Aug 27, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
So here's the story.

I sent in my application to 6 schools in September and basically got rejected from 2. No interviews so far and my statuses on the remaining 4 are application complete or under review. I've been nothing but anxious since september and as December 2nd approaches, I feel like crying daily.

My overall GPA is 3.62 and my science GPA is 3.49 ....nothing spectacular.

My DAT scores are also not stunning in any way.
PA: 18 / RC: 22 / QR: 18 / TS: 20 / AA: 20

I have 300 volunteer hours at a children's dental clinic and about 50 hours at a hospital. I have 40 shadowing hours. And I've worked part time throughout my undergrad career (5-6 different jobs).

This is my final semester as an undergrad and I have no money to my name from this whole application process and I need a job after graduating. I'm not sure if I should (1) balance working and re-taking the DAT and apply next cycle or (2) skip applying next cycle, volunteer more and take the DAT in that year and do other things to make myself more appealing to the admissions people.

I have never felt so confused and anxious in my entire life and I really would appreciate any advice.

Connauton

5+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Which schools did you apply to? Your stats look good, extra currics are half-decent.... don't see what went wrong.

Apr 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Your GPA is fine, I think you should re-take the DAT. A 18 in PAT may be considered low to some schools. It also depends on the schools you applied to.

Jun 1, 2013
Status
So here's the story.

I sent in my application to 6 schools in September and basically got rejected from 2. No interviews so far and my statuses on the remaining 4 are application complete or under review. I've been nothing but anxious since september and as December 2nd approaches, I feel like crying daily.

My overall GPA is 3.62 and my science GPA is 3.49 ....nothing spectacular.

My DAT scores are also not stunning in any way.
PA: 18 / RC: 22 / QR: 18 / TS: 20 / AA: 20

I have 300 volunteer hours at a children's dental clinic and about 50 hours at a hospital. I have 40 shadowing hours. And I've worked part time throughout my undergrad career (5-6 different jobs).

This is my final semester as an undergrad and I have no money to my name from this whole application process and I need a job after graduating. I'm not sure if I should (1) balance working and re-taking the DAT and apply next cycle or (2) skip applying next cycle, volunteer more and take the DAT in that year and do other things to make myself more appealing to the admissions people.

I have never felt so confused and anxious in my entire life and I really would appreciate any advice.

DO NOT RETAKE. YOUR GPA IS SOLID. IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO APPLY IN JUNE/JULY 2014, GO FOR IT. BUT JUST WAIT. IM SURE YOULL GET SOME INTERVIEWS & acceptances!

Reactions: rpatel104
OP
T
Aug 27, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Which schools did you apply to? Your stats look good, extra currics are half-decent.... don't see what went wrong.
University of Iowa: rejected (they said my GPA was low when I called)
University of Minnesota
University at Buffalo
University of Louisville
University of Nebraska (it says check back on dec 2)
Case Western

BlueDevil2012

5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
UofL said they reserve a lot of spaces for post december interviews, try to be patient for the remainder of the cycle. If nothing pans out be ready to submit your app at the VERY beginning of next cycle, it makes a great difference.

Oct 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You applied late (as did I) and will probably have to wait it out. If you don't hear anything by the end of January, then I would start gearing up to retake the DAT and getting ready for next cycle.

HaverfoodsDDS

5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Your GPA is fine, I think you should re-take the DAT. A 18 in PAT may be considered low to some schools. It also depends on the schools you applied to.
I disagree about this - I have a 17 on PAT and have received 6 pre-dec interviews and have another 2 scheduled for Dec/Jan. Your application seems okay to me - just to echo what others have said, you applied a little on the late side. I think you have a very good shot at getting post-dec interviews and acceptances this cycle, you just need to be patient. If worst comes to worst, apply again next cycle very early and I'm confident you'll get in! Best of luck.

Reactions: AVB2104

ktran17

7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2011
socal
Status
Dental Student
Work next semester, save money, and reapply. Make sure to be 1st-4th batch and you'll be fine.

OP
T
Aug 27, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you all for your advice! I will definitely apply next cycle now if it doesn't work out for this cycle and I will make sure to apply a lot earlier. Also, I feel a little better now with all your good wishes. I truly appreciate it.

Jun 7, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
University of Iowa: rejected (they said my GPA was low when I called)
University of Minnesota
University at Buffalo
University of Louisville
University of Nebraska (it says check back on dec 2)
Case Western
You applied too late at Nebraska. They only conduct pre-December interviews. Their entire class is determined from the 120 pre-December interviews they give out. Where are you a resident? A little strange that Iowa told you your GPA was too low. Don't be discouraged, I think you have great stats. Remember that 20 AA is often times 80-90th percentile!!

Glimmer1991

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2012
NC
Status
Dental Student
September is sort of late, but still workable.

The main issue I see is shadowing hours. Everything else is very solid. I certainly wouldn't give up hope, though! However, if things don't pan out, I would make sure to improve that aspect of your application before next cycle. I would aim for around 100 hours.

Hippo529

7+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2011
Hogwarts
Status
Pre-Dental
I totally agree with Glimmer. I was told last cycle that I got rejected because I didn't have enough shadowing hours. I had 75. I didn't get a single interview. I shadowed another 120 hours and got 3 pre-december interviews this cycle. But that's just my story so it could be different for you. Don't give up hope just yet!