Applying to MD schools while Green Card is in process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to apply to MD schools while ones green card is in process? Or does one have to wait until the green card is in hand before applying? Can't you put on your application that you'll be getting your green card in like a couple months? Or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Green card process is a iffy process I would wait until that is sorted out before applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it possible to apply to MD schools while ones green card is in process? Or does one have to wait until the green card is in hand before applying? Can't you put on your application that you'll be getting your green card in like a couple months? Or not?

You can apply. Nothing to lose. You just have to know that if they consider you as an international student, your chance are incredibly low.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply. Nothing to lose. You just have to know that if they consider you as an international student, your chance are incredibly low.

Yeah. I just wonder if One is considered international if they're GC is in process

Yeah. I just wonder if One is considered international if they're GC is in process

I was in a similar situation and schools will consider you a international student until you have the green card in hand as proof, also I kinda disagree with part of ACsurgeons statement. You can apply but there is alot to loose if you dont get in and have to apply again as a re applicant.

I was in the process of getting my green card when I applied two years ago and said that I would get my green card in two months. I was aware of the fact that it would possibly take more than that and so I chose to apply to mostly schools that accept international students. There were two state schools (home state) that I applied to. I ended up getting accepted at two med schools but didn't get my green card. Had to pay my tuition up front (so be aware of the school's policy when you're applying!)

I'm not sure what situation you're in, but it won't make a difference whether you state you will get your green card or not. The only point in which they'll consider you as a permanent resident is when you show them your card. If you could wait a year and apply, go for it. It might give you time to strengthen your application. Heck, you might even be able to get into a better school with the green card in hand.