Applying for hospital positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacy112233

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated this year and I am applying for hospital positions, mostly in the rural area. I have not received any interviews. So far I have been applying with a one-page resume, cover letter and references (when asked). Would it be better to apply with my CV instead of resume? Granted, its longer but more detailed on my clinical rotations, research, presentations, leadership, etc. Thanks for any advice or personal experience!

Members don't see this ad.

There can be around a 100 people applying for 1 position when it comes to hospital positions. Applying with a CV instead of a resume won't increase your odds much. Connections and networking are more important.

Reactions: 3 users
1) often times these positions are filled before they are posted 2) if you don't have the right keywords/experience, you resume will automatically be discarded by the computer algorithm 3) as BigBoss says, hospitals get tens to hundreds of applications, if yours actually gets looked at by a human, it's going to be a quick glance, so if you don't say it on the first page it won't be seen.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
CV is better but unless you are iv trained or have a residency, the chances are slim unless you know folks

1) often times these positions are filled before they are posted 2) if you don't have the right keywords/experience, you resume will automatically be discarded by the computer algorithm 3) as BigBoss says, hospitals get tens to hundreds of applications, if yours actually gets looked at by a human, it's going to be a quick glance, so if you don't say it on the first page it won't be seen.
honestly CV's are overrated - as a new grad - you really don't have anything on your CV vs resume that would truly change my mind as a hiring manager - it is true we simply have 100 apps for every opening - it is a harsh reality (I live in a relatively desirable small city) - I will take someone with 5-10 years experience over a new grad nearly every day - there just isn't something that you can say that will get my attention from your CV unless you have networked to get my attention. It sucks, I get it, but if I am going to invest time and energy into a new hire, I am going to go with someone with proven experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Your best bet as a new grad is staffing agencies apply for those three month contract position, but you have to be flexible with location. Every now and then, they take new grads. Once you can get that first three month experience, it gets somewhat easier from there. Good luck

but but but the OP is applying in rural areas! I thought the main counter argument in the doom and gloom threads is that there are plenty of positions to be had in the rural areas?!

where are those people that has been saying that now?! get this man a job

Your best bet as a new grad is staffing agencies apply for those three month contract position, but you have to be flexible with location. Every now and then, they take new grads. Once you can get that first three month experience, it gets somewhat easier from there. Good luck

Thank you this is pretty helpful!

Thank you everyone for your insight. Hospital positions even in rural areas are now so competitive! I’ll keep applying including retail in rural areas. Hopefully, something will come up!

I started as a tech and then worked as an intern at the hospital that hired me right out of school so that was my in. For staff pharmacists, almost every pharmacist at my hospital either worked as an intern there or was hired through word of mouth by other pharmacists already there. The other posters are correct when they say that most of these positions are already filled by the time they are posted. I know that when we added two ER pharmacists a few years ago we had close to 500 applicants for the two positions.

I second the agency idea. A rural hospital took me for a 2 month gig (and paid for my hotel the whole time) when my only prior hospital experience was as a tech. Turns out Pyxis machines haven't changed much in over a decade. And 2 months may not be much experience, but it's better than zero months.

Reactions: 2 users