Applying this cycle, July 17 MCAT, when to submit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnchorDown3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm taking the MCAT in July and applying this cycle no matter what. As of right now, I've narrowed my options down to two.

1. Submit my primary to AMCAS on June 2nd or shortly after with only one school listed so that I can get my app verification out of the way. Then, after I take the MCAT I list the rest of the schools I want to apply to, so that I will have more free time to complete secondaries, and they will not conflict with my MCAT studying.

2. Submit my primary to AMCAS late June/early July with all schools listed in order to line up MCAT grading and app verification. My train of thought here is that schools will receive a completed app as opposed to an incomplete app sitting on their desks for a month waiting for my MCAT score. Additionally, I won't have to worry about completing secondaries while I study for the MCAT.

I realize neither option is ideal, but for the situation I'm in, what do you guys recommend? I'm open to alternative options as well.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would do option 1 and then pre write secondaries after the MCAT (between taking the test and getting your score back).

I like #2 more since your app won't be complete until ~August 17th. I think you should be working on secondaries after the MCAT. You need to devote all your time available to the MCAT. Plus, sending in a quality primary application is very important. If you have any doubts on your PS or need to polish up on your activity descriptions then you should fix that before rushing to submit on June 2nd. I don't think you need to push it to late june but perhaps mid-june. I don't think an incomplete app sits on any desk. It's all electronic so once everything is marked as complete then it probably goes to someone's desk or someone's computer for review.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like #2 more since your app won't be complete until ~August 17th. I think you should be working on secondaries after the MCAT. You need to devote all your time available to the MCAT. Plus, sending in a quality primary application is very important. If you have any doubts on your PS or need to polish up on your activity descriptions then you should fix that before rushing to submit on June 2nd. I don't think you need to push it to late june but perhaps mid-june. I don't think an incomplete app sits on any desk. It's all electronic so once everything is marked as complete then it probably goes to someone's desk or someone's computer for review.

That's what I'm leaning towards, as well. Assuming I have a complete app by ~August 17, do you think that would considered "late" for most schools? Or is it still "average"?

That's what I'm leaning towards, as well. Assuming I have a complete app by ~August 17, do you think that would considered "late" for most schools? Or is it still "average"?

Being complete in August is about average although Aug. 17 is creeping pretty closely to September, which is considered late. About 1.5 months will have gone by since schools started reviewing apps. Interviews would have already been given out since Late July/Early August. Ace the MCAT and you'll be fine with an Aug. completion assuming the rest of your app is solid.

How would he/she be complete on August 17th if some schools won't send out secondaries until MCAT scores come out (they come out on August 18th)? Asking because I am in a similar situation (choosing between June and July).

If in fact it is true that some schools wait until MCAT scores are out to send secondaries, then we won't be complete until early September, right? :/

sending a "quality primary application" is irrelevant because your application will not be considered complete, and therefore will not be reviewed, until your MCAT score is in. submit to a throwaway school on the first day and pre-write secondaries after you take the MCAT. of course, the list of schools you do ultimately apply to will vary based on how well you do on the test

sending a "quality primary application" is irrelevant because your application will not be considered complete, and therefore will not be reviewed, until your MCAT score is in. submit to a throwaway school on the first day and pre-write secondaries after you take the MCAT. of course, the list of schools you do ultimately apply to will vary based on how well you do on the test

"Pre-write secondaries" I've heard this phrase used before, but what exactly does it mean? I won't know what questions each secondary is going to ask, so how do I pre-write?

look at the school-specific threads for the 2014-15 cycle. most schools recycle their essay questions