Applying to DO schools this summer, my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MedDO101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently a senior about to graduate with a 23 MCAT and around a 3.6 gpa in biochemistry. I have a good set of ECs and most of my letters are finished. I plan to apply as early as possible to schools like LECOM, Pikesville, Lincoln, Edward, and Philladelphia. My first picks would be Pikesville and LECOM. Am I competitive for these schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am currently a senior about to graduate with a 23 MCAT and around a 3.6 gpa in biochemistry. I have a good set of ECs and most of my letters are finished. I plan to apply as early as possible to schools like LECOM, Pikesville, Lincoln, Edward, and Philladelphia. My first picks would be Pikesville and LECOM. Am I competitive for these schools?

Thanks.

23 MCAT's is a bit low, but with a good gpa, good EC's, and Lor's you should be able to land an interview. Just do well in that and you should be ok. DO averages usually fall around 24 so it's not too bad. Good luck.:thumbup:

u will get interviews, dont worry :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

Pikeville is really big on in-state and people from the Appalachian region. If you don't have some connection there, you probably don't have much of a chance. If you do have a connection to the area, your application is otherwise fine in terms of being competitive there. You should have a decent chance at LECOM. Good luck!:luck:

I would retake the MCAT this summer.

:thumbup:

I agree... send in your applications and UPDATE with better scores... that would apply the ultimate support to your application.

Do the work. With a 3.6 GPA you can do better than a 23 MCAT.

Don't listen to him, he is voting for Sanjaya.

You dont have to listen to me, but its the truth.

Going into the applications sitting on a 23 MCAT is risky, I dont care how many butts you have kissed.

Thanks.

The average MCAT for LECOM & Pikesville is 23, 24 for Edward, Lincoln will also be down there, PCOM's not listed. You're in the range for a matriculant into one of theses schools. However, b/c you're in the average, you'll really need to shine on the EC's and LORs. I would just apply this year. If you don't get in you can re-take the MCAT to boost your potential for next round.

On the other hand, if the material's still fresh and you don't mind trying again this summer, scoring higher on the MCAT might add a little extra sparkle to your app.

Retake the MCAT
Retake the MCAT
Retake the MCAT

Listen to JP Hazelton:

I got a 23 on the MCAT took it in August 2006. I applied to LECOM, UNECOM, NYCOM, AZCOM, CCOM, and PCOM. Got my first interview to LECOM and accepted. Got another interview at NYCOM and turned it down. First choice was UNECOM. Have heard absolutely nothing from the other schools and file was complete at the end of october. If i were you I would take the MCAT again, although i think you will be able to get in somewhere with a 23 i would want to go to my first choice school. If you don't retake it, get serious shadowing hours, and apply early and to more schools that you would have normally. If i took the MCAT again i know i would do better, but I decided to risk it, I feel lucky that I got in somewhere, but if I were you I wouldn't risk it. You can always submit and then update your file later with the new grade. Good luck.

Listen to JP Hazelton:

I got a 23 on the MCAT took it in August 2006. I applied to LECOM, UNECOM, NYCOM, AZCOM, CCOM, and PCOM. Got my first interview to LECOM and accepted. Got another interview at NYCOM and turned it down. First choice was UNECOM. Have heard absolutely nothing from the other schools and file was complete at the end of october. If i were you I would take the MCAT again, although i think you will be able to get in somewhere with a 23 i would want to go to my first choice school. If you don't retake it, get serious shadowing hours, and apply early and to more schools that you would have normally. If i took the MCAT again i know i would do better, but I decided to risk it, I feel lucky that I got in somewhere, but if I were you I wouldn't risk it. You can always submit and then update your file later with the new grade. Good luck.

You turned down NYCOM, why?

Thanks.

It's always better if you know you can do better by re-taking. However, it's not necessary either. Applying early is necessary though, especially for schools like PCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
The CBT is a third less questions, your chances are high that you will score much higher than 23 with a major like biochem. Give the die another roll, chances may be that your bad roll was your last test.

But really you will probably end up getting into the one you want anyway.

:luck:

Listen to JP Hazelton:

I got a 23 on the MCAT took it in August 2006. I applied to LECOM, UNECOM, NYCOM, AZCOM, CCOM, and PCOM. Got my first interview to LECOM and accepted. Got another interview at NYCOM and turned it down. First choice was UNECOM. Have heard absolutely nothing from the other schools and file was complete at the end of october. If i were you I would take the MCAT again, although i think you will be able to get in somewhere with a 23 i would want to go to my first choice school.

Well, the OP's first choices are LECOM & Pikesville. You're case proves that someone with a 23 can get into those schools. If it were me, I wouldn't want to torture myself w/ another MCAT, if I could get in on the one I have. I'd only re-take it if I didn't get in. However, if the OP doesn't want to risk re-application, then a re-take would be playing it safe.

retake the MCAT. If you want to be competitive, you need something better than a 23. Yes, people have gotten in with a 23 and lower, but it's not the norm.

Ever been there?

Apparently, NYCOM is well-suited for most people. :idea:

If she applies there, then turns down their interview offer, it doesn't make sense. NYCOM>LECOM.

Well, the OP's first choices are LECOM & Pikesville. You're case proves that someone with a 23 can get into those schools. If it were me, I wouldn't want to torture myself w/ another MCAT, if I could get in on the one I have. I'd only re-take it if I didn't get in. However, if the OP doesn't want to risk re-application, then a re-take would be playing it safe.

Agreed.

I have a 23Q (10VR, 7BS, 6PS.) I was accepted to DCOM in early October, accepted to Pikeville in December, and invited to interview at NYCOM in October/interviewed in December after rescheduling twice. I withdrew post-interview at NYCOM and withdrew from the majority of the schools I applied to after my DCOM acceptance in October. I was rejected at LECOM-Erie, but that was because I had not taken organic chemistry yet. Because I withdrew, I don't know how I would have done at the other schools. I do have strong ECs and LORs and of course, four kids, which helped balance my application. So, it definitely is possible to get an acceptance at a school. DCOM was my top choice and I was lucky enough to be in one of the first interview groups there and to get an acceptance. For LECOM, PCSOM, and DCOM, the OP's numbers should be fine. However, as I had stated previously, PCSOM has a really big preference for people with a connection to the area. So, I guess it really depends on what the rest of the OP's application looks like. I think that he/she has a reasonable chance. :luck: :)

Ever been there?

What's wrong? Based on my interview day and open house experience, the place seemed pretty good to me.
I turned down interview offers from DMU, PCOM, CCOM, NSU and LECOM after NYCOM acceptance, so I don't know.

For the OP, definitely apply early. You will at least get one acceptance. To be safe though, You might need a little higher MCAT score.

P.S: Hello Doctormom! How's everything?
You changed pic a lot these days, I didn't know it was you until I read the post. lol.....

What's wrong? Based on my interview day and open house experience, the place seemed pretty good to me.
I turned down interview offers from DMU, PCOM, CCOM, NSU and LECOM after NYCOM acceptance, so I don't know.

For the OP, definitely apply early. You will at least get one acceptance. To be safe though, You might need a little higher MCAT score.

P.S: Hello Doctormom! How's everything?
You changed pic a lot these days, I didn't know it was you until I read the post. lol.....

LOL! Yea, that's my puppy Fred. I got bored with the pic of myself. I will put it back eventually. I am great! Moving to TN on May 21st and really excited about school. How are you?:)

Thanks.

I think you'll be good to go. Just make sure you do well in your interviews. They can make or break you, but you should definitely get some interviews with your stats.

Apparently, NYCOM is well-suited for most people. :idea:

If she applies there, then turns down their interview offer, it doesn't make sense. NYCOM>LECOM.

Makes perfect sense. If NYCOM isnt your top choice, finances make it difficult to travel or you already have an interview/acceptance elsewhere then turning down the interview is most certainly the right thing to do.

I applied to 5 medical schools and turned down 3 interviews.

And I dont think that NYCOM>LECOM as you say. Thats a matter of perception. If thats your opinion, then thats fine. Not necessarily the truth.

Just as my comments about NYCOM are my own opinion.

I have, however, been to NYCOM and chose not to attend.

I can give you my opinions in a PM. :thumbup:

I still recommend trying for a few more points on the MCAT. Most people dont go down in their score second time around.

A repeat score of 27 or more would be much better for you.

I think part of the problem is that the osteopathic world has become content with mediocrity. If you look at the minimum requirements as your benchmark then we as a profession are never going to be leaders outside of an AOA convention pep rally.

Commander William Riker of the Enterprise here.

You are in with those statistics in my assessment.

I think part of the problem is that the osteopathic world has become content with mediocrity. If you look at the minimum requirements as your benchmark then we as a profession are never going to be leaders outside of an AOA convention pep rally.

I disagree with that. Osteopathic medicine has definitely grown in the last decade and will continue to do so. The fact that the Mcat average for osteopathic schools is 23 or 24 does not set a low bechmark, a bechmark that is only mediocore. And I dont think that anyone aims to get a 23, we all aim to get a 45 but nonetheless, we get a 23 which still allows us to be accepted to DO schools. And then during our time in school, we learn to become doctors, and I think that's where you need to make your comparison. A lot of DO students who had similar scores performed well in both the comlex and usmle (if you want to compare DOs to MDs). They are now leaders in the community, they work side by side with MDs, PhDs, JDs and other leaders of the community. In the end, this is the comparison that matters.

I disagree with that. Osteopathic medicine has definitely grown in the last decade and will continue to do so. The fact that the Mcat average for osteopathic schools is 23 or 24 does not set a low bechmark, a bechmark that is only mediocore. And I dont think that anyone aims to get a 23, we all aim to get a 45 but nonetheless, we get a 23 which still allows us to be accepted to DO schools. And then during our time in school, we learn to become doctors, and I think that's where you need to make your comparison. A lot of DO students who had similar scores performed well in both the comlex and usmle (if you want to compare DOs to MDs). They are now leaders in the community, they work side by side with MDs, PhDs, JDs and other leaders of the community. In the end, this is the comparison that matters.

Agreed, but why set a standard of mediocrity right from the beginning?

Why be content with a 23 MCAT because "you can probably get in".

When I was studying for COMLEX and USMLE I knew what I wanted to accomplish. I wasnt content with simply studying to get in the 50th percentile. If I had ended up there and there was an option to retake it, I would certainly try to improve my score.

Over the past 5 years I have answered dozen upon dozens of PMs and seen thread after thread with people with mediocre grades saying "probably OK for DO school" or "you should be fine with your 3.2 & 24 MCAT as long as you have good letters."

I now know that was wrong to think like that. We need to push ourselves to be better.

You can talk all you want about the comparisons, I know the comparisons. I work with both MDs and DOs all day. And guess what. The harder you work the better doctor you will become.

If a 23 MCAT is all you are capable of, then thats fine. But to sit on that score because you are hoping it is "good enough" is ridiculous and sad.

I dont want to be a "good enough doctor". I want to be the best, and that means pushing myself to be the best.

This is the same forum where people whine about not being treated equal as our MD counterparts in one thread and in the next we say "oh yeah, that MCAT should be fine". Then we sit back and make excuses about the fact that DO programs are "looking for something besides MCATs."

Well, guess what, thats not true. You show me one DO school that is looking at more than the numbers when an application first rolls across the desk.

I can only speak for certain on one school, but even the most osteopathic of critics will look at low numbers and say "if only they had better scores."

Lots of people are kept out of great programs because of low scores and lots of people end up in DO school because of low scores, but until we start treating our schools like institutes of higher education instead of a backup with an easier-opening door, no one else is going to change their opinion either.

To strive for mediocrity is to admit defeat.

I agree that we all need to push ourselves, to be the best possible but the mcat is only part of the applciation and one part of becoming a physician.

"The harder you work the better doctor you will become." I definitely agree with this, but it's not all based on objective numbers. We have to consider doctor patient relationships, volunteer work, etc... I think theres a lot of way to augment a person's application as there is many ways to become a better physcian than board exam scores.

Why be content with a 23 MCAT because "you can probably get in".

I now know that was wrong to think like that. We need to push ourselves to be better.

If a 23 MCAT is all you are capable of, then thats fine. But to sit on that score because you are hoping it is "good enough" is ridiculous and sad.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give credit to my MCAT score for opening doors for me. However, why torture yourself all summer studying if that score will allow you to meet your goals in life? What's the difference btween getting into LECOM with a 23 vs. a 27? It makes LECOM look better b/c their average went up by a negligible amount? What does that do for you?

Not being satisfied w/ good enough? That's like telling someone with a 30+ they should get a 40+ so they don't settle.

I agree that we all need to push ourselves, to be the best possible but the mcat is only part of the applciation and one part of becoming a physician.

"The harder you work the better doctor you will become." I definitely agree with this, but it's not all based on objective numbers. We have to consider doctor patient relationships, volunteer work, etc... I think theres a lot of way to augment a person's application as there is many ways to become a better physcian than board exam scores.

You came here looking for advice.

I am giving you the answer you did not want to hear.

If you want to argue all these other points thats fine.

Your MCAT is barely competitive for the middle to lower tier DO schools.

I havent seen an updated average MCAT/GPA on all the schools in a few years, but they are going up not down.

You can listen to the other pre-meds posting here and get a "feel good" answer that your MCAT score will be just fine for you. Maybe some of them got in with that MCAT score, maybe some got in with a lower score.

I only know of 2 people who got into PCOM in my class with a score below 23. They were legacies and anything over an 18 would have gotten them in.

You are rolling the dice on this one and risking your future over a few weeks of studying and one more shot at the MCAT. In the real world thats insane...in the DO world we shrug it off and say "but youre nice, compassionate, you like holding patients hands...so its OK that you dont have good grades." After 5 years of hearing that nonsense Im done.

You seem to know how to become a good physician...and as a pre-med student thats not only amazing but quite baffling...so take your MCAT and go through the application cycle. Good luck in Kentucky or Erie.

I havent seen an updated average MCAT/GPA on all the schools in a few years, but they are going up not down.

You can listen to the other pre-meds posting here and get a "feel good" answer that your MCAT score will be just fine for you. Maybe some of them got in with that MCAT score, maybe some got in with a lower score.

I only know of 2 people who got into PCOM in my class with a score below 23. They were legacies and anything over an 18 would have gotten them in.

You are rolling the dice on this one and risking your future over a few weeks of studying and one more shot at the MCAT. In the real world thats insane...in the DO world we shrug it off and say "but youre nice, compassionate, you like holding patients hands...so its OK that you dont have good grades." After 5 years of hearing that nonsense Im done.

You seem to know how to become a good physician...and as a pre-med student thats not only amazing but quite baffling...so take your MCAT and go through the application cycle. Good luck in Kentucky or Erie.

just give it up, in all honesty, the reason you go to a DO school is because your mcat isnt high enough for MD schools. dont even try to pretend "ohh, but it's osteopathic medicine!" and blowing that falsified smoke. anyone with a pair of eyes and average number of brain cell count knows the truth. if given the chance of MD and DO school, i think any sane person would go for MD. dont even try to defy reality with your blatant and malicious lies. enough is enough!

Your words are pretty much wasted on someone who isnt in school yet. They can't appretiate what you are saying about trying to do better than average (which is roughly a 24). It sets a precedant that can continue on through school and into their career. Retake the MCAT to see if 23 is the best you can get. If it is at least you tried and no. Not taking it is accepting that you can never do better.

I chose not to go to NYCOM because of financial reasons and the fact that I'm really not a city girl.. not knocking it in anyway, i was just already accepted someplace that I think I could do well at.

Makes perfect sense. If NYCOM isnt your top choice, finances make it difficult to travel or you already have an interview/acceptance elsewhere then turning down the interview is most certainly the right thing to do.

I applied to 5 medical schools and turned down 3 interviews.

And I dont think that NYCOM>LECOM as you say. Thats a matter of perception. If thats your opinion, then thats fine. Not necessarily the truth.

Just as my comments about NYCOM are my own opinion.

I have, however, been to NYCOM and chose not to attend.

just give it up, in all honesty, the reason you go to a DO school is because your mcat isnt high enough for MD schools.

Agreed.

dont even try to pretend "ohh, but it's osteopathic medicine!" and blowing that falsified smoke.

All of his claims are valid. He is here to help, not to start flame war like you. He is a doctor. You are not even sure if you want to be a doctor or an optometrist.

anyone with a pair of eyes and average number of brain cell count knows the truth.

If you had average number of brain cells, you would check out his claims for yourself rather than making ignorant comments.

if given the chance of MD and DO school, i think any sane person would go for MD. dont even try to defy reality with your blatant and malicious lies. enough is enough!

Majority will go to MD but there are some users here on SDN who selected to go to a DO school over an MD and they are all sane people and are doing very well. I don't think any of his claims were blatant and malicious lies. You are not even a doctor. I would take advice from JP than you. Good luck with your life and god bless.

just give it up, in all honesty, the reason you go to a DO school is because your mcat isnt high enough for MD schools. dont even try to pretend "ohh, but it's osteopathic medicine!" and blowing that falsified smoke. anyone with a pair of eyes and average number of brain cell count knows the truth. if given the chance of MD and DO school, i think any sane person would go for MD. dont even try to defy reality with your blatant and malicious lies. enough is enough!

Coming from a 2nd year college student who is going into Optometry!

"Better one, better two....better one, better two."

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=383763

:laugh:

OK, "doctor".

If I were the OP I would want to retake, its a CBT, its only 4 hours or so, and from what I have heard thus far friends that took the paper and did okay have taken the computer and done well. You should always want to give yourself the best chance possible. Good Luck!

Side note: the more I read JPHazelton's posts the more I like him, he's very blunt and a little rude, but often very real. On top of that he makes me laugh.

While it may be true that some ppl attend osteopathic schools b/c the school may overlook a previous academic or social deficiency :eek: , this is not the reason that everyone chooses to attend osteopathic schools. If it were then would not more ppl attend Caribbean schools where taking the boards translates into M.D. Other ways to get into a “celebrated” M.D. program include attending a university for another profession and transferring in. Then again you may be able to go into dentistry and perform an othomaxillary residency and take your M.D. boards. Or finally you could just apply to one of those guaranteed acceptance programs (i.e. like the big JH :smuggrin: ) lol.

You know in the end we are all on the same playing field, the general public doesn’t care who gives them meds they just want meds. And if you do believe down deep that we are that different, then believe me when i say that some of us choose this profession b/c we like to be underdogs :scared: .

As for the original question for this post: you will be able to get in w/o retaking the MCAT so why waste any $$. ;)

Now why did i waste my time writing this when i should have testing the effects of EtOH on the CNS?? :barf:

Coming from a 2nd year college student who is going into Optometry!

"Better one, better two....better one, better two."

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=383763

OK, "doctor".

who said i was going for optometry? i don't want to offend your little fragile ego there but i got 29 on my mcat and i am a minority student. so why don't you back the heck off loser. i can choose to go to MD school which you never had the chance to. believe it, DO is just a bunch of balooney. They pick up the trash in areas where MDs dont go because the community is either A) too secluded, B) crime rate too high C) not enough white people. Now ask yourself, do i want to be a DO for the rest of my life and being looked down upon by everyone in medical conferences, and even your patients ask you WTF is a DO? don't you even try to pretend it's perfectly okay to be laughed at...no it's not okay and i think YOU should retake the MCAT and aim for a higher score because doctors NEED a certain standard right?? sounds like you're just blowing hot air with your deceitful act of righteousness.
oh by the way, optometrists (OD) don't just prescribe glasses these days. read up on your facts before you go making lame jokes about a profession which you have absolutely no clue about. get a clue, and stop voting for sanjaya.

who said i was going for optometry? i don't want to offend your little fragile ego there but i got 29 on my mcat and i am a minority student. so why don't you back the heck off loser. i can choose to go to MD school which you never had the chance to. believe it, DO is just a bunch of balooney. They pick up the trash in areas where MDs dont go because the community is either A) too secluded, B) crime rate too high C) not enough white people. Now ask yourself, do i want to be a DO for the rest of my life and being looked down upon by everyone in medical conferences, and even your patients ask you WTF is a DO? don't you even try to pretend it's perfectly okay to be laughed at...no it's not okay and i think YOU should retake the MCAT and aim for a higher score because doctors NEED a certain standard right?? sounds like you're just blowing hot air with your deceitful act of righteousness.
oh by the way, optometrists (OD) don't just prescribe glasses these days. read up on your facts before you go making lame jokes about a profession which you have absolutely no clue about. get a clue, and stop voting for sanjaya.

You said you were going for optometry...at least that's what you tell all the posters on the pre-opt and opt threads. We can see your post history you know.

Many people on this thread have worked hard to be where they are and don't need a troll posting trash. This thread is designed to give helpful information, debate about important subjects, or get to know your future classmates. I doubt you took the MCAT since you have "wanted to be an optometrist [your] whole life"!

Please do not come back. :idea:

You took the MCAT as a second year college student? Scan it in. Lets see the 29.

No patient has asked me what a DO is.

Come June one of us will be a surgical resident, the other a college student without a path in life.

"Better me...better you....better me...better you."

Better me.

BTW, I will take another box of AcuVue soft.. :thumbup:

No, the OAT is not the equivalent of the MCAT ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dr.Inviz...I have a new found respect for you.

I still dont "like" you, but you definately get a thumbs up for that one!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

you fit right in the box of those ignorant wannabe MDs who just failed so miserable that you must pick on other professions to fill your emptiness inside. go on and make all the fun you want, like i care? and no, OAT is not MCAT I got 9V,10B,10P,Q so don't think anyone who has an interest in optometry are lesser than you becaues you are clearly no better than the egoistical hobo wanting the quarter in my pocket. are you so dumb that fail to see that you guys are just a whining little group who will eventually work in some little hut near the mountains?

and do you all fail to see that my very first post in the optometry forum was a joke?? lol you people are hopeless.

you fit right in the box of those ignorant wannabe MDs who just failed so miserable that you must pick on other professions to fill your emptiness inside. go on and make all the fun you want, like i care? and no, OAT is not MCAT I got 9V,10B,10P,Q so don't think anyone who has an interest in optometry are lesser than you becaues you are clearly no better than the egoistical hobo wanting the quarter in my pocket. are you so dumb that fail to see that you guys are just a whining little group who will eventually work in some little hut near the mountains?

Interesting ID. You certainly are the problem ...

and do you all fail to see that my very first post in the optometry forum was a joke?? lol you people are hopeless.

I actually haven't taken the time to look. I actually just do not care enough ...

Status
Not open for further replies.