Applying for Citizenship, affect my medical school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

don't you dare

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm eligible to apply for citizenship now (currently a permanent resident), but I was wondering if the process of getting my citizenship will affect my medical school application? I feel like it won't because I am a permanent resident, but I want to make sure. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

No it won’t. But you can’t update AMCAS to state you have become a citizen. You have to tell schools individually if you have already submitted AMCAS.
TMDSAS AND AACOMAS let you update this information.
Source = me. Did it last year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Becoming a citizen as well, I was asked about PR status in a few interviews and I just responded "I'm becoming a citizen," didn't seem to adversely affect me in terms of acceptance. (Also, I'm in Texas and that citizenship interview wait is eternal. Local center still reviewing cases from October 2016 :()

Members don't see this ad :)
Becoming a citizen as well, I was asked about PR status in a few interviews and I just responded "I'm becoming a citizen," didn't seem to adversely affect me in terms of acceptance. (Also, I'm in Texas and that citizenship interview wait is eternal. Local center still reviewing cases from October 2016 :()
Thank you for the info! I hope you things work out in your favor :)

No it won’t. But you can’t update AMCAS to state you have become a citizen. You have to tell schools individually if you have already submitted AMCAS.
TMDSAS AND AACOMAS let you update this information.
Source = me. Did it last year

Thank you! I'm applying this cycle so hopefully I get my citizenship sometime next year :)