Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Applying for kennel position- Pay?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Trilt, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Trilt

Trilt love doc + puppy snuggler extraordinaire
    Veterinarian Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

I would really appreciate a little help.

One of the veterinary clinics in the area is hiring for a kennel position, and I heading over there tomorrow to fill out an application. However, from filling out volunteer forms, I know they generally have a "Pay Requested/Salary" section to fill out. (Though I've obviously written "None!" in them before)

My only job experience is working part time at Taco Bell, so, needless to say, I have no idea what sort of pay to ask for in this situation. Any opinion/suggestions? What have others you've known been paid for kennel work?

(For some frame of reference, I live in NC, where the minimum wage is currently $6.55.)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 237397

Pre-Veterinary
    I live in GA, and I think the kennel crew at the hospital I worked at made $6.50/hr (minimum wage was around $5.75/hr). Kennel kids never really make any money.

I'd put "open" and expect minimum wage... some places will give you periodic raises after you've been working for a certain length of time. It is completely appropriate to ask about this during your interview.

Good luck! Kennel work can suck sometimes, but it's usually pretty fun, and it's a good way to work your way up to a vet tech assistant position.

4. ImaJerseyGirl

ImaJerseyGirl WesternU CVM c/o 2014
    7+ Year Member

Veterinarian

#3 ImaJerseyGirl, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  5. TurtleLover

TurtleLover LSU SVM c/o 2013!!
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I agree with putting "open" for your salary amount. Especially in an economy like this, I would hate for the salary I listed to be the reason I didn't get hired to get the necessary experience.

When I worked in Miami, FL I got $8/hr (minimum wage was around 6 something then). When I worked in Orlando, FL, I got $7.75/hr and minimum wage was $7.21 I think? It really depends on the city and state you live in. Sorry I can't really help for NC.

According to this website: http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm#NorthCarolina

North Caroline minimum wage is currently $6.55 and projected to go to $7.25 on 7/24/2009. So maybe list $7/hr? or $6.75/hr.

6. Optimistic 13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary

#5 Optimistic 13, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  7. BodhiBird

BodhiBird TCSVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    When I was in your situation I listed minimum wage as the salary I wanted. I just wanted the job. I ended up getting paid about a buck more than minimum wage and was able to work my way up to tech position in a relatively short time.

Another tip... blanket your city with resumes and applications. Even if a clinic isn't advertising it is still advantageous to apply for a position, you never know when they are going to need extra help, or lose existing help. Good luck!

8. ckd816

ckd816 Dick Vet c/o 2015
    7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I live in a suburb of Phoenix, AZ and I worked in a kennel for about 10 months... Pay was $8/hour when I was hired and I got a raise to $9/hour at my 6 month review. The minimum wage here was just raised to $7.25, which I believe is the second increase since I was hired in October of 2007.

9. jop21

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I agree with the above posts. When I first started cleaning cages I was paid 6.50/hr. If you continue to work hard, then your will receive raises. Its a tough job,and given the physical nature of the job the pay may seem low. But, you have to start somewhere. Good luck!

10. Trilt

Trilt love doc + puppy snuggler extraordinaire
    Veterinarian Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

I'd actually be more than happy to receive minimum wage- better than the for free volunteering I've been expecting!

Thank you for all the responses to this thread. I am going to take the consensus of advice and simply write 'open.' :) Wish me luck.

(And as far as blanketing the city with my resume- I have the addresses of all clinics within a distance in a file on my computer. However, I currently do not have a car, so I need to do further research on available bus routes before I go shoot papers at them.)

#9 Trilt, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  11. 3dogsand2cats

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I also live in North Carolina (Greenville area). In the past I worked for multiple places doing kennel work and I was paid b/t $6.50-$7.50. I agree with everyone else though write open!

12. KKibo

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    When I started working at the place I do now (in Chatt, TN) the kennel workers started at $8/hr. Pretty high turnover rate though.

13. r00

r00 UF CVM c/o 2017
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I just applied for (and finished my follow up interview/shadow - keep your fingers crossed for me) a kennel position here in orlando. The starting pay is $7.50/hr with a "good chance of a raise" after the probation period of 90 days... which just says to me that they have a decent turnover rate too

14. cms07c

5+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm working as a kennel tech now hoping to sometime in the next 2352 years to actually move up to being an actual tech. I make minimum wage in tallahassee (6.75). But i think after 3 months, I get a .50 raise. I would agree with everyone else, put open, and then after a few months, ask about a raise.