Application Updates: Please Pose Here to Update What's Happening With Your Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a phone interview invite yesterday from the clinical program at Memphis. :)

Does anyone happen to know anything about the Human Development program at UIUC or School Psych at Indiana Bloomington?

Members don't see this ad.

RES said:
I got my first official acceptance yesterday to Miami University (in Ohio)! I'm wicked excited since this is one of my top choices :D

Hey R- Congrats!! That's so awesome! It was great meeting you at Kent State last week. Good Luck with the rest of your interviews.

-S

I got my first acceptance by mail today. Too bad it's for the Master's Level Psychology and Education program at Teacher's College at Columbia. I applied to the Clin Psych PhD program and they automatically funneled me into the master's apps after my doctoral app was rejected. Oh well, their program is on the verge of losing APA accreditation anyway. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Sara! It was really great to meet you as well! It was nice to have a friendly face in the crowd. Good luck and keep me up to date on your interviews/acceptances! :)

amimi said:
I'm interested in working with Dr. Riskind and his work on vulnerabilities to anxiety. I'm really excited about going out there this next weekend! You said earlier you work at GMU?
Yup, I work in Dr. Tangney's Human Emotions lab on her study of criminal recidivism. I love the department here, and Dr. Riskind is great. Good luck on your interviews! It's a very friendly, mostly laid-back department--no worries.

Accepted to U Wisconsin - Milwaukee, EXPERIMENTAL PhD. (email notice).
However, I decide to accept the offer from UVa Clinical next week.

Good Luck ALL. :)

Congrats Lazy!!!!!!!!!! I'm still waiting to hear from Milwaukee's clinical program. Not planning on accepting it, but would still like to hear something

Just got back from Notre Dame. WOW what a beautiful university! Great program (it's developmental), great faculty, great students. Just loved it! They offer a minor in quantitative which is great for those who have to publish...can never know too much stats.
Also just an FYI for people applying to clinical in the next couple years.....Notre Dame is going to be getting accredited and switching their counseling program over to clinical.

I also think I'll be declining Madison's offer......program is too public policy for me, and also deals only with adolescents and I want a more developmental continuum. Plus the city is really expensive to live in by Midwest standards. They said the official letter will be coming soon, so I'm gonna really think it over before I officially decline, but I'm headed that way.

Notre Dame will be letting me know in about 2 weeks.....then I'll be in Purdue at the end of the month....I think it'll come down to those two programs. Kinda funny, since neither are clinical lol

I've got telephone interviews this week with North Dakota and Missouri-St. Louis, and am flying out to NIU on Thursday. So who knows....maybe I'll change my mind again lol

Also....heard from a bunch of people this weekend that Marquette is known for having funding problems. I was kinda interested in the program, etc. but this kind of rumor has me very worried. Having funding fall through halfway through a program would kill me financially. I'm debating whether to take ti seriously, or if I should email the grad student I spoke with there. Has anyone heard this rumor about that school?

Sorry to go on and on :)

Are you serious? A friend of mine has applied there. :confused:

SaraL124 said:
I got my first acceptance by mail today. Too bad it's for the Master's Level Psychology and Education program at Teacher's College at Columbia. I applied to the Clin Psych PhD program and they automatically funneled me into the master's apps after my doctoral app was rejected. Oh well, their program is on the verge of losing APA accreditation anyway. :p

i have a question, especially for those of you have been accepted to programs. i just got back from my last in person interview and have no idea how it went. i am wondering if people have any idea about how to gauge the success or lack thereof, of their interviews? i went to this last one on the big interview day and so was there with about 29 other applicants. i spent about 15 minutes (tops) with two different professors, but have no idea what my chances are! help! what do you all think about this, or how you felt your interviews went?

thanks!

psychbabe said:
Are you serious? A friend of mine has applied there. :confused:

Are you asking if I'm serious about the APA accreditation being on the rocks? As far as I know, the program at Teacher's College is pretty unstable. It's a very competitive program bc of its location in NYC, and bc it's affiliated with Columbia University, but overall everyone I've spoken to has cautioned me to stay away. They don't offer funding either and I'm pretty sure you have to pay some tuition too. I don't think I would have gone there even if I had gotten in.

I got an email today from the head of the Clinical Program admissions at Kent State. He said he had some good news to discuss with me and to give him a number where he could call. I have a feeling this means I'm an alternate...doesn't the professor you applied to work with usually call if you've been accepted?

Now I just have to wait for the phone to ring!

RES- any news??

lazy monkey said:
Accepted to U Wisconsin - Milwaukee, EXPERIMENTAL PhD. (email notice).
However, I decide to accept the offer from UVa Clinical next week.

Good Luck ALL. :)

Can you go into private practice with another degree in psychology besides Clinical psychology? Always wondering....

WTG Sara. I'm not sure an alternate would be good news...I'm betting on acceptance. Was that interview just this past weekend? If so...wow they're fast!

Members don't see this ad :)
SaraL124 said:
I got an email today from the head of the Clinical Program admissions at Kent State. He said he had some good news to discuss with me and to give him a number where he could call. I have a feeling this means I'm an alternate...doesn't the professor you applied to work with usually call if you've been accepted?

Now I just have to wait for the phone to ring!

RES- any news??

Sara --

I think that is great news! I think that each school does things so differently, that it is hard to predict what sort of news is coming. I don't think that they would say all that if it was for an alternate position.

I am continuing to compulsively check email and make sure that my phones are all working. How nuts is that? All of the programs that I had interviews with were held last Friday, so I am hoping to hear something this week. But, I think that everyone does things at different times which just raises my anxiety level!

psychogurl said:
Can you go into private practice with another degree in psychology besides Clinical psychology? Always wondering....

Psychogurl: You can only become licensed as a clinical psychologist with PhD in clinical OR counseling psychology. That said, lots of people go into private practice with other degrees. I have a friend with a PhD in human sexuality who is now earning a MASTERS in counseling psych and plans to open her own practice someday working in marriage/family/sex therapy.

twiggers said:
WTG Sara. I'm not sure an alternate would be good news...I'm betting on acceptance. Was that interview just this past weekend? If so...wow they're fast!

Thanks for the good wishes! I hope its an acceptance too! I got really good vibes and positive emails from Temple and then I was told I was an alternate, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up for this one.

Oh, and Twiggers- the interview was Feb 19th (2 weeks ago) and they said they would notify in 2 weeks....so they're right on schedule!

The director of the Clinical Program at Kent State called me back to tell me I was accepted!!!!!

yay for me!

CONGRATS SARA! I am waitlisted at two places now...BU and Temple. I am starting to get very sad....

Don't worry ChildPsych! I'm sure it will work out. I know it's not very encouraging, but waitlist is better than rejection!!! Keep waiting, you'll get in somewhere!

SaraL124 said:
The director of the Clinical Program at Kent State called me back to tell me I was accepted!!!!!

yay for me!

congratulations!! that is so exciting! how does it feel? do you know what you will do?

sunny22 said:
congratulations!! that is so exciting! how does it feel? do you know what you will do?

I will probably go there. It was my first choice on paper and the interview day was really informative. The facilities are gorgeous, the students seemed really happy there, and the mentor was really gearing his research in the direction I could see myself going.

My fiance got accepted to the Cleveland Clinic Medical School, so it could be perfect. We're just waiting to find out what other places we are both going to be accepted to that match up in the same city.

I was invited to interview at the two PsyD programs that I applied to: Pacific University and the Wright Institute. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on these programs as far as reputation, quality, etc. If all goes well I will be needing to make a decision and I want as much info as possible. Thanks!

SaraL124 said:
I will probably go there. It was my first choice on paper and the interview day was really informative. The facilities are gorgeous, the students seemed really happy there, and the mentor was really gearing his research in the direction I could see myself going.

My fiance got accepted to the Cleveland Clinic Medical School, so it could be perfect. We're just waiting to find out what other places we are both going to be accepted to that match up in the same city.

Hey Sara!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I got the same email from the DCT so I'm thinking that I got in too :) I was away til yesterday on an interview but I emailed him last night and said that I could be reached at work between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. so I'll let you know how that goes.

Update: I now have official acceptances from Purdue and Miami University. I'm pretty sure I'll also be receiving an offer from Virginia Tech and from the sounds of it Kent State (all clinical programs). I'm finishing up my phone interviews with NIU this week and have an interview at UMBC next week and then it'll be decision time :D

Ok, so the weirdest thing happened with my application to Drexel. I sent it and called in Jan to see if it was complete which they told me it was. THEN I found out over the weekend at Kent that their interview day was Feb 28th. I thought, oh crap, I didn;t get an interview. When I got home from Kent, I had a letter waiting for me dated Feb 7th, but postmarked Feb 15th. It said that my appwas incomplete because they were missing my transcript. But when I called in Jan they said they had all my materials! So I called the admissions office to ask where to send the missing transcript and they said I had missed the cutoff date by which to send missing materials and my app was not considered by the psychology committee. That date was Feb 14th. Notice the postmark date of the letter I received was Feb 15th. Very fishy.

So I emailed the professor I mentioned in my app about 2 weeks ago. Today I get a call from Drexel that she wants to interview me on the phone. This is even without seeing my transcript! hurrah!

Just to let you know!

WTG Sara!!!!!!!!!!! That's so great...your top choice coming in :)

RES: Wow...looks like you've got quite the decision to make. Did you visit the Purdue campus in W. Lafayette? If so, did you like it? I've been accepted to their child development program and am visiting it later this month. The internet tour makes it look really good...

Finished my phone interviews with Missouri-St. Louis and North Dakota this week. Going to NIU tomorrow morning for their interview.
After that all I have left are Wayne State and Bowling Green. Bowling Green is weird though. I couldn't fly out because of conflicts, and then they pressed me to go and I had to be honest and say I couldn't afford it b/c of all this interview stuff (and they weren't a top choice). I get an email from secretary saying that the committee chair will contact me "sometime in the future", saying no idea when b/c she doesn't like phone interviews. Well their official interview day was last week and still no word. I think it's very rude. I had called before applying and they told me they do phone interviews, so I wouldn't have wasted my money if I had known this.

Many of my programs are turning out to look better on paper than they do once I've talked to the faculty/students. Why don't the schools put on their website "hey we require an extra year of practicum" or "our practicum sites are 3 hours away from campus" I would have saved my money :)
but hey..at least I find this out before I accept offers.

So my update:
Accepted: Wisconsin-Madison (human development) Purdue (child development)
Waiting on: Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Marquette, North Dakota, Notre Dame, Missouri-St. Louis
Need to interview at: Wayne State, Bowloing Green, NIU

Haven't heard anything from: Indiana-Bloomington, South Dakota (they don't do interviews though).

I wish it were April 15th lol

Hey everyone, I'm new here but I have been reading the pages and pages of posts on this thread and I was wondering - did anyone apply to Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology? It's my first choice (I am interviewing this weekend) and I was kind of suprised to not see it mentioned at all.

I know it's a small school, but I met some students there that seem to be from all over the country. Any thoughts/opinions on the rep of the school?

And congrats to all your acceptances! This whole process is starting to drive me a bit out of my mind!!

:luck:

I have completed interviews at Argosy -Minnesota, Roosevelt, and Xavier. Right now I am on my way to Indiana State and St. Louis U or interviews. If anyone happends to have any information on those, it would be much appreciated. Also, does anyone know when Missoula or Western Michigan have interview dates?

Psychologyfiend said:
I have completed interviews at Argosy -Minnesota, Roosevelt, and Xavier. Right now I am on my way to Indiana State and St. Louis U or interviews. If anyone happends to have any information on those, it would be much appreciated. Also, does anyone know when Missoula or Western Michigan have interview dates?

Im also going to interview at SLU, which day are you interviewing? I am on friday the 18th, i also applied to Montana, and i called today and the secretary didnt sounds to sure but she said that she belives they are still in the process of inviting applicants

cmuhooligan said:
Im also going to interview at SLU, which day are you interviewing? I am on friday the 18th, i also applied to Montana, and i called today and the secretary didnt sounds to sure but she said that she belives they are still in the process of inviting applicants

I will be at SLU on the 17th, so I will miss you by a day...oh well, at least we can compare notes afterward. Thanks for the info on Missoula and the best of luck to you!

psychogurl said:

Actually this depends on what area of the country youre from. Some states have needs in rural community and they do allow private practices for MA level. Not sure about whether you have to have a mentor or if that works on a graduating system. Also, I know people with LCSW degrees in their own private practices making more than the clinical psychologist at the some practice. And I think there is an exam that a degree in clinical psychology leads up to that allows you to practice on youre own with the number of practicuum hours so that you could have another area speciality if you could pass that. I'm pretty sure that what my teacher, a social psychologist did. I however dont have interest in clinical psychology, work in a clinical setting for 4 years it might change your mind!, so I cant say for sure about the exam.

RES said:
Hey Sara!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I got the same email from the DCT so I'm thinking that I got in too :) I was away til yesterday on an interview but I emailed him last night and said that I could be reached at work between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. so I'll let you know how that goes.

Update: I now have official acceptances from Purdue and Miami University. I'm pretty sure I'll also be receiving an offer from Virginia Tech and from the sounds of it Kent State (all clinical programs). I'm finishing up my phone interviews with NIU this week and have an interview at UMBC next week and then it'll be decision time :D

Wow, RES. You are doing really well! Any news from Kent? Maybe we'll be classmates there!

SaraL124 said:
Wow, RES. You are doing really well! Any news from Kent? Maybe we'll be classmates there!

Hey Sara! I got the official call today and was offered admission to Kent as well! YAY! It's gonna be a tough decision to make, especially since each program is unique in it's own way.

Twiggers, yes I did visit Purdue and I loved it there! The campus was beautiful (ok, well you have to imagine it in spring) and it's very accessible to drugstores, grocery stores, pretty much anything you want/need. Have fun and let me know what you think!

:)

Just got an official offer from Virginia Tech. I'm cancelling my last interview which was scheduled for next weekend. Now, it's decision time :D

RES said:
Hey Sara! I got the official call today and was offered admission to Kent as well! YAY! It's gonna be a tough decision to make, especially since each program is unique in it's own way.

That's AWESOME RES. I'm really happy for you. Right now for me it's looking like Kent as I have no other acceptances. I am interviewing at St. John's and Drexel next week though so we'll see. (the professor who's interviewing me at Drexel went to Kent State and worked with Dr. Hobfoll....funny, no?)

So far, I have no rejection letters other than TC who accepted to their MA program. anyone else getting rejections?

RES said:
Hey Sunny-my former roommate is a first-year there and she loves it. There are a ton of great people there and the program is supposed to be really good too. Good luck!

Has anyone heard anything about the University of NEvada, Reno? The interview day was last Friday and I haven't heard anything, so I am a bit worried. Does anyone know if they have started to extend offers?

I hear such great things about this program, I am keeping my fingers tightly crossed!

SaraL124 said:
Ok, so the weirdest thing happened with my application to Drexel. I sent it and called in Jan to see if it was complete which they told me it was. THEN I found out over the weekend at Kent that their interview day was Feb 28th. I thought, oh crap, I didn;t get an interview. When I got home from Kent, I had a letter waiting for me dated Feb 7th, but postmarked Feb 15th. It said that my appwas incomplete because they were missing my transcript. But when I called in Jan they said they had all my materials! So I called the admissions office to ask where to send the missing transcript and they said I had missed the cutoff date by which to send missing materials and my app was not considered by the psychology committee. That date was Feb 14th. Notice the postmark date of the letter I received was Feb 15th. Very fishy.

So I emailed the professor I mentioned in my app about 2 weeks ago. Today I get a call from Drexel that she wants to interview me on the phone. This is even without seeing my transcript! hurrah!

Just to let you know!

so does this mean they are done interviewing? Did anyone else interview there?

fireorose said:
so does this mean they are done interviewing? Did anyone else interview there?

Their interview date was Mon Feb 28th. I think that was the only day considering she is interviewing me by phone. I offered to go down to Philly, but they said it was unnecessary bc it's only a 30 minutes interview.

oops! I posted ^^ on my fiance's name by accident. He posts here in pre-allopathic.

Hey,

In Chicago relaxing right now :)
I wasn't really impressed with NIU. I think it's because I'm comparing to Notre Dame, which is kind of a mistake.
The town is ugly. It's small and in the middle of nowhere. Chicago is an hour away. Housing prices are high for a midwest farming town. University is ugly cinder block buildings. I'm being critical, because again I'm comparing to Notre Dame's campus/city, as well as what I'vde seen of Purdue online.
The program:
Thursday night dinner with grad students: not one student came to our table to talk to us. Totally useless and a waste of my money (yup..department didn't pay for it).

Friday: 45 intro to the program. Nothing mentioned about funding, etc. Then had a 1 hour opportunity to visit professor's labs. I only got a chance to visit one, because prof was talking so much and I felt rude if I left in the middle.

Had 2 interviews. Each was 15 minutes long. Last one was myself and one other person.
I didn't even stay for lunch but cancelled my hotel room and headed straight for Chicago :)
They do have a psych services building which apparently sees a bit of clients (both adult and child). Nice integration of practicuum. No first year project for those who are into the research end.
I will not be going there.

Found out I got waitlisted for North Dakota - GOD do I suck that bad lol. My stats were wayyyyyyyyyyyy above their average. Oh well.

A prof from Notre Dame emailed me saying he wants to speak with me some more about my research interests, my future career goals, etc. They're supposed to have decisions done within a week to 10 days. So I hope this is a good sign :)

Sigh.....guess I'll just relax in Chicago and enjoy myself. Will probably be my last mini-vacation for awhile to come :)

Twiggers:

Sorry about NIU and North Dakota. I can guess why you got waitlisted there, especially since your stats were way above their average. They probably thought you were over-qualified. Sometimes schools tend to do that to students they feel really don't want to come there and are just applying as a "back-up" school!

I think the same thing happened to me at Wyoming (I was an alternate there). My stats were way above their average as well.

But at least you still have Notre Dame and Purdue, as well as your other acceptance(s)!!

Has anyone heard from Georgia State yet? Is Emory done with interviews as well?thanks

Yes, Emory is done with interviewing. Their interviews were February 11th and 14th. They made offers two days later.

ComfortableWolf said:
Their interview date was Mon Feb 28th. I think that was the only day considering she is interviewing me by phone. I offered to go down to Philly, but they said it was unnecessary bc it's only a 30 minutes interview.

I interviewed at Drexel last year....let me know if you have any questions, since you're not going there. I also know a few people who graduated from the program.

Thanks psych :) I kinda thought the same thing about North Dakota. I'm not really that bummed about NIU sucking...got a trip to Chicago out of it :)

Just gonna keep my fingers crossed about Notre Dame, and will enjoy Purdue when I'm there :)

twiggers said:
Hey,

The town is ugly. It's small and in the middle of nowhere. Chicago is an hour away.

The exact words I would use to describe South Bend.

I just got accepted to the Clinical PhD program at the University of Nevada!! I am so excited!!!!!

LOL Jat. At least South Bend has a bunch of small cities close by...plus Lake Michigan right there (I'm a big outdoors person).
Yea...and the sports are better ;-)

I just returned from my interview at George Washington University (PsyD). So I thought I would provide some feedback. The day started with all of the perspective students there for the interview gathered in a large room with current students. There was pastries etc and we were able to ask the current students about the program and their opinions. It was laid back and casual. So it was easy to mingle with students and get my questions answered. It seemed like all of the 3rd year students there had matched with really great internships like Harvard, Yale, Pennsylvania Hospital, Tulane Medical School, etc. After 30 minutes with the students the program director came in and spoke for 20 minutes about the program and its practicums / clinical sites which seem to be plentiful. Then an alumni or adjunct professor interviewed each student for about 30 minutes after which we were each interview by a core faculty professor for 30 - 45 minutes. We were given a brief tour and then it was all over.

I was asked: Explain how you came to the conclusion that you wanted to pursue a career in psychology?
How do you feel about the fact that this program is strongly influenced by the psychodynamic theory?
What is your opinion about treating a diverse population of patients?
What area do you want to specialize in as a psychologist?
I was also asked some questions about my life experience that I had included in my application.
I asked a few questions about the program and their mentoring of students. I asked about internship placement and at the end I asked if the professor (core faculty) thought that I was a good match for the program.

All in all I was impressed with the program and the current students. They are cutting back on the class size quite significantly. The faculty were also impressive. `I think that this program would be a great option for me. Hopefully I will get an acceptance. I have 1 more interview this Friday at Rosalind Franklin's PhD program. I will write a review of that interview also.

RES said:
Just got an official offer from Virginia Tech. I'm cancelling my last interview which was scheduled for next weekend. Now, it's decision time :D

It may be a little premature to be considering this, but I've gotten some good (and pretty leading...) feedback from my first choice school about being accepted, but unfortunately nothing concrete yet (hopefully Monday will bring good news...). If this happens, I would consider cancelling my interview this weekend. I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time, but then again, my flight is non-refundable (though I haven't checked into any other options like changing the date or location for a fee). Has anyone else had this issue of wanting to cancel an interview but stuck with a plane ticket? I'd be interested to know how people resolved this in case I have to decide pretty quickly what I'm going to do.
Thanks!