Applying for job after being in current one for only 7 months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bacillus1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been emplyed at my current job for the past 7 months, and am not happy with the way that the pharmacy department is run at this hospital. I can't say that I hate my job, but I don't exactly like it all that much either. Today I got an e-mail about another hospital hiring for a position similar to mine, but this hospital has a better reputation in the area in terms of treatment of its pharmacy employees. In addition, it is in a more desirable location for me (though close enough for me to keep my apartment until I find another one to move to). Given the exact same salary (verified) and benefits (have yet to verify), would it be wise for me to apply for this position? I really want to, but am afraid that this hospital will never consider me again if they see that I am applying for a job so soon after starting one, deeming me an unworthy candidate forever. I would really like to work for this hospital at some point, and don't want to be "blacklisted" from working there for life.

Members don't see this ad.

Applications are not commitments. Why wouldn't you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applications are not commitments. Why wouldn't you?

Another reason is that they're both government jobs, and it's a small world, so don't want to get anyone angry. My probation is 1 year, so don't want people find more reasons to try to fire me.

I've never heard of anyone being blacklisted permanently because of applying for a job when they've been at their current job less than a year--that part I wouldn't worry about.

Twice in my career, I left a job after being their less than a year. The 2nd time, my current boss did find out that I was looking for another job, but things were already tense, so I can't say it made things any tenser (on this job, I realized on my very first day that I had made a mistake in taking that job--the backstabbing and sabotage was scary) So that is something you should consider, that your current boss may find out. A 1 year probably seems pretty long (most probations are like 90 days).

(edited because I accidently hit enter to soon)

Jesus man. Now I'm kind of glad I accidentally missed the deadline to apply for your position. I still owe you a beer.

Another reason is that they're both government jobs, and it's a small world, so don't want to get anyone angry. My probation is 1 year, so don't want people find more reasons to try to fire me.

Are people trying to find reasons to fire you? That sounds kind of scary.

It's possible the director at the other hospital might have an idea of what your current pharmacy department is like anyway (since it's in the same geographic area). If so, I doubt he/she will blame you for trying to find a new job. Personally, I don't think job hunting after seven months is that crazy anyway. You're almost to the one year mark, and it can take a while sometimes to find a new job.

With how HR departments can move, you might end up very close to 1 year by the time any offer is made anyway. Hiring processes can really drag from application to interviews to offer.

Are people trying to find reasons to fire you? That sounds kind of scary.

It's possible the director at the other hospital might have an idea of what your current pharmacy department is like anyway (since it's in the same geographic area). If so, I doubt he/she will blame you for trying to find a new job. Personally, I don't think job hunting after seven months is that crazy anyway. You're almost to the one year mark, and it can take a while sometimes to find a new job.

It is possible, as 0ther people have left my hospital for this one.

About finding reasons to fire me, let's just say this: I had my performance eval and they listed little procedural things I did wrong (I didn't know any better, I just started, these were NOT medication errors) and it looked like I had enough things in various categories to not pass the performance eval, so yes they can fire me if they want. I mean, if I improve them, I will pass, but what if I do something else slightly wrong or get written up by a nurse or my average time to process an order goes up?

Hopefully today the hospital will reply to my interest e-mail, and I will be able to apply. There is no official application (I guess they only want internal applicants and transfers, which is fine with me, as I'd be considered a transfer), so I'll just see if they reply to me.

Last edited:
I'll reply to you in depth later, but to answer your question, you should absolutely apply out.

In fact, everyone reading this, even if you love your job and everything...you should be browsing/networking to be aware of positions on a monthly/quarterly basis. In fact, you should even consider applying for a job once a year just as an exercise to keep from getting complacent and comfortable.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks everyone. I decided not to apply for this particular position, as it would amount to me getting less benefits (equalling at least 10k a year for up to 5 years provided I meet my performance standards--so $6700 after taxes) and I feel like that amount of money is enough compensation for what they put us through here. However, I am thinking about another option right now, and it's good to know that I shouldn't be afraid to apply for it.

A 1 year probably seems pretty long (most probations are like 90 days).

I'm guessing OP is either at the VA, IHS or some similar fed agency. I believe that almost every government job requires a 1 year probation period, regardless of position.

Reactions: 1 user
In retrospect was it a good choice that you held out longer for a better position?

I'm guessing OP is either at the VA, IHS or some similar fed agency. I believe that almost every government job requires a 1 year probation period, regardless of position.
IHS wouldn’t do that. The environment in IHS for the most part is way better than say army or VA in part due to all of the high turn over in staff you don’t get the type of cliques you do in army or VA locations. Army/VA has different/procedures n policies for filling c3 through c5, which is only one month. If they don’t like you and you forget that they’ll write you up. They have silly policies as far as the vault is concerned which makes the soldiers in the waiting room wait for 2 to 3 hours. They also won’t let pharmacists go into the “tech” area and help fill. You are forbidden to get up and be any where near where you could look at the medications, which i though was dumb af. You also have to sign a board if you leave to go to the restroom. Your job is to sit on your chair at your window and just dispense and council on ibuprofen etc. the whole day. Extremely brain numbing to say the least. A job like that, due to saturation is usually in small towns has major cliques, techs telling you what to do, and little to do after work. Those jobs suck. It’s better to get part time or fulltime retail in a city and take classes to get tf out of this field rather than to take a job like that.