Applying only DO and in-state MD only this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamaica jan sun princess

Future Pediatric Cardio-Oncologist Neurosurgeon
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just completed a 3 semester post-bacc (May 2018 to May 2019) and am currently studying for my July 13th MCAT. I realize this is late for MD applications but not so much for DO. Both of the MD programs in my state are heavily biased to in-state applicants so I will apply to them as soon as I get my MCAT score back in mid-August. My goal is to become a primary care physician and practice in my very undeserved state. I don't have any real interest in surgical specialties, but am switching from the financial services sector solely to become a primary care physician. I have just over 150 hours each of clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and have shadowed three primary care physicians. My state also has two DO schools and my GPA is above their averages. I would apply fairly broadly to DO schools.

3.61 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA.

My post-bacc GPA is 4.0, and I took:

Chemistry I & II
Biology I & II
Physics I & II
Organic Chemistry I & II
Biochemistry

Does it make sense to apply DO and in-state MD only this cycle if I'm gunning for primary care?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on your MCAT score as long as you hit 505 then you re good for DO schools.
Your EC is weak for MD.
Keep adding more volunteer hours clinical and non clinical.

Reactions: 1 users
Post your MCAT score here when available in August. As long as your score is at least 500 you are competitive for the majority of DO schools. The majority of DO graduates go into primary care.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your MCAT score as long as you hit 505 then you re good for DO schools.
Your EC is weak for MD.
Keep adding more volunteer hours clinical and non clinical.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I actually have some basic chemistry research I forgot to mention, but it just resulted in a poster. I also worked during undergrad and part of the post-bacc, which is why my ECs are so sparse.

Post your MCAT score here when available in August. As long as your score is at least 500 you are competitive for the majority of DO schools. The majority of DO graduates go into primary care.

Will do, thanks! The DO schools in my state have average MCAT scores of 500 and 501.

I just completed a 3 semester post-bacc (May 2018 to May 2019) and am currently studying for my July 13th MCAT. I realize this is late for MD applications but not so much for DO. Both of the MD programs in my state are heavily biased to in-state applicants so I will apply to them as soon as I get my MCAT score back in mid-August. My goal is to become a primary care physician and practice in my very undeserved state. I don't have any real interest in surgical specialties, but am switching from the financial services sector solely to become a primary care physician. I have just over 150 hours each of clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and have shadowed three primary care physicians. My state also has two DO schools and my GPA is above their averages. I would apply fairly broadly to DO schools.

3.61 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA.

My post-bacc GPA is 4.0, and I took:

Chemistry I & II
Biology I & II
Physics I & II
Organic Chemistry I & II
Biochemistry

Does it make sense to apply DO and in-state MD only this cycle if I'm gunning for primary care?
This is impossible to answer without an MCAT score, but 7/13 is NOT late for MD.

If you're going for PC, then just apply to a mass of DO schools, instead of having to do 2 diff apps and cut costs between the 2.
Your MCAT must be above 500 to be competitive.

Another thing, DO schools like EC's and non-trad students more than even MD I'd say so make sure you have that sorted out.
Also, a DO letter goes a long way and may sometimes even be required.

My question is- are any of the primary care docs you shadowed a DO? When I applied, albeit some time ago, some schools required DO shadowing if not a LOR from a DO.

Study your ass off for the MCAT.

Good luck!

Internal Med FTW

This is impossible to answer without an MCAT score, but 7/13 is NOT late for MD.

Gotcha, I must have gotten caught up in all the "must submit day one" neuroticism.

If you're going for PC, then just apply to a mass of DO schools, instead of having to do 2 diff apps and cut costs between the 2.
Your MCAT must be above 500 to be competitive.

Another thing, DO schools like EC's and non-trad students more than even MD I'd say so make sure you have that sorted out.
Also, a DO letter goes a long way and may sometimes even be required.

My MD list will definitely be short. If my MCAT is above the state schools' medians, I'll throw in applications because they're so much cheaper than DO.

My question is- are any of the primary care docs you shadowed a DO? When I applied, albeit some time ago, some schools required DO shadowing if not a LOR from a DO.

Study your ass off for the MCAT.

Good luck!

Not, yet but I'm shadowing a Family Medicine DO this or next week. VCOM(my top choice because I went to undergrad nearby) requires a DO letter if you get accepted.

Thanks!

Gotcha, I must have gotten caught up in all the "must submit day one" neuroticism.

My MD list will definitely be short. If my MCAT is above the state schools' medians, I'll throw in applications because they're so much cheaper than DO.

Not, yet but I'm shadowing a Family Medicine DO this or next week. VCOM(my top choice because I went to undergrad nearby) requires a DO letter if you get accepted.

Thanks!
Current VCOM-Carolinas, soon to be OMS2. PM me for questions.
Cheers!