Applying late in the cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1130657

Hello! I originally planned on going to medical school but decided on dental after undergoing extensive dental work and being inspired by my dentist last year. This set me back as I planned on taking the MCAT this past summer but changed my plans. I don’t think I have time to study enough for the DAT to get a 21+ by the time applications open and I’m relatively new to dentistry so not ~tons~ of dental experience. I think I’m a competitive applicant but I feel like I have a bit of a time crunch! I plan on studying for the DAT this summer and taking it in late July. I would apply in August. My stats:
  • GPA: 4.0 , graduating summa cum laude w/ B.S. in Biomedical Sciences
  • Have not taken the DAT hoping for a 24+
  • 1500+ *medical* clinical hours working for a orthopedic surgeon for 2 years
  • ~100 dental shadowing hours and working as a sterilization tech (general dent, perio, peds, OMS)
  • Will be working as a dental assistant this summer (peds)!
  • 100+ volunteer hours - various things - mostly coaching soccer
  • Strong LORs from 2 profs, orthopedic surgeon, and general dentist
  • And an interesting story to tell about some really bad dental problems of my own (underwent a 6 hr procedure last year) and how my dentist inspired me
Would it be worth it to apply late in the cycle? I understand this decreases my chances because of rolling admissions… but I don’t really want to take two years off. I would like to go to CU, Creighton, or U of Utah ideally (close by). Midwestern in AZ would be good too. I will go pretty much anywhere and plan on applying for and hopefully getting a military scholarship so price won’t influence my choice UNLESS the military doesn’t work out.. then I will go to the cheapest possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I originally planned on going to medical school but decided on dental after undergoing extensive dental work and being inspired by my dentist last year. This set me back as I planned on taking the MCAT this past summer but changed my plans. I don’t think I have time to study enough for the DAT to get a 21+ by the time applications open and I’m relatively new to dentistry so not ~tons~ of dental experience. I think I’m a competitive applicant but I feel like I have a bit of a time crunch! I plan on studying for the DAT this summer and taking it in late July. I would apply in August. My stats:
  • ~100 dental shadowing hours and working as a sterilization tech (general dent, perio, peds, OMS)
  • And an interesting story to tell about some really bad dental problems of my own (underwent a 6 hr procedure last year) and how my dentist inspired me
Would it be worth it to apply late in the cycle? I understand this decreases my chances because of rolling admissions… but I don’t really want to take two years off. I would like to go to CU, Creighton, or U of Utah ideally (close by). Midwestern in AZ would be good too. I will go pretty much anywhere and plan on applying for and hopefully getting a military scholarship so price won’t influence my choice UNLESS the military doesn’t work out.. then I will go to the cheapest possible.
why do you think august is late?
why do you think you need to get a 21+ by the time applications open?
why do you "think" you are a competitive applicant?
why are you "hoping" for a 24+?
do you know how difficult it is to get a 24+?

August is a little late. I applied in august and didn’t get in the first time I applied, however if you apply early and take your dat when you’re ready you should be fine. Just apply early despite not taking the DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
why do you think august is late?
why do you think you need to get a 21+ by the time applications open?
why do you "think" you are a competitive applicant?
why are you "hoping" for a 24+?
do you know how difficult it is to get a 24+?
I think it’s possible to get score 24+ considering they have a 4.0 gpa. Just study hard for the DAT like you did in undergrad. It’s not unattainable.

I think it’s possible to get score 24+ considering they have a 4.0 gpa. Just study hard for the DAT like you did in undergrad. It’s not unattainable.
please show me where i said it was impossible or unattainable...

please show me where i said it was impossible or unattainable...
Lol chill. You said do you know how hard a 24+ is. I'm sure they do. For someone who has a 4.0, I don’t think they need a reminder.

Lol chill. You said do you know how hard a 24+ is. I'm sure they do. For someone who has a 4.0, I don’t think they need a reminder.
i am chill

Study hard and get 24! Nothing is impossible. Everything else including your EA seems fantastic. Regarding the app submission, Late July/August is not late at all. Some schools even start to go over the applications late August or early September. For some of the schools, you might not be getting august/september interviews, but you will recieve some around October/November, which is perfectly fine.