Applying during M.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T-Rex

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten blatantly rejected while applying to Med School during their Master's Degree? I just started my Master's in Biochem this semester and would really like to take the April MCAT and apply in June for the 2004 med school class. However, I'm not sure how the general response has been towards applicants in the midst of doing their Master's...any responses welcome :)

Members don't see this ad.

The main concern that some schools have with graduate students is whether or not they can finish their degree before matriculation. If it's obvious that you won't be able to finish, and the school even cares, then yes it would most likely be a problem. On the other hand I know of examples where MS students were accepted and were under no obligation to complete their degree. Bottom line is that every school is different.

Without a doubt I would suggest that you begin your MS with every intension on finishing (not that you aren't). Not having the time to finish and never having the intension to do so are two very different things. If you plan to start this fall then you can diffinetly finish before fall 2004. Good luck.

I happen to be in the same situtation (applying with one graduate semester left), but I can't offer any insight as to how you'll be preceived (still waiting to hear from schools). But I would imagine that our situtation is similar to an undergraduate in their junior year who is applying.

I'm in the second year of my MPH in epidemiology. The only problem I've had is some schools that require either my advisor or the department head to send in a letter stating that they know that I will be going to med school and will have finished my degree by the time I start.

Just as a quick update about MS concerns. I just got an interview at LECOM (an osteopathic school). So far so good.