Apply early for Early Decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nehuHI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I've heard that for regular admission it is helpful to apply early for med school but does it make a difference if you apply early for early decision programs?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm pretty sure that earlier is better, no matter what.

don't do EDP, just apply early the regular way

Members don't see this ad :)
don't do EDP, just apply early the regular way

Why do you say not to apply early? Please let me know your thoughts. I'm currently working full-time and wanted to apply early so that I could give my employer an idea of what to expect so they could train or I could train someone else. I think the school I'm applying to would start in July 2010 and I wanted to at least give my employer a certain answer about my departure in 2009.....

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/programs/earlydecision.htm

Read the above website for some more info on EDP. One of the reasons against applying EDP is that if you do not get in (generally the applicants to these programs are extremely competitive) you must wait until October to start applying to other programs. Some do not consider this to be too long of a wait, while others think this is getting your stuff in late.

Why do you say not to apply early? Please let me know your thoughts. I'm currently working full-time and wanted to apply early so that I could give my employer an idea of what to expect so they could train or I could train someone else. I think the school I'm applying to would start in July 2010 and I wanted to at least give my employer a certain answer about my departure in 2009.....

You misinterpreted what I said. I meant apply early, but don't apply for EDP.

I did EDP and reaped the benefit of taking the risk. But don't kid yourself, it most certainly is a risk.

And yes, applying early to EDP is better than late into EDP. Especially if the school does rolling admissions. Late looks bad. Always.

What types of students is EDP beneficial for? Is there more competition with this program? I hear a good percentage of EDP students get accepted.

EDP is good if you...

1. Are sure it is where you want to go.
2. Are a solid candidate.
3. Don't want to deal with the stress/cost of admissions.

The bad things are everything else.

Really, you do it when you are sure it is where you want to be and it helps because it shows the school you are sure. Also, when you get in, you get in early (i knew Sept. 10th i think?). It is like an early letter of intent, just with more weight behind it because you are committed.

I applied edp and was accepted. At MCG, they had 215 applicants and they accepted 70 via EDP.

I applied edp and was accepted. At MCG, they had 215 applicants and they accepted 70 via EDP.

Hi,
Thanks. When did you submit your application through AMCAS? When did you ask for letter of rec and when did you finally get them in?

the magic cookie... PM me if you want info on the EDP thing at UK. That's what I did...

Get your file complete as soon as possible

I also think it is school dependent. At my state school, I know a lot of kids who applied EDP (to the med school) because their stats were low. I know of at least 5 people accepted EDP with 25s on their MCAT--if they didn't apply early they probably would not have gotten accepted.

I also think it is school dependent. At my state school, I know a lot of kids who applied EDP (to the med school) because their stats were low. I know of at least 5 people accepted EDP with 25s on their MCAT--if they didn't apply early they probably would not have gotten accepted.

Excellent time to consider a different school.