Applying to 2 proffesional schools at the same time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgsumd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am applying to medical school this summer and i was thinking of applying to pharmacy school as well. I am interested in both fields and they are special in their unique ways but i was having a hard time pick one and i decided to apply to both of them and than based on the acceptance and schools accepted pick . I fulfilled the requirment for both fields and took both MCAT (29O) and PCAt(76%) and everything was going as planned. But than i heard from a classmate of mine, who got accepted into medicine, that applying to two different professional schools is a big NO-NO and most likely im shooting myself in the foot and i am decreasing my chances of acceptance to either one considerably.

I would like some more information of how big of a problem this is, and if i would be better off, making my mind and applying to only one profession.

Thank You,
Saphien

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I am applying to medical school this summer and i was thinking of applying to pharmacy school as well. I am interested in both fields and they are special in their unique ways but i was having a hard time pick one and i decided to apply to both of them and than based on the acceptance and schools accepted pick . I fulfilled the requirment for both fields and took both MCAT (29O) and PCAt(76%) and everything was going as planned. But than i heard from a classmate of mine, who got accepted into medicine, that applying to two different professional schools is a big NO-NO and most likely im shooting myself in the foot and i am decreasing my chances of acceptance to either one considerably.

I would like some more information of how big of a problem this is, and if i would be better off, making my mind and applying to only one profession.

Thank You,
Saphien

usually, when you choose a professional school, thats coz its the thing u really want to do....
this would really matter in your case depending on the ECs you have.
i mean, have you done hospital-related stuff? or perhaps, pharmacy-related stuff? in terms of ECS

It seems strange that you would be equally happy doing either one of these careers. Just figure out which one you truly want and go for it....if you are going to convince an admissions committee to let you in, then you have to REALLY want it yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
usually, when you choose a professional school, thats coz its the thing u really want to do....
this would really matter in your case depending on the ECs you have.
i mean, have you done hospital-related stuff? or perhaps, pharmacy-related stuff? in terms of ECS

I have done everything and i put a lot of effort into it that's why so hard to back up now.On top to taking both exams I have volunteered in a ER, volunteered in a Pharmacy, gotten letters of recommendation from both a doctor and a pharmacist. I got letter of recommendation from 2 science teachers for Pharmacy and two other science teachers for Medicine.

I mean no one here ever applied to two different professions maybe with one as a back.

I have done everything and i put a lot of effort into it that's why so hard to back up now.On top to taking both exams I have volunteered in a ER, volunteered in a Pharmacy, gotten letters of recommendation from both a doctor and a pharmacist. I got letter of recommendation from 2 science teachers for Pharmacy and two other science teachers for Medicine.

I mean no one here ever applied to two different professions maybe with one as a back.

If you'd be equally happy with either career, I'd go with pharmacy. You can make 6 figures right out of graduation. Residency is optional, depending on what field you want to go into. Much more stable/consistent schedule. Malpractice insurance is a joke compared to what you pay as a physician. No call. Just a much better lifestyle.

Personally I would try to make up my mind prior to applying rather than doing both. It's an expensive process. Why potentially waste a ton of time filling out applications and thousands of dollars flying around the country to interview at a bunch of MD schools only to end up picking pharmacy (or vice versa)?

Or I guess you can always pick the insane route and do what J Dub and I did -- finish one, then go for the other. :laugh:

You do realize that both fields are not mutually exclusive, are you interesting in persuing both? You can also do MD/Pharm D. separately, I'm not sure if it's available as a joint degree program. Alternatively, there's MD/PhD with the latter in pharmacology, so you need not sacrifice.

I would like to thank everybody who replied but I think the point of what im asking is being missed. I am not asking about help choosing one profession over the other.

My question is if applying to both would decrease my chances of acceptance to either one; putting money, time or any other fastidious nuisances of the application cycle apart.

Will it look bad on my application if i apply to different professions? Would the adcomes ask meif i have applied to another profession and get biased if they hear i did?

I would like to thank everybody who replied but I think the point of what im asking is being missed. I am not asking about help choosing one profession over the other.

My question is if applying to both would decrease my chances of acceptance to either one; putting money, time or any other fastidious nuisances of the application cycle apart.

Will it look bad on my application if i apply to different professions? Would the adcomes ask meif i have applied to another profession and get biased if they hear i did?

This question has been brought up in the past, and I think general consensus was that adcoms would not know you applied MD/PharmD unless they directly asked you. There is a small risk if you're applying to the MD and PharmD program at the same institution, but even then I doubt there is that much communication between different professional admissions departments. Again, you could just anonymously call a school and ask.

This question has been brought up in the past, and I think general consensus was that adcoms would not know you applied MD/PharmD unless they directly asked you. There is a small risk if you're applying to the MD and PharmD program at the same institution, but even then I doubt there is that much communication between different professional admissions departments. Again, you could just anonymously call a school and ask.

Thank you MiniMoo, that was the answer i wanted to hear. Since this will be the first time applying does anyone know if there is a question in the application that asks you if you took another exam or applied to another professions.

Also is it a common practice for adcomes to ask you during the interview.

Regards,
Saphien

Last edited:
amcas asks which professional schools you applied to.

My question is if applying to both would decrease my chances of acceptance to either one. Putting money, time or any other fastidious nuisances of the application cycle apart.

Will it look bad on my application if i apply to different professions. Would the adcomes ask meif i have applied to another profession and get biased if they hear i did.

I just went through the med school app cycle and the answer to your question is.....drumroll..... it depends.

From a med school application perspective:
1. Ur AMCAS/Primary app does require info about other programs, the section under test asks for other tests BUT you would have to VOLUNTEER ur PCAT score as it's optional for complete that section. I took the GRE but didn't report it, bcos there was no point in doing so.

2. For secondary applications, some schools MAY ask for other standardized tests u've taken OR graduate programs of study u've applied to. Here u'll have to be honest and they'll know whether you have other interests besides medicine.

Now for the small number of schools (if any) that know about ur interest in Pharmacy, u will have the challenge of demonstrating to them that you're certain that medicine is what you want to do, however ur application to Pharm school will complicate this. You need to somehow convey that even though u applied to two very different fields, u're not undecided and u know that you want a medical career. Short of a joint degree program it'll be nearly impossible to successfully argue this case.

Which section, I don't recall this question...

lol, maybe i'm imagining that question. i thought i had to answer it. maybe i'm getting amcas confused with some secondaries i filled out.

Members don't see this ad :)
amcas asks which professional schools you applied to.

I think this is one of those initial questions you answer as you're signing up to fill out the AMCAS application. They ask if you've ever matriculated in another professional school. I had to check yes and then actually had to call in order to get further approval to continue filling out the rest of my application.

Which section, I don't recall this question...

Don't remember the section #, but the actual question is whether or not you've previously applied to M.D programs. Not D.O, not Pharm.D. You're totally fine OP, unless you let it slip yourself during the interview, or, like someone already mentioned, if you bump into an interviewer for one program while interviewing for the other, and you were recognized (highly unlikely).

Can't fathom why you'd actually -want- to do Pharm, but to each his own, I guess.

I just went through the med school app cycle and the answer to your question is.....drumroll..... it depends.

From a med school application perspective:
1. Ur AMCAS/Primary app does require info about other programs, the section under test asks for other tests BUT you would have to VOLUNTEER ur PCAT score as it's optional for complete that section. I took the GRE but didn't report it, bcos there was no point in doing so.

2. For secondary applications, some schools MAY ask for other standardized tests u've taken OR graduate programs of study u've applied to. Here u'll have to be honest and they'll know whether you have other interests besides medicine.

Now for the small number of schools (if any) that know about ur interest in Pharmacy, u will have the challenge of demonstrating to them that you're certain that medicine is what you want to do, however ur application to Pharm school will complicate this. You need to somehow convey that even though u applied to two very different fields, u're not undecided and u know that you want a medical career. Short of a joint degree program it'll be nearly impossible to successfully argue this case.

Don't remember the section #, but the actual question is whether or not you've previously applied to M.D programs. Not D.O, not Pharm.D. You're totally fine OP, unless you let it slip yourself during the interview, or, like someone already mentioned, if you bump into an interviewer for one program while interviewing for the other, and you were recognized (highly unlikely).

Can't fathom why you'd actually -want- to do Pharm, but to each his own, I guess.

I think the above points emphasize why your situation is more complicated than it should be. Other posters are urging you to reconsider because you should commit to only career path. It's ultimately up to you want you want to do, but I don't believe that you want to pursue medicine and pharmacy equally. One stands out to you more than the other, and you're scared that things might not work out. Sometimes you just have to go for that one thing and not look back.

I remember another pharmacy vs. medicine post and what I said there is the same thing I have to say here...I know someone who went into pharmacy because they needed the money. He burnt out very quickly, became a drug addict and screwed up his ENTIRE life. The only thing he had going for him was there were so many pharmacy jobs at the time that he got a new job multiple times after being caught stealing drugs. That probably won't be the case for you, because pharmacy has become saturated. I'm not saying if you go into pharmacy you'll AUTOMATICALLY DIE!, but going into a field for the wrong reasons is going to be a terrible idea, whether it's medicine or pharmacy. Pick the one that interests you the most and don't look at anything as a backup (unless you never make it into medical school) because it will always be second best to you.

I remember another pharmacy vs. medicine post and what I said there is the same thing I have to say here...I know someone who went into pharmacy because they needed the money. He burnt out very quickly, became a drug addict and screwed up his ENTIRE life. The only thing he had going for him was there were so many pharmacy jobs at the time that he got a new job multiple times after being caught stealing drugs. That probably won't be the case for you, because pharmacy has become saturated. I'm not saying if you go into pharmacy you'll AUTOMATICALLY DIE!, but going into a field for the wrong reasons is going to be a terrible idea, whether it's medicine or pharmacy. Pick the one that interests you the most and don't look at anything as a backup (unless you never make it into medical school) because it will always be second best to you.

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf: Allow me to steal a line from Scrub's Doctors Cox. Going to pharmacy for the wrong reasons makes you a drug addict. Future doctor everyone--> morning :scared:

Have you ever matriculated at or attended any medical school as a candidate for an M.D. degree?

You have "matriculated" as a medical school student if you accepted an offer of admission and did not withdraw, or you registered for classes, whether or not you actually attended classes.

Straight from AMCAS. OP can honestly answer no. I don't know every question from every school's secondary, but mine didn't ask. There is a miniscule risk of them asking if you've applied to other schools in the interview, but even that is generally regarded as a d-bag move. That said, as others have already stated, you are making the process much more complicated than you have to. Maybe some more shadowing of pharmacists/doctors would help you make up your mind? Or if you truly enjoy both fields as much it seems that pharm would be preferable i.e. less debt, about same salary as primary care, better hours, no call, less time in school. Just sayin.

I don't think it will have any impact on your apps unless you tell adcom in interview or app that you are applying to Pharm and MD schools. So as long as that is not mentioned, it will have no effect.

I doubt adcoms will ask unless you have something like "President of the Pharm Club" on your MD app or "member of pre-med club" on pharm app. If you had one of those and said, I explored career options, and changed my mind, then that would be fine. But if you would say that, based on your original post, I would say that's a lie which is grounds for them to revoke an acceptance.

So as long as you don't bring it up, the adcom wont know your applying to both professional schools.

I know you don't care, but reasons why it's a bad idea:
a) applying is $$$$. for 15 med schools, which is a reasonable number, you're talking 2k+ depending on if your interviewing in lots of out of state places. I'd imagine pharm school is the same.
b) applying is a complete pain. After finishing one service, who would want to do another?
c) you will have to make a decision eventually, unless you just don't get into an MD or a pharm school.
d) you will have to schedule interviews around classes. Profs are cool for a while, but after absence 5, might have some problems.
e) did i mention it was expensive to apply?

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf: Allow me to steal a line from Scrub's Doctors Cox. Going to pharmacy for the wrong reasons makes you a drug addict. Future doctor everyone--> morning :scared:

...What was your VR on the MCAT?

The thing that annoys me here is that you aren't setting a goal and asking how to best acheive it. You haven't quite decided on a goal and you're asking for advise on how your chances of acheiving it will be affected by the fact you haven't decided on it.

Decide what you want to do, whether it's medicine, pharm or both. Don't leave your entire career in the hands of adcoms and let them decide FOR you. Set a goal and make it happen.

:laugh: Cannot believe someone posted this seriously.