Applying DR and IR/DR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harambe4ever

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like most applicants applying IR/DR are also applying to DR-only due to the competitiveness of IR/DR right now and the paucity of programs.

For those that did this, did you receive DR-only interviews from places you interviewed for IR/DR or even got rejected for IR/DR? Is it a disadvantage for your DR interviews? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Your post might be better suited in the IR sub-forum.

I applied IR/DR-only to some programs, IR/DR and DR at some programs, and DR-only (at programs without IR/DR). Summary of my findings:

1. If you get an IR/DR invite and applied for DR at that program, you automatically get a DR interview and can rank both programs separately.
2. If you get an IR/DR invite, but you didn't apply for DR at the program, you probably won't be interviewed for DR (and you can't rank it anyhow without adding it on ERAS). Certain places will have interview days just for the people who applied IR/DR-only (Mt. Sinai in my experience)
3. UCSD rejected me from their DR-research tract, and apparently didn't let anyone who interviewed for IR rank the DR-research (per an email they sent out). I interviewed for IR/DR and DR-only.

Tip: If you apply IR/DR-only at certain places, expect to be asked why you didn't apply for their DR-only program. The reasons I heard on the interview trail were, "Well I'd come here for IR/DR, but I don't want to come here for DR." and "Oh, I must've forgotten to add you on ERAS." Full disclosure: I said both of those things and wish I had been a bit more tactful.

I recommend applying to both IR and DR at all places. Programs want to know you are committed to DR and would be willing to do that if need be. Every institution may have a different policy for how they judge applicants, I found some places had totally separate committees, while some had the same committee that chose for both IR and DR spots.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ya you might as well interview for the DR if you are there for IR. You don't have to rank them highly or even at all and you get to avoid the " why are you only applying to our IR" " because I wouldn't come here for DR" kind of stuff

Thanks all. I guess I was more just wondering if applying IR at an institution hurts your DR-only chances at the same institution, particularly if the IR program doesn't interview you.

Thanks all. I guess I was more just wondering if applying IR at an institution hurts your DR-only chances at the same institution, particularly if the IR program doesn't interview you.

It may. Totally subjective with a very small n, but i have experienced and heard of a few instances of a competitive dual applicant only getting IR, while their equivalent or less competitive DR-only classmate got DR. Impossible to tell though, and it could easily be chalked up to this whole process being equally confusing for PDs