Applying for jobs before getting licensed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dzaRX

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had luck obtaining a position before getting licensed? Many applications that I am filling out ask if I have a pharmacist license in which I put no but that would automatically obsolete my application. Any advice? I'm applying left and right and haven't heard back from anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody had luck obtaining a position before getting licensed? Many applications that I am filling out ask if I have a pharmacist license in which I put no but that would automatically obsolete my application. Any advice? I'm applying left and right and haven't heard back from anywhere.

These days...most places are not going to bother with your app if you're not licensed. Wags has a ton of interns that are waiting in line to get licensed and hours. There's no need to look outside....at least in my market area. I'm not saying the sky is dropping hard...but I've never seen it this bad before. The new batch of interns are here and last year's batch still hasn't gotten 40 hours FT yet.

My advice is to just relax....get licensed...and apply. You have your whole life to work.

I'm in the same boat. Fill out the application honestly (like you have been). Some will send an automatic reply saying you don't qualify, but other applications put your information in front of a recruiter. I have had a couple interviews with recruiters. Some recruiters said they would save my information and reach out about positions opening in a couple months. Other recruiters have referred me on.

It feels like a black hole, and I'm only hearing back on about 10-15% of my applications; nevertheless, you can get some traction if you put yourself out there.

Edit: If you are picky about location, you may need to be licensed to get much feedback. The places I've been hearing back from are smaller towns where it is harder to recruit people. (This doesn't mean crummy places to live. Some of the places are resort/tourist towns and are really nice)

Last edited: