applying to med/peds and peds at same program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Borrow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
YO

all the threads on this topic are a little outdated so i figured i would just ask again. anyways, due to my family and what not i am limited to a very specific geographical area. i was really interested in med/peds but i was also wondering if i could apply to peds programs at the same place as med/peds programs

Members don't see this ad.

I encountered a few people on the interview trail that were doing this. It definitely seems possible and the program directors didn't seem to be holding it against anyone. I had a few interviewers ask me if I was co-ranking categorical programs and they seemed to be asking out of genuine curiosity (the answer was no in my case). You probably want to come up with a good elevator pitch for why you're doing it and be honest about your situation. In your case, it will likely be clear to them that med/peds is your ideal choice but that you'd rather match in categorical peds in your particular area than have to move or go unmatched at all.

I think apply med/peds and peds is more feasible than applying to med/peds and medicine. I did med/peds and medicine and I pretty much only got med/peds interviews at the places I doubled up on (didn't hear a single thing from the medicine program). People I know who applied to med/peds and peds actually interviewed for both programs (usually on the same day). I guess peds is more open about it? I don't know. I agree with the above poster about just being honest about your reason for applying to both (i.e location).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to provide another viewpoint, the program director at my institution told me that she typically ranks students lower on the list if she knows that they're applying to categorical programs as well. It's probably program-dependent, but maybe providing a compelling reason will help.

Just to provide another viewpoint, the program director at my institution told me that she typically ranks students lower on the list if she knows that they're applying to categorical programs as well. It's probably program-dependent, but maybe providing a compelling reason will help.

Dang that really sucks