS program? Does it really matter if my ultimate goal is to go into research/academics?***

Thanks!

LM02- Thanks for your response. I had not actually thought of the drawbacks of being one of many of my year in a particular lab. Thanks for putting that into perspective! I was worried about being the only one of my year in a lab as would be the case with Drexel.

I know the mentors at both places would be equally good in terms of my research interests. The mentor at the other school actually trained with this person, so I feel like I would be getting a fairly equal training at either of the two places. I guess I'm just worried about the reputations...I don't really know that much about them because the topic I would be studying isn't that well-known so there aren't really reputations among CLinical Psychologists in general for these places (in terms of the work I would be doing). Like, I realize Drexel is great for neuropsych but since I won't be studying that it doesn't reall make a difference, right? Or is any good exposure, good exposure regardless of topic?

Also- should departmental funding play a huge roll in making a choice? I know Kent (specifically my possible mentor) received a $9 million grant to be used over the next 5 years. I don't know if Drexel has that kind of money, although I do know my possible mentor there has received consistent grant funding every year since she has been there.

I just don't want to make a decision and then realize down the line that I've given up a veritable "Harvard" of training for a lesser school.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

SaraL124 said:
Like, I realize Drexel is great for neuropsych but since I won't be studying that it doesn't reall make a difference, right? Or is any good exposure, good exposure regardless of topic?

If it makes any difference, I'm not in neuropsych and my comments above about Drexel were not specific to neuropsych. Their overall reputation is still strong.

SaraL124 said:
Also- should departmental funding play a huge roll in making a choice? I know Kent (specifically my possible mentor) received a $9 million grant to be used over the next 5 years. I don't know if Drexel has that kind of money, although I do know my possible mentor there has received consistent grant funding every year since she has been there.

There are a lot of factors that weigh into a decision, but one should not underestimate the value of a potential advisor's grant funding. This will make an enormous difference to you in terms of summer funding (e.g., you won't have to scrounge around for summer work if you are employed off the grant), having access to a rich dataset, having access to research assistants, and possibly even funding your own data collection. All of these things are not only crucial to successful graduate level training, but they will also make a difference in terms of how quickly you might be able to finish grad school.

In the end, I still think that you are in a comfortable position in terms of your decision - you will be in a good place with consistent grant funding no matter what. Now it comes down to weighing the pros and cons, and deciding what is on your own personal priority list (which also includes things like location, personality fit, etc.).

Best of luck again!!

Hey guys,
I know it might be coming a little late, but I found an interesting survey of doctoral programs around the country. It looks at graduate student satisfaction. Keep in mind it is from 2000. Here's the link:

http://survey.nagps.org/chooseState.php

Paendrag said:
My opinion is that clinical psych offers you more options in both the research and applied realms. I think clinical psychologists still make more money as researchers than others on average (say at a medical school). Plus you can do practice on the side and make money that way too. Also, if you find you don't like academia, can't get a good job in academia, of have to move somewhere very unappealing to get a job in academia, all very possible, you have a fall back option. I believe that University of Memphis is affiliated with St. Judes Children's Research hospital. That's a good thing. I know one graduate of UMemphis clinical psych program. She is doing very well as a pure researcher at one of the premier research hospitals in the country.

I would eliminate the unaccredited site from consideration. Since it seems like your interest is children, University of Memphis seems like a really good option. It is a good research program, it is a member of the Academy of Psychological Clinical Science. I wouldn't consider it mid-tier.

Thanks for the good advice! I think you're right about the clinical degree giving me more options in the future. And yes, Memphis is affiliated with St. Judes. Many students do practicum there.

I'm pretty sure I won't go to the unacreddited program, but since they are paying for my flight there I feel like I should at least go visit....free trip to New Orleans! :)

Any news from St. John's?

SaraL124 said:
Any news from St. John's?
They are starting to make phone calls today. I still haven't heard anything.

deleted

Last edited:
MAS1234 said:
I heard from them yesterday, Wednesday, that I got in! I'm very happy. :)

Congratulations!
I'm still waiting with my fingers crossed.
Did you apply to the general or child track?
Are you going to accept?