Applying for M.D/D.O after obtaining my MPH--Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uk__med

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm looking for some advice and would be happy to get as much perspective as possible.

I'm currently in the process of applying to my MPH. (program start date: Fall 2020) for my interest in public health. In all honesty, I had falsely juxtaposed medicine with public health in my undergrad and felt that public health suited my needs more, so I ditched my plans to apply for an MPH. However, after talking to some mentors and meeting some MD/MPHs I realized after the fact that it is doable to be successful in both professions and that experience from both degrees can offer a valuable perspective on medicine. Since shadowing & talking to MD/MPHs I want to apply to medical school again after I finish my MPH. I have already applied to my MPH programs and am wondering the following:

+Does where I get my MPH matter when applying to med school? For example, if I get into a good program and make the most out of it (pursue internship/volunteer/shadowing opportunities), do I have a strong chance of getting into med school at that same institution, or one like it? Or is that not taken into account?

+I know a lot of people say that people get an MPH to bolster their application but that's not the case for me. If I have a strong undergrad and graduate record (good GPA and CV for both) and can convey my professional passion for both medicine and public health, will the adcom appreciate that and can it remove bias from my application, will it make me stand out as an applicant?

I understand an MD/MPH program would have saved me time/money/made more sense overall, but I simply didn't know about the option until it was too late. Please offer any advice on my situation!

Also, my MPH will be in Global Health/ International development. I'm interested in women's health (OB/GYN) and infectious disease, if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 2nd year MPH student who has been accepted to medical school. I'll try to answer your questions best I can given my own experiences so far.

1) Where you get your MPH does broadly matter to an extent. A well-known, more established program will carry a little more weight, though it really does come down to your own drive and motivation in pursuing opportunities while there. A good program will also have more resources to support you. However, doing an MPH won't drastically increase your chances of getting into med school at that same institution. This depends a little on the school, as some are more interested than others in accepting students from their school, but I would say overall its not a major consideration.

2) I also have a fairly strong undergrad/grad record, and adcom have yet to hold my MPH against me or as a negative. As long as you can convincingly and eloquently explain why public health is an essential component of your interests in medicine, it will make you stand out in the same way any other experience or activity will. (I consider my MPH to be an extracurricular of sorts)

Now that I'm almost done with my MPH (and have taken classes with med students in the MD/MPH program), I'm glad I chose to do my MPH first. Time/money wise it does take more, but in terms of knowledge and experience, I feel that the perspective offered through public health will greatly benefit me in medical school. My MPH has been an absolutely incredible experience for my professional development.

Please let me know if you want me to elaborate or if you have any other questions!

1) Does where I get my MPH matter when applying to med school? For example, if I get into a good program and make the most out of it (pursue internship/volunteer/shadowing opportunities), do I have a strong chance of getting into med school at that same institution, or one like it? Or is that not taken into account?

2) I know a lot of people say that people get an MPH to bolster their application but that's not the case for me.

3) If I have a strong undergrad and graduate record (good GPA and CV for both) and can convey my professional passion for both medicine and public health, will the adcom appreciate that and can it remove bias from my application, will it make me stand out as an applicant?

1) No

2) Those people are wrong. Or, at least, the MPH GPA will not help for MD, will will be counted for DO.

3 No. You convey your passion for Medicine and public health by deeds, not words.

Reactions: 1 user
I had my MPH before applying! Bit of a different situation since my MPH is from abroad, but still. Goro is right that the GPA doesn't really matter here for bolstering any stats. But I disagree that the MPH doesn't help at all. I heard that a lot while preparing to apply and was bummed. But honestly, through my program I did significant research and learned a lot about health systems. Having the MPH degree itself may not be what bolsters your app, but the experiences and learnings you gain through the program is what gives you more to talk about in secondaries and interviews. I think my degree did help me throughout the application process.

Reactions: 1 user