Applying as a Native American. Will I be harassed during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yepanotherpmed

Reaction score
I am Native American and enrolled in my tribe. Are interviewers going to pester me with questions about my being Native American? They would never do this to a Black URM or a Hispanic URM. For some reason, though, I have a bad feeling they will harass me with questions! I read one thread where a Native American applicant got 20 interviews and 19 rejections because she "didn't walk the walk."

Members don't see this ad.

Going 1/20 on interviews sounds like an incredible outlier and shouldn’t worry you about your own performance. No way to know why that applicant had such poor results.

My uneducated opinion is that the only reason you would get questions about your ethnic background is if you made it a large part of your application/path to medicine. For example, describing at length how observations in your/someone else’s tribal community contributed to your desire to practice medicine, working in roles with a focus on helping Native Americans, etc.

My experience was that anything you write about in AMCAS and secondaries is fair game. I self-identified as (and wrote about) being SES disadvantaged, and that came up extensively in my interviews. If I were someone who felt uncomfortable talking about that aspect of my upbringing then I probably would’ve had a rough time interviewing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I am Native American and enrolled in my tribe. Are interviewers going to pester me with questions about my being Native American? They would never do this to a Black URM or a Hispanic URM. For some reason, though, I have a bad feeling they will harass me with questions! I read one thread where a Native American applicant got 20 interviews and 19 rejections because she "didn't walk the walk."
It was a he, not a she, and I suspect that it wasn't merely about walking the walk, but not being a good interviewer as well.

If you have a tribal card, you're fine.

Interviewers are no more going to pester you about being NA than they would pester an African-American about being African-American.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry this is something you even feel the need to worry about... but given that there are certainly people out there who try to falsely claim Native American heritage for their own benefit, your concern is understandable. Unless you give schools a clear reason to think you're lying about having official tribal affiliation or something along those lines, though, I can't imagine anyone bringing it up in a negative way. If your experience as a Native American features prominently in your narrative, don't be surprised if it comes up during interviews in a positive way – potentially a lot. There's a good chance you'll have interviewers who are genuinely interested in your experience and all that you have to offer as a result.

Not at all a perfect comparison, but for what it's worth, I never got grilled about whether I'm really gay...despite the fact that some people very-occasionally try to pass as LGBTQ+ if they think it will give them an advantage. It did come up quite a bit in interviews, though, because a decent chunk of my application focused on my experiences as a gay patient in the regions I grew up in.

Reactions: 1 user
need a link but yah i sincerely doubt it had anything to do with being native american. and also if """"""they""""" were going to do """""this""""" to minority A they'd do it to minority B too.

Maybe I don't understand the question. In the East, NA applicants are uncommon. In OK, I'm sure much more common. I don't quite understand the sensitivity regarding questions about your ethnicity and culture. If an interviewer has never met or interviewed a NA applicant, their questions might be genuine curiosity. Even if an irritating question comes up, I urge you to calmly and honestly answer it. Then move the interviewer along. Have a great interview, then report any interviewer who you felt was inappropriate after you are admitted. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Maybe I don't understand the question. In the East, NA applicants are uncommon. In OK, I'm sure much more common. I don't quite understand the sensitivity regarding questions about your ethnicity and culture. If an interviewer has never met or interviewed a NA applicant, their questions might be genuine curiosity. Even if an irritating question comes up, I urge you to calmly and honestly answer it. Then move the interviewer along. Have a great interview, then report any interviewer who you felt was inappropriate after you are admitted. Good luck and best wishes!
Speaking as a Native from the East, it's not so much sensitivity as it is an annoyance and sometimes inappropriate. Oftentimes when people find out you're indigenous, you become the Spokesperson for all things Native America for them, and it becomes exhausting. I spent an hour on standby at a recreation center during an EMT shift the other day fielding questions for an older gentleman waiting for the pool. After the first half-hour, it became intrusive and inappropriate to ask a complete stranger (and I would have requested he stop asking questions, but I didn't want to be mean to this older gentleman, although it was in my right to request he stop asking me about Lincoln's massacre in 1862).

There's a time and place to ask questions, but my family's experience has been that people feel obliged to answers to all things indigenous, nevermind the fact that there are 500+ tribes out there and you may have just met them. You're treated like a unicorn in your own homeland and it's ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 user
If your application and essays are peppered with your Native American experiences and how they affect your long term goals I would expect questions about them. Though I don’t see how those questions would be harassment. No different than a black applicant talking about the poor health conditions in his housing project growing up and wanting to serve that community as a physician and then being asked about that.
The interview isn’t an inquisition, but part of the interview process is to learn more about an applicant and screen for red flags. If you can’t answer questions for a few minutes about your own application, essays, history, goals, etc. without getting upset, you might go 0:20 as well.
On the other hand if the Native American content of your application is limited to a box you checked, I doubt you’ll get any questions about it at all. Nobody is looking at those things when preparing for an interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Speaking as a Native from the East, it's not so much sensitivity as it is an annoyance and sometimes inappropriate. Oftentimes when people find out you're indigenous, you become the Spokesperson for all things Native America for them, and it becomes exhausting. I spent an hour on standby at a recreation center during an EMT shift the other day fielding questions for an older gentleman waiting for the pool. After the first half-hour, it became intrusive and inappropriate to ask a complete stranger (and I would have requested he stop asking questions, but I didn't want to be mean to this older gentleman, although it was in my right to request he stop asking me about Lincoln's massacre in 1862).

There's a time and place to ask questions, but my family's experience has been that people feel obliged to answers to all things indigenous, nevermind the fact that there are 500+ tribes out there and you may have just met them. You're treated like a unicorn in your own homeland and it's ridiculous.
Sorta like being a member of any group. Same thing happens to me as a DO. There are some people who out of curiosity innocently ignore and invade boundaries. You just need to then take control of the conversation and redirect the topic.

Sorta like being a member of any group. Same thing happens to me as a DO. There are some people who out of curiosity innocently ignore and invade boundaries. You just need to then take control of the conversation and redirect the topic.
Sorry, but I don't think you're really understanding if you're comparing our situations. I agree that taking control of a conversation is necessary.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't think you're really understanding if you're comparing our situations. I agree that taking control of a conversation is necessary.
I personally don't see how such questions are 'inappropriate'. I've been questioned about my ethnic background many, many times and find it an enjoyable way to have discussions with strangers. People are often curious about stuff that is different than their own experience. A lot of this comes from seeing race as a touchy issue; I do not see it in that way at all (I know I am in the minority here) and see discussions around my race, culture and religion to be perfectly fine. Much like if someone I meet grew up in, say, Nova Scotia...I might spend a good while asking them all kinds of stuff about what that experience is/was like. I think if you assume a discussion about race is a negative, or is discriminatory, you will see any conversation or question like this to be offensive. I try to draw a line between harmless curiosity, or someone learning about my background, vs genuine 'racism' or 'discrimination'. They are not the same.

It's similar, being a DO is like being any minority. People may not know much about your backround or life experiences.An interview is about getting to know you. Your ethnicity or race could be part of it, but would basically be in regards to your personal statement. I have little interest in rehashing history. I want to know if I would want you for my doctor. Can you connect with people?Do you project warmth? Can you discuss issues calmly even if I disagree with you? Can you think on your feet and provide authentic answers? This is what I look for in an interview. I have been a DO for many years. When I finished DOs were pretty rare in my area. Patients would say,, DO, Whats That??I would explain and often got this response....Gee, that's almost like being a Doctor..I always saw an opportunity to educate on what a DO was rather than get annoyed at someone's lack of knowledge. Your backround is unique and makes you special in many ways. Remember, Doctor is Latin for Teacher.

• Love
  • Dislike
It's similar, being a DO is like being any minority. People may not know much about your backround or life experiences.An interview is about getting to know you. Your ethnicity or race could be part of it, but would basically be in regards to your personal statement. I have little interest in rehashing history. I want to know if I would want you for my doctor. Can you connect with people?Do you project warmth? Can you discuss issues calmly even if I disagree with you? Can you think on your feet and provide authentic answers? This is what I look for in an interview. I have been a DO for many years. When I finished DOs were pretty rare in my area. Patients would say,, DO, Whats That??I would explain and often got this response....Gee, that's almost like being a Doctor..I always saw an opportunity to educate on what a DO was rather than get annoyed at someone's lack of knowledge. Your backround is unique and makes you special in many ways. Remember, Doctor is Latin for Teacher.
No sir, you do not understand what being a minority is like because you are a DO.

Well, you don't have many options. You can let it bother you or choose to control how people speak to you and shrug it off as someone's lack of knowledge. It's your choice. I would choose the positive one. Good luck

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Well, you don't have many options. You can let it bother you or choose to control how people speak to you and shrug it off as someone's lack of knowledge. It's your choice. I would choose the positive one. Good luck
Right but see I didn't ever ask for your advice, you said you didn't understand the sensitivity so I clarified it for you.

Just have a short reply about how you are affiliated with your tribe and what it means to you.

I wouldn't consider it "pestering". I think you will get some questions out of genuine curiosity, trying to make small talk, and also verifying you have legit native american roots. i bet some people try and pull an elizabeth warren.

It's the small price you pay for the enormous application boost.