Applying for Retail Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharm00123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,
Just wondering how easy it is to apply for retail jobs after you graduate from pharm school? I am currently a P3 and I know for sure that I want to go into retail, but Im not sure what the application process is like... I am kind of nervous that I wont get a retail job, just because of demand and things like that. Is it hard to get a retail job after graduation, or do most companies accept you (Even if it is for a floater position?)
Thanks in advance!
 
Hello Everyone,
Just wondering how easy it is to apply for retail jobs after you graduate from pharm school? I am currently a P3 and I know for sure that I want to go into retail, but Im not sure what the application process is like... I am kind of nervous that I wont get a retail job, just because of demand and things like that. Is it hard to get a retail job after graduation, or do most companies accept you (Even if it is for a floater position?)
Thanks in advance!

Increasingly tough, especially if you don't intern anywhere.
 
Ideally you should be working as an Intern right now, gaining experience, making connections and building a network with other Pharmacists along with your District Supervisor. Retail is getting tighter and tighter and those first in line for job offers post graduation are the ones that have been an Intern with [insert company], have a good reputation and are known by the district superivor. Of the 12 or so new grads that were hired on in the 2 districts in my area, all but 1 were previous Interns with experience.

With that said, it's not impossible, obviously, and it does vary from company to company. But overall, retail can be very demanding and high paced and the ideal candidate is one who has experience/knowledge and can make a smooth transition into the Pharmacist role with minimal training and effort needed. If you have any interest in working retail come graduation, do whatever you have to do to get an intern position now.