Applied for Australia 2004?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jatpot

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread for people who have applied to schools in Australia for a 2004 start date. I applied to USyd and UQ in late June. Supposedly should be finding out about interviews by the end of August.

Anyone else apply to OZ?

Members don't see this ad.

I've applied to UQ, USyd, and Flinders. I plan to visit each in September, doing at least two interviews while I'm there.

I'm American, but I'm not applying to any other schools. It's either one of the above three, or continue with my current career (tech consultant) for another year or two.

-Pitman

Pitman, did you find out about interviews? How did you plan what days to go down there, or are you just going for the informational weeks and telling them you'll be there then to schedule an interview?

I applied to USyd as first choice and UQ as second through ACER, but haven't heard. Do you know if we find out via email or post about interviews (traditional mail would slow it down some and I'm eager to have some idea of direction for the next year!).

Have you been to Australia before? If I don't get into med school down there, I still may pursue a masters there; it's such a lovely country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Pitman, have you been invited for interviews already or are these informal interviews? Dont they start interviewing in August?

Cheers,

Elkewlbeanz

Haven't heard too much from them yet. I got a couple of emails though.

I've received one formal invite (Flinders, via email), but because I sent some preliminary emails to straighten out how schools would determine my gpa -- my transcripts are whacko, for course order, credits, how my colleges define "levels"...you name it -- I got some feedback and so expect at least one more (unless my posts here really piss them off :p).

In other words, just because you haven't heard yet, there's no reason to fear the worst.

I've been planning to visit Australia to see the campuses and have asked each school if I could sit for interviews locally while there (hopefully being tactful enough in the process, since it's still informal for two).

The response by the schools has been mixed, from extreme accommodation (willingness to schedule around my trip), to a potentially flexible scheduled week to play with, to a strict requirement of interviewing on one of two specific days. As a result, the trip will be a bit over 2 weeks. The "official" dates for *local* interviews for int'l students are: UQ = mid-Sept; Flinders = end of Sept / beginning of Oct.; USyd = early Oct.

Apologies for being a bit vague -- I've been helped immensely by a number of posters (Kimberli Cox stands out as one) on this site and so would like to pay that forward by sharing specifics about my communications with the schools, but I also don't want to jinx myself, let alone violate some implied confidentiality.

It does seem to me, however, that it's perfectly reasonable to make pertinent inquiries to the schools, as long as you aren't boorish and don't badger them, and you never know what you'll learn about them in the process (or vice versa). And if they don't want to tell you something, they'll tell you. To me it's fascinating to watch the marketing.

-Pitman

I've applied to a few schools as well. I've had an interview with Flinders but haven't heard back from any of the other schools yet. Most of them don't seem to respond until late August. Flinders is much further ahead in their recruitment process from what I can see. They send out notice of interviews much earlier than the other schools, interview earlier and give notification of acceptance earlier (haven't gotten the last one yet). When you are applying from overseas, and making the transition from a full time career back to school, the earlier you know your path the better. Hopefully the other schools will start to send out notices earlier.

I don't see the need to personally travel to the schools for interviews since most will send representatives to North America. UQ mentioned that they may do some interviews on the phone though... Personally, I am going a little stir crazy waiting for responses. After writing the MCAT while working full time I feel like I have tons of spare time and thus the days seem longer etc...

There is another medical school that is opening this year in the capital city but I don't know how they are structuring interviews or their application timeline. It's interesting to see how some of the schools are allocating spots for rural medicine, international students etc. If anyone applies to this new school let us know what you discover...

The admissions director at USyd told my contact at ACER that they will have all invitations to interview for international applicants out by the end of August. Markdc, I also work full time and trying to figure out job stuff and apartment stuff for next year is hard when you don't know where you'll be living, but I am just going to relax for this month, and we should all hear something by the end. At least those of us who applied to USyd.
That's why I created this thread, so we can all keep each other informed during the process. I'm optimistic!

-Jatpot

Just got an email from USYD admissions asking me in what city I would like to be interviewed "in the event of getting an offer for interview." The email said that by the end of Aug I'll have a date, but to reply with either San Fran, London, NYC, Singapore, or Sydney as my choice. I'm getting antsy as hell waiting for these guys to contact me.

Just got my acceptance from Flinders for the 2004 class.
Anyone else heard anything?

sfg5, just wondering where are you located and when did you have your interview? (I'm in Toronto and had my interview around July 20th). I haven't heard back from them as of yet. I would have assumed they would have notified everyone at the same time but apparently I was wrong?

Hello, has anyone been interviewed by USyd or flinders or UMelbourne? Anything in particular about those interviews?
Please share your experiences.
thank you,
bgeez.

I also interviewed in toronto on July 20 and havent heard back yet from flinders...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to Oz schools next year if Canada doesn't work out this year, I wondering if those who have applied would let me know what their gpas and mcat scores were. In know it's slightly rude, but I'm trying to gauge where I stand vis a vis other applicants. cheers

Hi, I'm thinking of applying to Oz schools next year if Canada doesn't work out this year, I wondering if those who have applied would let me know what their gpas and mcat scores were. In know it's slightly rude, but I'm trying to gauge where I stand vis a vis other applicants. cheers

Originally posted by sfg5
Just got my acceptance from Flinders for the 2004 class.
Anyone else heard anything?

sfg5 -- congratulations. Did they notify you via email, mail or phone? Also, how long do you have to make a decision/deposit?

Have you also applied to USyd and/or UQ?

-Pitman

thanks.
i actually found out via e-mail.
i think the formal invitation is coming in snail mail, and i remember the e-mail saying something about accepting by the end of next month.

hope this helps!
good luck!

Hey sfg5 - congratulations! I just got my acceptance from Flinders too. Are you planning to go? I am - bring on South Australia. I am in Calgary and I interviewed in Vancouver on the 24th of July.

Good job sfg5 and DocRuth! glad to see other Canadians and another Albertan going to Flinders as well. I was accepted in June through the EDP and have been excited ever since. We were given a deadline of August 15 to send in our first deposit so I can see some people finding out after that.

Good luck to all those are still waiting....

i do plan on accepting the invite to flinders.
i'll be seeing you both there!

tr?s exciter!

:D

Has anybody else who interviewed for flinders found out if they have been accepted yet?!?!

dave--A friend of mine found out that he got into Flinders last week, I think. He had interviewed just the week before in CA.

I've heard of one person who has received an interview from U Syd...anyone else? I haven't heard anything either way, yet.

I am also still waiting to hear either way from sydney.

Hi all,

I'm kind of answering my own question here about who has heard from USyd. I got an email this morning inviting me to interview in San Francisco in September. I know someone else heard last week, so it seems they are getting through the list as fast as they can!

Just wanted to update. Good luck :)

Good luck with Sydney! You could do a lot worse than spending four years in that city. I am sure some of your resident classmates from Minnesota will be jealous. As an anecdote, I know a very happy Opthalmologist in San Diego who is a graduate of U. of Sydney.

Good luck to all of you guys, you're headed for some exciting (and occasionally scary) times!
I remember picking Kim Cox's brain for advice about Australia before I left and now I'm just about half-way done. Time flies!
Let us know where you all end up.

Hmm... didn't check this forum for sometime. I have also been accepted to Flinders and will be accepting! Got it via email on Aug 5.

Good luck to everyone. And congrats to sfg5, DocRuth and UofA man! :) Probably we'll meet soon!

Has anyone else heard back from U.Syd regarding interviews?
The U. Syd webpage mentions that they interview local students in Sept. Can I assume that they deal with international students in late Sept./early Oct.?

I have heard they require a deposit in October to hold your spot for the February class

Originally posted by markdc
Has anyone else heard back from U.Syd regarding interviews?

A few people have gotten interview dates (maybe even most those doing US interviews?) -- one candidate back-channeled me that he was recently informed he could interview, but not in the US, which he was told is now fully booked. I trust the source, but take this as hearsay, naturally.

There are also interviews in London, Singapore, and Sydney (latter scheduled for Oct. 6-7).

-pitman

Just realized that the Sobig and MSBlast email viruses which are wreaking havoc on (at least) US email servers may be affecting USyd's ability to contact interview candidates.

-pitman

Originally posted by pitman
Sobig and MSBlast email viruses which are wreaking havoc on (at least) US email servers may be affecting USyd's ability to contact interview candidates.
:eek: :eek:

hi all, i havent heard anything from u of syd. is it a good idea to contact U of Syd about possible interview dates for 2004? just wondering for suggestion.
thanks in advace

Originally posted by bgeez
hi all, i havent heard anything from u of syd. is it a good idea to contact U of Syd about possible interview dates for 2004? just wondering for suggestion.
thanks in advace

I emailed Victoria @ USyd with a quick note about the inquiries here. I don't know if that will be an annoyance to them, or helpful feedback... :( . At any rate, they know there are many waiting to hear, so maybe wait a few more days before someone else tries(?)

-pitman

I just received an email from Victoria Haigh from Usyd, she said that they are offering interviews on a rolling basis.. so hopefully some of us that havent heard are still in the running.

--dave

doctor Moo---my interview is in SF the 3rd week of September. I don't know when the NY interviews are, or how long they'll be in SF for. You just get an email offering interview and telling you where and what day/time to be there.

hope that helps.

I just got the invitation via express post.
New York Manhattan on Sept 24th...:confused: I wonder why they put me there since I live in Vancouver, BC.

Is anyone in similar situation? In that they don't offer you an interview spot closest to your home. My ideal one would be SF.

jack

hi, got an interview in manhattan on sep 19...............anyone going to be there on the same date??

They must be doing lots of interviews if they are there from the 19th till the 24th...

Since they seem to get an equal number of Canadian/American applicants one would think they would send interviewers to Toronto and Vancouver as Flinders does.

Anyone find good deals on other hotels in the Manhattan area?

Hey all,

I'd like to switch with the guy (gal) in Vancouver, who got NYC on the 24th. I live in NYC and I was given SF on the 17th. :confused:

That seems so odd to me, I wonder what they were thinking. I don't think I am going to be able to go and will have to post-pone until next year. Do you guys think this is possible. I feel I have made a mistake in applying to amcas as well as Australia in the same year.

I also got my invite for SF. Mine is on the 16th of Sep. They actually emailed me about 2 weeks prior to my official invite asking me what location I would prefer to interview at, so I don't know why they didn't do that to the other people on this board. The interviews take place right in downtown SF which is awesome, considering there is a hostel some 3 blocks away. My sheet said interviews are only half an hour, which scares me a little bit. Ah well. Whatever happens, it'll be great to see SF again.

While on the topic of SF, does anyone know of a good and cheap taco stand downtown? The allure of riding the trolleys Full House style just isn't cutting it for me anymore. I was staying in a hostel in Point Montara and found the dirtiest scummiest taco stand with the greatest tacos I ever ate. If I'm staying downtown, it doesn't make sense to rent a car and drive an hour for tacos, but I want tacos, damnit! If I don't get a spot at USYD, then I'd at least like to bring back a gross' worth of tacos to Canada.:D

I think I was not contacted for choosing an interview venue because they messed up my email address.

jack

Hey all,

Has anyone has their interview w/Syd yet?

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows how many people are interviewed at Flinders, Sydney, Queensland, Melbourne, and ANU. Are the criteria for receiving an interview strictly academic?
I'm probably going to call a school or two in the next couple of days and ask them, but I wanted to see if anyone on here could give me the heads up first.

Cheers all,

Silenthunder

Hey Silenthunder,

I'm not sure about exact numbers...don't know if anyone knows except the schools, but I've heard that USyd interviews 3 people for every 2 spots, so around 60-70 people maybe?? It's all throught the grapevine, nothing official. Except for UQ, most schools don't have as many spots as USyd, I think, so I'd imagine they would interview fewer people. Good luck!

When I contacted administration they unofficially told me the approximate ratio was something like 4:1. I would imagine similar stats for other schools. The Australian schools seem somewhat reluctant to release statistics.

There seems to be a growing trend for people to apply internationally so 3:2 seems a little too favourable of a ratio. If anyone has heard different from a reliable source please post this info.

I have my interview w/ them on Sept. 24 in NYC. I was just wondering if anyone out there could shed some more light on what to expect in the interview.

Thanks

Originally posted by Jatpot
I've heard that USyd interviews 3 people for every 2 spots
3 : 2 is the lowest ratio USyd says it uses for local applicants (it is not necessarily this low each year). I don't think it applies to international applicants.