Applying late in cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MB333999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

i am a Canadian going into my third year of my BMSc degree (bachelor of medical science) but i am thinking of applying to American schools this coming cycle. Only thing is im writing my MCAT on aug 6th, i;ve been reading everywhere that its KEY KEY KEY to apply early to maximize your chances.
My cGPA = 3.85 and my sGPA is something like 3.81

I was wondering how much of a disadvantage i would be at? I know it depends on how i score my MCAT (i think a 33 would be a safe bet)

Do you think its worth for me applying or do you think i should just wait for the next cycle?

Also, because of my pre-med paranoia (sp?) that im sure u;ve all felt at some point i tried to find as many schools that are non rolling admissions. So far i only know Harvard...lol... does anyone know any others or have a list?

Thank you all for your help, its much appreciated =)

Members don't see this ad.

I took the MCAT on august 4th last year and scored a 33Q. I applied to ten schools and was accepted at two and waitlisted at two so it definitely can done. I'm not certain though how ur "Canadian-ness" will effect your app to U.S schools. :p

As for the second question I'm not so sure.. The only thing I know to tell you is to call all schools you may be interested in and ask about their admissions. I wouldn't limit yourself though. Both schools I was accepted to had rolling admissions. Best of luck to ya!

Hey everyone,
Do you think its worth for me applying or do you think i should just wait for the next cycle?

My two cents: wait for the next cycle. August is LATE. It's possible that you would get in, but it would be kind of a rush-job, and you'd have the whole weight of rolling admissions (which are by far the most common, Harvard notwithstanding) working against you.

If you're considering taking another year, that is only going to strengthen your application. Obviously, if you're dead-set on going this year, then you can try to apply, but recognize that you'll be stronger (and on the early end of things) next year - which are huge advantages.

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume you have already considered and made allowances for the fact that getting into a U.S. medical school without permanent legal residency in this country is rather challenging... nor are you eligible for Federally-guaranteed loans unless you have permanent resident status in this country (with a few exceptions for certain refugees which would not apply to a Canadian national).

Last edited:
hm i was really hoping to apply this year, perhaps i will wait for the next cycle... unless i kill the MCAT (38+) then applying may be worth it especially for the non rolling admission schools. does that sound like a good way to decide? because i;ve also been reading that applying late affects you more if you have avg stats more or less but if you have good numbers then its not as bad and from what i;ve seen I think if i land a solid mcat my chances would be pretty good no?

Thanks for your input guys =)