Apply or Retake in August....PLEASE HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

St3tha59

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that I'm not the first person to ask this but I could really use the help.

Physiology Major at Michigan State University (Michigan resident)
MCAT: 26N (V:9 P:8 B:9)
Cum GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.77

EC: Emergency Medicine Clinical Research Associate, Volunteer work at hospital and in other various school groups, Shadowed physicians, Patient Registrar in ER at hospital, Lyman Briggs School of Science, Vice-President/Co-founder of MSU Honors Pre-Med Society, Scholarship recipient, Backpacked around Europe (hey its an experience), and some other non medical work experience.

The problem is that I know for a fact that I can do much better on the MCAT in August if I put the time in. I was planning on applying to all Allopathic schools except for the MSUCOM but now with my MCAT scores I feel like, if I don't retake it, than I will be taking a risk by not applying to more Osteopathic schools. I really don't want to apply now and not get in anywhere and have to take it again next April and have a year off of school. Also, I do not want to take it again in August and run the risk of not getting in because I have applied too late. If I improve my scores to 10s and 11s will applying late hurt me that much? Someone please give me some advice.....

Members don't see this ad.

gujuDoc said:
Apply and indicate that you are going to retake in August.

Try to assess your weak areas and work from there. Think what may have gone wrong vs. what you could do differently.
I agree with this advice. Also note that while there is an advantage in a rolling admissions process to having your application looked at in its entirety sooner rather than later, the disadvantage of having late August MCAT scores will be far outweighed by the benefit of significantly higher scores if you can manage that.

St3tha59 said:
I know that I'm not the first person to ask this but I could really use the help.

Physiology Major at Michigan State University (Michigan resident)
MCAT: 26N (V:9 P:8 B:9)
Cum GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.77

EC: Emergency Medicine Clinical Research Associate, Volunteer work at hospital and in other various school groups, Shadowed physicians, Patient Registrar in ER at hospital, Lyman Briggs School of Science, Vice-President/Co-founder of MSU Honors Pre-Med Society, Scholarship recipient, Backpacked around Europe (hey its an experience), and some other non medical work experience.

The problem is that I know for a fact that I can do much better on the MCAT in August if I put the time in. I was planning on applying to all Allopathic schools except for the MSUCOM but now with my MCAT scores I feel like, if I don't retake it, than I will be taking a risk by not applying to more Osteopathic schools. I really don't want to apply now and not get in anywhere and have to take it again next April and have a year off of school. Also, I do not want to take it again in August and run the risk of not getting in because I have applied too late. If I improve my scores to 10s and 11s will applying late hurt me that much? Someone please give me some advice.....

Hey I am a physio major at MSU too! GO STATE!!! :thumbup: :D