Apply This Cycle vs Hospitalist-Gap?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jinxapotato

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDN, I'm here once again consulting your opinions.

I am a Canadian, PGY2 resident, DO, on a J1 visa.
I go to a low-mid tier university program in the West.
Board score were 240s, COMLEX low 600s.
We have a main hospital and a cancer hospital, but we do not have inhouse heme-onc fellowship.
I have 3 publications thus far (first/second author), in not-so-fancy journals, and 3 poster presentations. I am currently working on a retrospective chart-checking study with an oncology attending at the cancer hospital, hopefully I can get an abstract out on time before application.

Trouble is, because of COVID19, we IM residents have been pulled all over the place to cover ward/nightfloat/ICU, and the program has cancelled my elective/research times. As such, I am struggling to spend enough time with a heme-onc doc to obtain a good letter of rec.

If I apply this year, and not match, I am worried that the "not-match" status is just gonna make future apps even harder. I may have the option of hopping on a H1b to work as a hospitalist for 1-2 year, to finish more research and connect with more heme-onc docs. I also have the option of doing a chief year in an outside institution with inhouse heme-onc fellowship.

Should I just YOLO it and apply with what I have this year? Or should I take a gap year to do either hospitalist or chief (I personally don't like the chief role but I heard it helps more for application...) and apply in 1-2 years? Thank you so much!