Hematology/Oncology Fellowship 2023-2024 application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymousmunchkin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been stalking the hemonc forum waiting for someone to start this thread but no one has yet, so I decided to start one. How is the preparation going for everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for starting this thread! Should we generate a similar spreadsheet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay I prob not the best person for this spreadsheet and please if you have any additional info or sheets you want to add it to the spreadsheet, feel free to do so. If you have the spreadsheet from the previous years you can also add the info into a separate sheet. Let's get it started!!
Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Spreadsheet (2023-2024)

Thoughts on the geographic signaling? I have four of the geographic areas that I would be very happy to live in and I don’t want to box myself out of one of them by picking 3.

Thoughts on the geographic signaling? I have four of the geographic areas that I would be very happy to live in and I don’t want to box myself out of one of them by picking 3.
My thoughts (which really aren't helpful to you I'm afraid) are that this whole "signaling" thing is a gigantic vat of horses*** and I'm very sorry everybody has jacked this all up for all of you.

My thoughts (which really aren't helpful to you I'm afraid) are that this whole "signaling" thing is a gigantic vat of horses*** and I'm very sorry everybody has jacked this all up for all of you.
Thanks, yeah my current thought is to just say no preference since I’m only applying to locations where I would actually want to live.

Thank you so much for starting the thread!

Question for you all. Is there any disadvantage you incur if you submit your application anywhere in b/w 7/5-7/19 and not immediately when it opens? I'm traumatized from med school where we had to apply right when it opens.

1686701844058.png

Thank you so much for starting the thread!

Question for you all. Is there any disadvantage you incur if you submit your application anywhere in b/w 7/5-7/19 and not immediately when it opens? I'm traumatized from med school where we had to apply right when it opens.

View attachment 373051
Just submit before the july19th “open,” even if it is right before; an argument could be made, as long as close to July 19th but slightly after, as long as it is for a good reason, it likely won’t be a problem bc the programs usually review in one fell swoop 1-3 weeks after the submission deadline (am on fellowship recruitment committee as faculty). As an applicant several years ago, 2016, got my earliest interview 10 days after deadline and latest 6 weeks. All of the programs I interviewed at I was offered an interview in the first round of interviews so there is a large range (for example Cornell and mskcc offer interviews quite late among some other programs)

In summary, to answer your question succinctly it’s just best to submit no later than July 19th but no need to submit exactly when it opens

• Care
What idiots came up with this new version of eras? Completing this application sucks so much. Like applying for fellowship isn't hard enough as it is

Members don't see this ad :)
Do program directors skip over research that is just "submitted"?

Is there a way to list projects I'm working on that won't be submitted until late July?
Does ERAS not have a Research Experiences (or similar) section anymore? That's where you put stuff you're currently working on. Submitted is meaningless since anybody can submit any pile of ChatGPT generated crap and call it "submitted".

Does ERAS not have a Research Experiences (or similar) section anymore? That's where you put stuff you're currently working on. Submitted is meaningless since anybody can submit any pile of ChatGPT generated crap and call it "submitted".
ASH abstracts are a great example in which using the “submitted” option makes sense; deadline is august and you don’t find out until sept/oct.

As far as a paper manuscript that’s submitted it’s true that you can list and discuss it in your research experiences section but I always advise my mentees to use the submitted option for these purposes. Not sure what’s right or wrong or best practice but I review 100 apps every year to offer interviews to applicants and it’s not a negative for me when I see it in an app (especially when it’s something legit like ash or a significant paper)

Are there going to be fellowship program level signals this year like the IM residency currently has 7 I believe? Couldn’t find anything on it on the ERAS page.

Are the combined fellowships (h/o + geriatrics/hospice/palliative) less competitive?

Just submit before the july19th “open,” even if it is right before; an argument could be made, as long as close to July 19th but slightly after, as long as it is for a good reason, it likely won’t be a problem bc the programs usually review in one fell swoop 1-3 weeks after the submission deadline (am on fellowship recruitment committee as faculty). As an applicant several years ago, 2016, got my earliest interview 10 days after deadline and latest 6 weeks. All of the programs I interviewed at I was offered an interview in the first round of interviews so there is a large range (for example Cornell and mskcc offer interviews quite late among some other programs)

In summary, to answer your question succinctly it’s just best to submit no later than July 19th but no need to submit exactly when it opens
Hey thank you so much, really appreciate getting some feedback from an actual committee member, may God bless you and your time.

I'm submitting a few abstracts to ASH. IF they're accepted, am I supposed to email the programs to notify them and would they even care? I'm guessing it'll be around september/october

I'm submitting a few abstracts to ASH. IF they're accepted, am I supposed to email the programs to notify them and would they even care? I'm guessing it'll be around september/october
Mention on your interview and or send an update to the coordinator but most won’t care (though would definitely mention on your interview at a minimum). The problem is that the the notification date is the last week of sept/1st week of October so option 1 (mentioning during interview) will likely not pan out for at least a portion of your interviews….

How many words are too long for a personal statement?

Any way to make the last year's spreadsheet unlocked?
To what end? I can't imagine a use case where you being able to comment on a dead document is beneficial.

But since the spreadsheets are are member generated, managed (and usually ruined), in order to get it unlocked, you'd need to hunt down whoever created it and locked it, and ask them directly.

What should go under the 10 experiences on ERAS? Individual research projects? Previous employment?

How do you register for the NRMP match? I tried clicking the register button on their website but there's no further buttons under the IM specialities link?

Anyone able to submit the application today? I am still waiting on some LORs. All the best to everyone!

Question for any faculty or fellows on this thread:
Does being a dual-boarded applicant (from a combined residency, like med-peds or medp-psych) make a difference to the application? Either being an advantage or disadvantage? Would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Does being a dual-boarded applicant (from a combined residency, like med-peds or medp-psych) make a difference to the application? Either being an advantage or disadvantage? Would appreciate your input. Thanks!
Med peds I see as a benefit but would be clear about opportunities we could provide from an adult program (in prior years have had extremely qualified med peds applicants but asking for dual training in fellowship which is nearly impossible to achieve )

Disadvantage to neutral. Adult heme/onc is adult IM, would need compelling reasons for additional training to seem anything but distraction

Disadvantage to neutral. Adult heme/onc is adult IM, would need compelling reasons for additional training to seem anything but distraction
Disagree but I’ve only been faculty for a week.

I would vote neutral to maybe slight advantage due to being somewhat different from the herd.

I agree would not come into an interview (or career) expecting to see Peds and Adults or it would turn into a disadvantage. That is a difficult / somewhat unrealistic goal. If you did Med/Peds and then decided you prefer adult medicine nobody would hold that against you IMO

Med peds I see as a benefit but would be clear about opportunities we could provide from an adult program (in prior years have had extremely qualified med peds applicants but asking for dual training in fellowship which is nearly impossible to achieve )
It's not that hard to achieve as long as it's an institution with both adult and peds hem/onc fellowships. There are a few official combined fellowship programs, and more unofficial ones out there. It's definitely a niche, but it's one that could stand to be filled.

Disagree but I’ve only been faculty for a week.

I would vote neutral to maybe slight advantage due to being somewhat different from the herd.

I agree would not come into an interview (or career) expecting to see Peds and Adults or it would turn into a disadvantage. That is a difficult / somewhat unrealistic goal. If you did Med/Peds and then decided you prefer adult medicine nobody would hold that against you IMO
I'm going to agree with you here. And I would argue that Med/Psych would be a massive benefit in managing a lot of the day-to-day mental health issues we deal with in oncology.

There's definitely going to be people arguing "they only did 2 years of IM", to which I counter the Research pathway, which only has 2 years of IM and most of them are loaded with Hem/Onc rotations (I did 3 months of hem/onc plus 2 months of research in my 2 years) and programs l fight over those candidates.

I'm going to agree with you here. And I would argue that Med/Psych would be a massive benefit in managing a lot of the day-to-day mental health issues we deal with in oncology.

There's definitely going to be people arguing "they only did 2 years of IM", to which I counter the Research pathway, which only has 2 years of IM and most of them are loaded with Hem/Onc rotations (I did 3 months of hem/onc plus 2 months of research in my 2 years) and programs l fight over those candidates.
I appreciate the response. I was wondering because I am actually a Med-psych physician, dual boarded in ABIM and ABPN. Currently working as Assistant Professor in a University setting, just started my 4th year as an attending. So, I am happy to hear that this would be appreciated. My projects have always had a mental health and Oncology inclination, that's kinda why I am really interested in Hem-Onc.

And in Med-psych, we do 30 months of IM, so that turns out to be 2.5 years, and in Psych we do at least 2 months of Neuro, sometimes more with electives. So, gets pretty close to a full 36 month IM residency.

Thanks for the feedback, this makes me feel better!

Is it at all possible to go from hematology only to heme-onc later? without doing an entirely fresh heme-onc fellowship

Is it at all possible to go from hematology only to heme-onc later? without doing an entirely fresh heme-onc fellowship
Why would you do heme only?

You can do an onc only fellowship after heme (2y) or try to convince a program to give you time off for good behavior, but most dual-board programs are going to want you to put in your time on the benign and malignant heme services, so they might give you your 3rd year off after getting 24 months of clinical work out of you.

Best option is to talk with the current heme program and ask for an extra year.

But since your profile lists you as a med student, this is probably all hypothetical anyway.

Most programs are electing to keep interviews virtual -- that is the recommendation to keep the playing field level. Our interviews are going to be exclusively virtual.

Most programs are electing to keep interviews virtual -- that is the recommendation to keep the playing field level. Our interviews are going to be exclusively virtual.

Hi randomhemoncpd, quick question. How do you typically check for date of application completion. I submitted my full app by day one, but then went in 2 days later to download copy. In the process I changed my PS title and that update my PS submission date to 2 days later than all my other docs. Would you and other pd’s view that as the app being late?

Can’t speak for others but I don’t care about date of completion as long as the interview list is still pending. I do circle back at the end (before invites are sent) to make sure there aren’t any new strong candidates that we missed earlier. At the end of the day I care most about recruiting a strong class that fits well with our program and application submission date really has nothing to with that. Best of luck.