Apply for fellowship now or wait a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yepiminthere

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a PGY3 and I want to apply for MFM. My concern is that I do not think that I am a strong applicant at this point. Most of my activity has begun this year, as in I just began my research project, I just got involved in some committees that I am interested in, and I have not done significant networking in order to get stellar letters of rec, etc. When I think about what I will put on my CV I am concerned that I really don't have much accomplished in residency so far. Now that I know what I want to do with my life after residency I feel motivated and excited to get involved, but I'm afraid it's too late make a difference for my application this year.

My question is, would it be better for me to wait a year in order to complete a research project (or two) and show more engagement in my program, or should I apply this year. I just don't want to throw together a weak application and not get interviews/match. But I'm also concerned that I might a) disappoint some people and possibly burn some bridges at my program if I don't apply this year, and b) weaken my chances of matching into a program by applying as a 4th rather than 3rd year.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you coming from a stronger academic program? If so, then you can have a weaker application and still match pretty easily as long as your faculty is connected and your residency has a good reputation.

Have prior residents from your program matched into MFM? If so, what kind of applications did they have. If they were top notch in regards of everything because they had to be, then you may need to as well.

If you're coming from a community program you may need to beef up your application especially if you are interested in a more research/academic focused fellowship program. Although all fellowships have a research requirement and minimum research time, some programs slant more toward this than others.

The other question I have is who exactly are you disappointing? Is it an MFM at your program or some random faculty? I don't quite understand the burning bridges issue to be honest. Some clarification should be provided.

Agree with anonperson that more info would help.

With that said, apt and see what hapoens. You'll be amazed sometimes at what the programs will look at (eg letters of rec, who you know, where you come from over research and academics). If unable to get in, retry next year as in my experience no one will hold having applied the previous year against you.

I do also question the disappointing others comment. Screw them. It's your life and your career. In my experience, residents sometimes put too much undue stress on themselves thinking that we wanted them in fellowship and if they didn't it'd disappoint. At the end of the day, as faculty, we want to make sure you're happy, well prepared, and doing what you love!

Good luck