Applying for FM Without FM LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyblue2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would really appreciate some advice on this... I want to apply for FM, but unfortunately, do not have any FM LORs.

I could get 2 IM and 1 peds, so together they could at least discuss my interest in the entire spectrum of patient populations. But I had one fam rotation and it was completely useless... And minimal interaction with the attending.

I'm an IMG and need visa (Canadian). I've been told FM is less and less inclined towards visas now.

I'd appreciate your response.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I would really appreciate some advice on this... I want to apply for FM, but unfortunately, do not have any FM LORs.

I could get 2 IM and 1 peds, so together they could at least discuss my interest in the entire spectrum of patient populations. But I had one fam rotation and it was completely useless... And minimal interaction with the attending.

I'm an IMG and need visa (Canadian). I've been told FM is less and less inclined towards visas now.

I'd appreciate your response.
I would assume the letter writer's ability to comment on your competency in a "family medicine" setting (i.e. primary care, outpatient medicine) is much more important than what specialty the writer did their residency in.

In terms of the visa, generalizations like "less and less inclined" really have no importance. If you want to do family medicine, then just apply to as many programs as you can and see what happens. Plenty of people get visas for FM programs every year.