Applying late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookitsme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a late spark of interest in optometry within this year. I'm currently doing a master in infectious diseases and will finish in May but I know research isn't for me. I'll be applying this November for the 2016 cycle, is this too late?
My undergrad GPA is a 3.3 and my master GPA is 4.0. I'm taking my OAT in a month (hopefully average scores?). Where I am lacking is experience (I will try to get around 60 hours of shadowing and ~30 hours of volunteering at an eye clinic). I don't know what my chances are since I'll be applying late. Do you guys have any comments/suggestions to improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I called a bunch of optom schools with the same question and they said November is fine, anytime after January is considered late! They also recommended to hand in the application without taking the OAT (since I'd been waiting to do that) and they'll just wait to get the OAT scores when you've written it. Your GPA is competitive so I'd suggest apply right now and hand in your scores later they'll def wait for them.

You are perfectly fine. Just don't procrastinate any further.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say definitely do lots of shadowing first - you said you had a spark of interest, but without shadowing, how can you know whether you really want to be an optometrist or not? It's better to find out now whether optometry is right for you, as opposed to several months later, after you've spent lots of money and effort on applying.

Thank you for your replies. I am currently doing lots of shadowing in different settings and I'm positive that this is a right career for me. I'm also wondering if having a master degree will give me an edge on the application? I only know that some schools average your graduate and undergraduate GPA.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. I am currently doing lots of shadowing in different settings and I'm positive that this is a right career for me. I'm also wondering if having a master degree will give me an edge on the application? I only know that some schools average your graduate and graduate GPA.

I have a feeling it does. I'm working on my MS-Molecular Biology right now as I work full-time too. I think being a non-traditional applicant will give you a slight edge :) Goodluck!

I have a feeling it does. I'm working on my MS-Molecular Biology right now as I work full-time too. I think being a non-traditional applicant will give you a slight edge :) Goodluck!
Thanks, I hope you make it too. Goodluck!! :)

Reactions: 1 user