Apply for PhD, then MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ap716

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!

I'll be graduating in May 2017 and plan to apply to medical school in June-July of 2017 for 2018 matriculation. Originally, I had intended to use my gap year to complete an MPH or work. Recently, I've thought more about my research interests and am wanting to pursue MD/PhD instead.

Rather than working or doing a master's, is it possible to start a PhD program in the gap year and then apply for MD/PhD and basically integrate the two? In other words...

May 2017: finish bachelor's
2017-2018: first year of PhD (apply to medical school)
2018-2025 (or however long it takes): be considered an MD/PhD student
 
@eteshoe whats the best way to spend my time during the gap year? I was thinking to just pick up a research assistant job if MD/PhD is the direction I'm headed. Would that be beneficial in any way?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@eteshoe
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: ~3.6
MCAT: 508 (I'll be retaking in January)
- President of 2 organizations along with a bunch of other ECs
- TONS of volunteer hours
- working on getting a neuroscrience paper published
 
Last edited:
GPA is solid. MCAT has to be improved (90th+ percentile). For the dual degree path your numbers matter of course but so does showing a sustained period of research experience (typical minimum ~2 yrs). Getting a paper published is not a requirement but can certainly boost your application.
 
@eteshoe I'll be in a stem cell/regenerative medicine lab throughout this school year which is what I would want my PhD research to revolve around. Perhaps I should stay in that lab for the gap year as well? Also, seeing as you're an MD/PhD student, what were your numbers like? What experiences stood out and made you a good candidate (in both yours and the adcom's view)?
 
@eteshoe I'll be in a stem cell/regenerative medicine lab throughout this school year which is what I would want my PhD research to revolve around. Perhaps I should stay in that lab for the gap year as well? Also, seeing as you're an MD/PhD student, what were your numbers like? What experiences stood out and made you a good candidate (in both yours and the adcom's view)?


Hey, just wanted to let you know that much further down on the SDN main forum page there's a whole section for the physician scientist path. Definitely check that out too.
 
Agree with eteshoe: you need to get more research experience (publishing strictly optional), and you should retake the MCAT if you think you can score better. Do not start a PhD program with the intention of transferring into the MD/PhD program. While not completely impossible, it is relatively uncommon, and you should not count on being permitted to do it. If you are unable to get admitted to a combined degree program, you are far better off going MD-only and then adding on a PhD if you decide you still need one. The only people who should consider a PhD-only program are those who do not intend to ever go to medical school at all.