Applying this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OoShimmeroO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI, my GPA is 3.07 and I'm planning on applying to cali pharm schools this summer. I'm planning on submitting my applications in late JUNE or early JULY, but I'm afraid that the over achievers with high GPAs will also apply early. If you apply earliear does that mean you get rejection letters sooner and is it more competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

OoShimmeroO said:
HI, my GPA is 3.07 and I'm planning on applying to cali pharm schools this summer. I'm planning on submitting my applications in late JUNE or early JULY, but I'm afraid that the over achievers with high GPAs will also apply early. If you apply earliear does that mean you get rejection letters sooner and is it more competitive?

For a school with early acceptance or rolling admissions, your best bet is to apply as soon as you possibly can, regardless of who else you think is applying concurrently. The sooner your application and supplemental materials are in, the better your chances are of being accepted. I'd rather have my application there early with twenty >3.5 GPA/99 PCAT applicants versus 1000 total applicants in the end. (By the way, I'm just throwing in numbers there...heh). But, I hope you get the point, and I hope this helps! :)

I'm trying to apply asap too, but the problem is that i'm taking some classes in the summer. Will I be able to submit those summer classes' grades later?

Members don't see this ad :)
goheel said:
I'm trying to apply asap too, but the problem is that i'm taking some classes in the summer. Will I be able to submit those summer classes' grades later?

Yes. And your fall and spring grades for this coming year, if you are still taking classes. Everything you need to know can be found at www.pharmcas.org :)

goheel, you'll be able to submit the grades for those summer classes after you apply. There is a section in the application that allows you to list the classes that you are planning to take as well as classes that you have already completed. So, it shouldn't be a problem. When you complete those planned courses, you can send the grades in to the schools or to PharmCAS, whichever applies to you.

Can we apply before we have completed our PCAT or should we wait until that is completed? I plan on taking it in October.

No go ahead and apply. The sooner the better. They can start looking at you application and get a general idea. Whenever you take the pcat you usually send the schools you are applying to a score and pharmcas, so they will eventually get it. Plus if you take it in Oct. and wait till you get your score to submit then it will probably be Dec. before they get your app. Pharmcas will update your tests section once they recieve the score, as for taking classes you just put the classes you are currently taking and the classes you plan to take in one section and then pharmcas e-mails you with a date when you can access your submitted app. and update it. good luck

I am applying this summer too, right now I am still trying to get my letters of recommedation together; I might be taking philosophy this summer, but I am still thinking about it my brain is so tired; I will have 4 more classes to take before I am done with all my pre-pharmacy requirements ... woah
I have a long way to go.

jemc2000 said:
Can we apply before we have completed our PCAT or should we wait until that is completed? I plan on taking it in October.

I submitted my app in September, and took the October PCAT this year. I received an interview invitation at the beginning of November, before the school saw my scores. Like scuba said, the PCAT is only one part of your entire package. If they like you, they'll put your file on hold and make a final decision after your scores are received. Apply as soon as you are ready. :luck:

sarahjth said:
So even if I have another year to complete in pre-pharmacy, no PCAT, etc. I can still apply! :idea:
Yes, and do it as early as possible! You are smart to think about it now. I know a lot of people who struggled to get their apps. in on time in February! I had 5 classes to finish when I applied, and I was accepted before they had grades for those 5 classes - all of them science!

sarahjth said:
even with a miserable 2.75 GPA?
I would go ahead and apply at the end of summer (due date last year was Sept. 1 for early admissions). If you don't get accepted in the early cycle your application will be updated with new grades from summer and fall as they come available.

A 2.75 isn't great (seems like most schools are averaging something in the neighborhood of 3.0-3.5) but if you have other things in your application that ad coms will like, you may get an interview. Do you have a BS? Do you have volunteer time? Do you have experience? Do you have a family member in Pharmacy? Do you know anyone at the school who can get you in? :D

I don't want to deter you, but unfortunately, your GPA may weed you out initially and they won't even have the opportunity to see what a great pharmacist you will make! So a big thing on your list for this summer may be to take as many hours as possible to increase your gpa - and apply right when those classes are done. Good luck! :luck:

sarahjth said:
In the fall and spring, I attend a university.. and this summer, I am living at home and attending several community colleges. I know these classes will not be accumulated into my GPA.. (or will they by pharmacy schools) Any advice?

As for the volunteering, I spend many hours helping a volunteering ambulance and have worked as a certified pharmacist tech.. since I was 16.. So let's hope.. that will be a "plus". :( Unfortunely, all of the classes I decided to take that I originally thought would have a good affect.. ended up ruining me! So if they look at my science scores, I am doing well. :scared: As for the BS, did I mention this is my first year? I am trying to get done in 2 years... :eek: But it looks dimmer every day and I become more stressed out.

PharmCAS will average everything into your GPA. Each individual school is different - some look at everything, some look at only specific courses more than others, and some do grade forgiveness if you retake a class in which you made a C or lower (again, that policy varies, too). Are the schools you are attending this summer accredited?

My personal advice is take only what you can handle, especially in the summer. You don't want to overburden yourself and not be able to make an A or B in everything. :)

sarahjth said:
As for the BS, did I mention this is my first year? I am trying to get done in 2 years... :eek: But it looks dimmer every day and I become more stressed out.

It's not impossible to get into pharmacy school without a BS. In fact, many students do get in with taking only the prereq's or a few classes more. However, with the increasing competition, schools look more favorably upon those that are near completing a bachelors or have completed one.

About doing it in only two years, I'd be willing to bet that most people who are in pharmacy school had more than two years of undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
sarahjth said:
As for the volunteering, I spend many hours helping a volunteering ambulance and have worked as a certified pharmacist tech.. since I was 16.. So let's hope.. that will be a "plus". :( Unfortunely, all of the classes I decided to take that I originally thought would have a good affect.. ended up ruining me! So if they look at my science scores, I am doing well. :scared: As for the BS, did I mention this is my first year? I am trying to get done in 2 years... :eek: But it looks dimmer every day and I become more stressed out.

It sounds like you've barely completed even some of the pre-reqs and you haven't taken the PCAT yet. With this in mind, how do you think the adcom will be able to competitively compare you to those that have? I would recommend that you quit volunteering until you can bring your GPA up to the average accepted GPA (3.0-3.5). GPA is weighted much more heavily than extracurricular work. Also, I would not expect to be accepted with only two years of coursework with that GPA. You will have been exposed to much less than your competition, on top of the fact that you averaged C's in the classes you did take.

A competitive applicant is one who has above the minimum requirements. Pharmacy school is competitive and I think you should focus more time on getting better grades than trying to get it done with as soon as possible.

I don't mean to rain on your parade. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. :thumbup:

sarahjth said:
even with a miserable 2.75 GPA?

Yea...it seems like with a 2.75, you'll be weeded out quickly. I know a lot of ppl with 3.0 and below that didn't receive an interview.... Even people just above that. Seems like the caliber of applicants are increasing each year...Also, aren't the schools in CA quite competitive and intense?

You might want to take more classes and with classes below a C, definitely retake.

Regarding the last post, I don't mean to discourage you. By all means, start volunteering, working, getting great recommendation letters, and start studying for the PCAT.

sarahjth said:
Well it does discourage me.. but I do have a lot of faith in myself. Heck, I've worked at the pharmacy most of my teenage years and I could run the store right now - if it weren't for getting this degree.
Whatever you do, don't carry this attitude with you to any interviews that you might get. A lot of technicians have the idea that they are somehow superior to their pharmacist(s) because of their customer service or computer skills. I've heard this said many, many times. Techs are usually better at the procedural aspects of pharmacy practice (computers, counting, people skills). After all, that is their job. Pharmacists might lack some of those skills, but they do have the deep scientiffic knowledge and professional judgement that is required of the profession.

I'm sure that many of your customers think that they could just hop behind the counter and "put some pills in a bottle". We all know that's not the case. Don't perpetuate the rumor.

A pharmacist friend of mine recently went into retail after focusing her entire academic career on hospital and clinical pharmacy. She is completely convinced that retail is more difficult and more demanding than anything she's run across in the hospital or academia.

If you end up going to pharmacy school, remember when you were a technician and knew everything. ;)

jdpharmd? said:
Whatever you do, don't carry this attitude with you to any interviews that you might get. A lot of technicians have the idea that they are somehow superior to their pharmacist(s) because of their customer service or computer skills. I've heard this said many, many times. Techs are usually better at the procedural aspects of pharmacy practice (computers, counting, people skills). After all, that is their job. Pharmacists might lack some of those skills, but they do have the deep scientiffic knowledge and professional judgement that is required of the profession.

I'm sure that many of your customers think that they could just hop behind the counter and "put some pills in a bottle". We all know that's not the case. Don't perpetuate the rumor.

A pharmacist friend of mine recently went into retail after focusing her entire academic career on hospital and clinical pharmacy. She is completely convinced that retail is more difficult and more demanding than anything she's run across in the hospital or academia.

If you end up going to pharmacy school, remember when you were a technician and knew everything. ;)
Couldn't have said it better myself

sarahjth said:
Everyone asking questions in this board, needs support! I came to this board to look for information on what I was getting myself into.. not to be told that I should wait to have BS in blah blah.. or that I'll never get in! No matter how long it takes.. and how much tears/blood it takes.. I am going to try my hardest! :)
Good for you, Sarah. I'm glad that you've developed a plan and started it in motion. Many people who post on SDN are looking for advice, which is a sometimes little different than support. Suggesting a BS degree is certainly not inappropriate advice, and I don't see anyone who said that you'll "never get in". Don't you think that almost every reply to your post gives information on "what you're getting yourself into?". When I suggested what NOT to act like at an interview, I was being sincere. It would be a disservice to provide you with misleading information under the guise of "support".

sarahjth said:
Everyone asking questions in this board, needs support! I came to this board to look for information on what I was getting myself into.. not to be told that I should wait to have BS in blah blah.. or that I'll never get in! No matter how long it takes.. and how much tears/blood it takes.. I am going to try my hardest! :) So I have sound like a jerk for saying that or that I don't respect Pete.. that is way off! (How many college students have their boss framed in their dorm? I mean c'mon!)

First, try to keep in mind that overtones and such can't be heard online, and the points that some try to make can easily be misunderstood. With that said, everyone on here is very helpful, and I'm sure your best interest is in mind when suggestions are made. It is ultimately your decision, and by all means, apply this summer. The only thing that could happen would be for the schools to say no, which would leave you taking more classes the following year. :) It isn't uncommon. But, when we tell you that usually more than 2 years and/or BS degrees are preferred, rest assured it is not to discourage you or to not support you. It's just the way things are or the direction they are going (depending on the school).

We're all in the same boat (wanting to be pharmacists). Some get in quicker than others, for many different reasons. The important thing to remember is not to give up. If you want it bad enough, it will happen, but only when it's supposed to. :) :luck:

if pharmacy is something you wanna do...which it seems like you really do :) dedication is something that is important. if you are in the earlier years of college(b/f upper division) and you are plannin on gettin a degree keep working hard to raise up your g.p.a. upperward trends in g.p.a. can be important for several schools. and like i believe one of the post said...grades are one factor(which i admit are very important). gettin in with a g.p.a. around 3.0 is possible you dont have to have a 4.0 (it would help :p ) adcoms DO consider well-roundedness...

sarahjth said:
I didn't mean to sound "cocky". I love Pete *my boss and the pharmacist I work for* (How many college students have their boss framed in their dorm? I mean c'mon!)

I'd like to see what goes on when the gates are shut for the evening! ;)

Two words.. father figure. Actually more of a grandpa figure.
He's 67 and though he amazing... and I do admire, love him.
It's not like.. Assumptions are not a good thing to have!

Please retire this topic!!! :eek: Go back to the other girl...
*Retiring*