Applying for a Research Internship in the Summer (Highschool Student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish him the best of luck, but don't wish to see him make the mistakes that so many of us have made- failing to live our lives to the fullest due to a singleminded pursuit.

I agree, but I don't see how a 3-week program is going to keep him from enjoying his life. It doesn't even sound that intense.

If he decided to work six nights a week in some cardio lab, I'd be the first to back you up.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree, but I don't see how a 3-week program is going to keep him from enjoying his life. It doesn't even sound that intense.

If he decided to work six nights a week in some cardio lab, I'd be the first to back you up.
Well, normally the only people so eager to pursue something like this tend to be pretty tightly wound if you follow what I'm saying......see where I'm coming from?

Well, normally the only people so eager to pursue something like this tend to be pretty tightly wound if you follow what I'm saying......see where I'm coming from?

that was my point. you can TOTALLY be into you career and other things young... but i feel that the fact the OP is asking strangers for advice makes me question their true desire in pursuing medicine/science at this time. i really do think it's important for the OP to hear the criticism out there because chances are, 90% of those surrounding the OP think he is great. we don't want our future physicians to be any more puffed up than need-be, do we?

get where everyone is coming from now, OP?

P.S. lesson 1: medicine doesn't constitute only of "brothers". I'm a chick... and it seems like those who felt the most compassion for you and backed your questions/desires to pursue medicine in previous posts are chicks as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in high school too, whats so wrong about that?? =) I think finding your passion early in life is great.

Anyway, I support your enthusiasm to start early. I went to a summer program at UCLA my junior year also. ANYTHING to support your college application, especially for their undergraduate medical programs, is highly beneficial for you.

With your essay, be honest and have many many people revise it. =)

They actually have summer research internships for highschool kids?!?! Wow, when I was in H.S. I only wanted to spend my summer reverting back to childhood with cartoons and big bowls of cheerios! What happened to the days of kids wanting to go to sports camps, and summer camps in the woods with the sole purpose being hooking up with other kids?

In fact, I apologize for being so hard on the kid and if I can be of assistance, I would be happy to offer it.
Nice. Refreshing to see folks here apologize if they feel they've gone too far. It's the sign of a class act.

Incidentally, I agree with the concern about getting too narrow-minded, but I think at the high school level, a little focus is probably a good thing. It seems like it's in college when the premed single-mindedness really kicks in. Of course this is coming from someone who probably could have used more focus up until about oh 25 or so, so don't listen to me.

Also, a high school degree isn't enough to earn a decent living anymore (as it was back in the 1950s, for example).

Now you need a Masters and preferrably a PhD to be accomplished, and they're selling out like pancakes, so soon we will need a post-doctoral fellowship in order to find a job.

Can anyone help me? Tips would be GREATLY appreciated, I really want to get into this program, it will be a great start to my career in cardiology.

Go tell them that you are willing to clean pipets the whole time as long as you can get your name published in a paper or two, heh. You joined SDN in the June of 2006? Weren't you in like tenth grade then? sheesh

Sounds like a good program. I wish I would've been able to do something like that in HS especially since it's only 3 weeks..

OK what i think everybody is trying to say...

kid, get a life, this could be your last summer of relaxation so you might as
well enjoy it...trust us

i appreciate the new comments, but you guys need to realize I have the remainer of summer (6 weeks) to do whatever I want, go camping with friend's family like i do every year, etc.

i was solely asking for some tips on tackling this essay, but it seems like i got some lectures on life as well, which I appreciate for my sake, but I'm mature and self aware of what I'm doing

Thanks medical brothers AND sisters! :)

i appreciate the new comments, but you guys need to realize I have the remainer of summer (6 weeks) to do whatever I want, go camping with friend's family like i do every year, etc.

i was solely asking for some tips on tackling this essay, but it seems like i got some lectures on life as well, which I appreciate for my sake, but I'm mature and self aware of what I'm doing

Thanks medical brothers AND sisters! :)
Like I said, if I can help you with your essay let me know.......and I apologize again for being a dick.