Applying Late to Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrownEyedGirl94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends.
So. I just submitted my applications to Western, SCCO, NECO, AZCOPT, MCPHS, and PCO last night. I'm incredibly anxious on account of I know most schools have rolling admissions and it is pretty late in the cycle. I will graduate from a UC this spring, so I'm hoping I will get in and not have to take a year off. I am looking for honest opinions. Do you think I have a shot at getting in to any of these schools at this point in the cycle?

Stats:
GPA: 3.49
OAT: 310 AA, 310 TS (I know :/ )
2 & 1/2 years retail experience, 16 months of working as an optometric tech for four different optometrists (all at one practice)

Members don't see this ad.

It is later in the cycle but you should be able to get interviews with most schools. I'm sure most schools still have seats open but you will be competing for those seats with more people.

It is later in the cycle but you should be able to get interviews with most schools. I'm sure most schools still have seats open but you will be competing for those seats with more people.
Okay thanks hopefully! Have you already applied?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I applied early and was accepted to Nova and Azcopt. Will be going to azcopt.

I also applied almost the exact same time that you did! I applied to Pacific, Midwestern, and Houston. Haven't heard anything yet but hoping to in the next week or two! I would think your stats are good enough to hopefully get you a shot at an interview. But I'm in the same boat as you; pretty anxious because I applied so late! Good luck!

RollLogs17, there's hope! I've heard back from PCO, AZCOPT, and SCCO so far! :) Good luck!!

I also applied almost the exact same time that you did! I applied to Pacific, Midwestern, and Houston. Haven't heard anything yet but hoping to in the next week or two! I would think your stats are good enough to hopefully get you a shot at an interview. But I'm in the same boat as you; pretty anxious because I applied so late! Good luck!

Houston might take awhile. My app verified back in November and I have yet to hear from them

Reactions: 1 user
Houston might take awhile. My app verified back in November and I have yet to hear from them
Jeeze! Well as of right now, AZCOPT is my first choice. Houston is more of a backup but it would be nice to have options still.

I just had my interview with PCO on Monday. All of my other interviews are in March. The PCO interview was very relaxed and conversational like everyone on SDN has said! One-on-one, open file. I was not prepared for some of the questions, but I was able to easily come up with answers for those ones.

Thank you! Have you visited any of the schools yet? If so, what did you think?
I just visited PCO on Monday. The clinic was pretty impressive and the buildings and facilities were nice! The only thing I didn't like was that if you drive more than five minutes away from campus, the area is very ghetto...

Please update after your interview with SCCO! Best of luck!:)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hi! So basically, I fell in love with SCCO. The campus and the clinic are beautiful and I liked it way more than PCO. The faculty were all so nice. Before you interview, you meet with Dr. Monroe and the Director of Admissions. The interview is very laid back and they asked all of the questions I thought I would get asked! But they don't ask very many questions, so you have to be sure to elaborate each answer. If you have any specific questions, let me know!

Hi! So basically, I fell in love with SCCO. The campus and the clinic are beautiful and I liked it way more than PCO. The faculty were all so nice. Before you interview, you meet with Dr. Monroe and the Director of Admissions. The interview is very laid back and they asked all of the questions I thought I would get asked! But they don't ask very many questions, so you have to be sure to elaborate each answer. If you have any specific questions, let me know!

Hi! Where did you end up choosing? I'll be applying in a few months so any tips on how to conquer the OAT would be appreciated!!:") thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So update! I got interviews at every school I applied to, but I only went to interviews at PCO, SCCO (as you know), and WUCO. I got in to all three and ended up choosing WUCO!

So as far as the OAT goes, I got a 310. So I didn't do exceptionally, but I did good enough. I used the three weeks of Christmas break that I had during my senior year to study. Since I was still in school, a lot of information was fresh in my head. I didn't study for the Biology section because that was my major, and I still got a 350. Honestly for that part, don't stress, just rely on what you know and brush up on big concepts (like genetics!). I have the big Kaplan book, so I read through that, and I also used Chad's videos. I would watch his videos, take notes, then take his quizzes after. After that I would go on Defeat the DAT and I took all of the quizzes there. I really hope you have more than three weeks to study because I was so stressed out during that time that I was barely sleeping. Good luck!

So update! I got interviews at every school I applied to, but I only went to interviews at PCO, SCCO (as you know), and WUCO. I got in to all three and ended up choosing WUCO!

So as far as the OAT goes, I got a 310. So I didn't do exceptionally, but I did good enough. I used the three weeks of Christmas break that I had during my senior year to study. Since I was still in school, a lot of information was fresh in my head. I didn't study for the Biology section because that was my major, and I still got a 350. Honestly for that part, don't stress, just rely on what you know and brush up on big concepts (like genetics!). I have the big Kaplan book, so I read through that, and I also used Chad's videos. I would watch his videos, take notes, then take his quizzes after. After that I would go on Defeat the DAT and I took all of the quizzes there. I really hope you have more than three weeks to study because I was so stressed out during that time that I was barely sleeping. Good luck!
Congrats!!!

Assistant dean
https://optometry.az.gov/sites/default/files/Final Minutes, 6-20-14.pdf