applied early; retake the MCAT? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

concern4asians

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Didn't get in this year. I have 3.73 overall GPA, 3.83 BCPM, 29 MCAT.
I applied to ~30 lower and mid-tier schools this year. 25 of them I did not apply last year. i didn't check the AMCAS box that I will retake, but I might retake in August or September. Any advice or words? Thank you
 
Have you tried getting feedback from schools that rejected you? While 29 is not very good, considering your GPA, it shouldn't have kept you out unless you applied late or overestimated your chances by picking too few schools or too many that were out of your league. How are the ECs? Have you had people review your PS?
 
You didn't even get secondaries? I mean while a 29 isn't great, your gpa kind of compensates for it. Maybe there's some foul play in one of your letters of something. I'd definitely contact the schools to see what happened. A lot of my friends have scores from 28-30 and have gotten secondaries from at least 80% of the schools. Either you have no clinical experience or there's something in your file that sent a red flag to the committee. Sorry about the bad news. Just find out what happened, retake the mcat next spring and reapply with some new experiences, activities, clinical exposure, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree. I can't imagine why you didn't get more interviews. Your MCAT isn't that bad either. I would talk to some of the deans and ask where you could strengthen your application. Check your LOR's and EC's as well. You should be in from a numbers standpoint.
 
Concern4asians,

I had a very similar situation this year. I got 10,8,11, P = 29P in MCAT. GPA was 3.75 for BCPM and 3.7 overall. I applied to about 15-17 schools, and received secondaries from most of them. I got interview from one and then rejection. The schools that I applied to had averages well around my scores. Now I am debating between caribbean or taking MCAT again and reapplying. What I hate is going through the whole process of personal statements, primary, secondary application, and most of all feeling of anxiousness.
 
I wouldn't retake the MCAT. Just get your apps in as early as possible and I don't think you really need to apply to 30+ schools unless you have a lot of money you want to waste! Choose about 15 max.
 
Didn't get in this year. I have 3.73 overall GPA, 3.83 BCPM, 29 MCAT.
I applied to ~30 lower and mid-tier schools this year. 25 of them I did not apply last year. i didn't check the AMCAS box that I will retake, but I might retake in August or September. Any advice or words? Thank you

that id weiredd

Do you have a name they dis like or a name that represent a certain race?
Untold profilling is allways there.

If your name is Linda Smith(white) or tyrone (black) or chen (chinese but if you are female will have a better chance over Muslim or some time Hidu names.
Tell me if I am wrong?
 
If your name is Linda Smith(white) or tyrone (black) or chen (chinese but if you are female will have a better chance over Muslim or some time Hidu names.
Tell me if I am wrong?

Not only are you wrong, but you made yourself sound pretty stupid as well.
 
Not only are you wrong, but you made yourself sound pretty stupid as well.

Pls dont say words to offend each other
Facts are facts
Do you know any brown kid who got in with MCAT of 26-27?
Go to md applicants.com and see what I am talking about.And also look around you.
Dispute me with facts.
But if I am just going to be insulted,I gave up.
You are right.