Applying this cycle but taking Orgo 1 during the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayani12

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Hope you all are doing well. I had a quick question, I am applying this cycle and am taking Orgo 1 this upcoming summer. Would this be an issue for dental school? I can send updated coursework as soon as the semester ends (Around July) but would it be an issue for them to consider me?

Please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It might be. It depends where you are applying. Orgo 1 and 2 plus lab are requirements for all schools, I believe. Some schools require that all prerequisites are complete before applying. I suggest you check with the schools that you plan on applying to. Have you taken the DAT yet? Orgo 1 and 2 material is fair game for that exam just FYI.

It depends how many of the prerequisites you have already completed. How many prereqs do you need to take yet? And do you plan on taking the DAT without taking Organic?

Members don't see this ad :)
To get a good grade on the orgo section in the DAT, you need a good background in Orgo 1 and 2.

Have you taken the DAT? I am on the side that says you don't really need an in-depth knowledge of organic I or II to do really well on the DAT's organic section. There is nothing that complex that appears on the test that you really need two lectures worth of understanding to really be competitive

That being said, Orgo I and II are major weed-out classes and really separates top academic performers from average academic performers. Just go ahead and apply anyway, and make sure you update schools as soon as possible after you complete it.

Have you taken the DAT? I am on the side that says you don't really need an in-depth knowledge of organic I or II to do really well on the DAT's organic section. There is nothing that complex that appears on the test that you really need two lectures worth of understanding to really be competitive

That being said, Orgo I and II are major weed-out classes and really separates top academic performers from average academic performers. Just go ahead and apply anyway, and make sure you update schools as soon as possible after you complete it.

Have you tested your theory in person though, what I mean is: did you take the DAT then took Orgo 1 and 2?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!
Hope you all are doing well. I had a quick question, I am applying this cycle and am taking Orgo 1 this upcoming summer. Would this be an issue for dental school? I can send updated coursework as soon as the semester ends (Around July) but would it be an issue for them to consider me?

Please let me know!

I’m also doing that! But I’m taking both Orgo 1&2 plus labs in the summer. And yeah the semester for me will end around the end of July. I was planning on taking the DAT mid-July so I would have all of Orgo 1 and about half of Orgo 2 learned. I also want to apply this cycle BTW.

Do you know when you’ll be taking your DAT? Also, how are you studying? Haha, I need some tips.

And for most schools, I think you just have to complete the pre-reqs before matriculation. So, it’s okay to apply without some of them done — but make sure you check on the website of each school you want to apply to.

I’m also doing that! But I’m taking both Orgo 1&2 plus labs in the summer. And yeah the semester for me will end around the end of July. I was planning on taking the DAT mid-July so I would have all of Orgo 1 and about half of Orgo 2 learned. I also want to apply this cycle BTW.

Do you know when you’ll be taking your DAT? Also, how are you studying? Haha, I need some tips.

And for most schools, I think you just have to complete the pre-reqs before matriculation. So, it’s okay to apply without some of them done — but make sure you check on the website of each school you want to apply to.

Read here for some tips from people who got at least 22: Compilation - DAT Breakdown Collection! 2017-Present

Also for prerequisites, usually 9/12 need to be completed.- this might be different for your specific school. I even heard of a school that want you to see what an applicant gets on anatomy before they send an invite, so there may be that too.