Applying MD this late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeknicksjets1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I applied to a bunch of DO schools earlier in the cycle but now I'm thinking I should've also applied MD, and people in my family are pressuring me into applying MD at this point even though it's extremely late in the cycle.

With my stats (3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 511 MCAT, ORM, lots of shadowing, clinical research, clinical volunteering, campus extracurriculars), is there any chance of getting an interview if I apply now? Only thinking of applying to low-tier in state schools if I do apply.

Has anyone gotten in somewhere applying really late in the cycle? Any insight is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I applied to a bunch of DO schools earlier in the cycle but now I'm thinking I should've also applied MD, and people in my family are pressuring me into applying MD at this point even though it's extremely late in the cycle.

With my stats (3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 511 MCAT, ORM, lots of shadowing, clinical research, clinical volunteering, campus extracurriculars), is there any chance of getting an interview if I apply now? Only thinking of applying to low-tier in state schools if I do apply.

Has anyone gotten in somewhere applying really late in the cycle? Any insight is appreciated!!
What state?
And what are your year-by-year GPAs?
Do you have any math As that would raise your sGPA when it's calculated as a BCPM GPA for AMCAS? Or any Cs or lower that would bring it down?
Do you have nonmedical community service, and if so, how many hours?

Reactions: 1 user
I am always against unplanned application attempts, being this late doesn't help
The poster already has a polished Personal Statement and has LORs lined up (that hopefully don't specify DO schools as the target) from the DO application efforts. The Activities would need some minor tweaks, of course. Depending on the target schools, and whether there is a match between mission and application, a later application might be reasonable. Some small MD schools with a target area or schools with a focused mission don't get started until later than the typical cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Unless you have a strong rising GPA trend, you stats are too weak for MD schools. To shut your family up, apply to your state MD school.

If that doesn't work, grow a spine and tell them that you're the one applying, not them. The schools don't need the donations either.

What state?
And what are your year-by-year GPAs?
Do you have any math As that would raise your sGPA when it's calculated as a BCPM GPA for AMCAS? Or any Cs or lower that would bring it down?
Do you have nonmedical community service, and if so, how many hours?

NY state, 2.96 first year, 3.6 second, and 3.65 third so upward trend.
1 Math class, got an A, and no nonmedical community service but I have a summer (so like around 400 hours) of nonmedical volunteering at a camp.

Last edited:
Unless you have a strong rising GPA trend, you stats are too weak for MD schools. To shut your family up, apply to your state MD school.

If that doesn't work, grow a spine and tell them that you're the one applying, not them. The schools don't need the donations either.

Thanks for the reply, not too strong but started from a 2.96 GPA and had 3.6+ the last 4 semesters. But yeah you're right. Just wanted to know if it would be a complete waste of time and money or if there is some hope.

NY state, 2.96 first year, 3.6 second, and 3.65 third so upward trend.
1 Math class, got an A, and no nonmedical community service but I have a summer (so like around 400 hours) of nonmedical volunteering at a camp.
Considering your home state and lack of demonstrated consistent commitment to the service of others, I can't be encouraging. Of course, I don't know your entire application, so I couldn't say there's "No hope."

@gonnif is a New Yawker and might have other insights.

Reactions: 1 users
Considering your home state and lack of demonstrated consistent commitment to the service of others, I can't be encouraging. Of course, I don't know your entire application, so I couldn't say there's "No hope."

@gonnif is a New Yawker and might have other insights.

Thank you! Does a lack of non-medical community service really look that bad on an application (either DO or MD)? I have way more medical volunteering hours and I feel like my stats describe the gist of my application, but your response kind of indicates the fact that there doesn't seem to be any hope without a lot of community service.

Does a lack of non-medical community service really look that bad on an application (either DO or MD)? I have way more medical volunteering hours and I feel like my stats describe the gist of my application, but your response kind of indicates the fact that there doesn't seem to be any hope without a lot of community service.
At some schools, strong medical volunteerism compensates for a lack of nonmedical community service. Others with a strong mission to serve certain populations have lower acceptee stats because certain life experiences, or demonstrated nonmedical community service in line with their mission is more important to them. Other altruistic service that is paid can compensate as well, like military, Peace Corps, City Year, Americorps.