Apply for PhD, then MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ap716

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'll be graduating in May 2017 and plan to apply to medical school in June-July of 2017 for 2018 matriculation. Originally, I had intended to use my gap year to complete an MPH or work. Recently, I've thought more about my research interests and am wanting to pursue MD/PhD instead.

Rather than working or doing a master's, is it possible to start a PhD program in the gap year and then apply for MD/PhD and basically integrate the two? In other words...

May 2017: finish bachelor's
2017-2018: first year of PhD (apply to medical school)
2018-2025 (or however long it takes): be considered an MD/PhD student

Members don't see this ad.

No. Just take the gap year to bolster your application for the MD/PhD if that's what you're after.

@eteshoe whats the best way to spend my time during the gap year? I was thinking to just pick up a research assistant job if MD/PhD is the direction I'm headed. Would that be beneficial in any way?

Members don't see this ad :)
@ap716 a research assistant job can certainly help but first off - what are your current stats?

@eteshoe
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: ~3.6
MCAT: 508 (I'll be retaking in January)
- President of 2 organizations along with a bunch of other ECs
- TONS of volunteer hours
- working on getting a neuroscrience paper published

Last edited:
GPA is solid. MCAT has to be improved (90th+ percentile). For the dual degree path your numbers matter of course but so does showing a sustained period of research experience (typical minimum ~2 yrs). Getting a paper published is not a requirement but can certainly boost your application.

@eteshoe I'll be in a stem cell/regenerative medicine lab throughout this school year which is what I would want my PhD research to revolve around. Perhaps I should stay in that lab for the gap year as well? Also, seeing as you're an MD/PhD student, what were your numbers like? What experiences stood out and made you a good candidate (in both yours and the adcom's view)?

@eteshoe I'll be in a stem cell/regenerative medicine lab throughout this school year which is what I would want my PhD research to revolve around. Perhaps I should stay in that lab for the gap year as well? Also, seeing as you're an MD/PhD student, what were your numbers like? What experiences stood out and made you a good candidate (in both yours and the adcom's view)?

Hey, just wanted to let you know that much further down on the SDN main forum page there's a whole section for the physician scientist path. Definitely check that out too.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with eteshoe: you need to get more research experience (publishing strictly optional), and you should retake the MCAT if you think you can score better. Do not start a PhD program with the intention of transferring into the MD/PhD program. While not completely impossible, it is relatively uncommon, and you should not count on being permitted to do it. If you are unable to get admitted to a combined degree program, you are far better off going MD-only and then adding on a PhD if you decide you still need one. The only people who should consider a PhD-only program are those who do not intend to ever go to medical school at all.

Reactions: 1 users