Applying to med school while in SMP or wait until after SMP?

Started by deleted770098
Tags Tags
nontrad post-bacc smp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted770098

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was planning on applying to medical schools (MD and DO) this upcoming cycle (2018-2019) with cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.7, MCAT 508. I'm a career changer (history major, worked in accounting for a few years, started undergraduate post-bacc 3 years ago). I've gathered all my LORs, which I think are pretty strong, have 1100 hours of scribe experience, and have chemistry research on my resume. I'm also going to get a committee letter from Loyola's pre-health advisory committee.

However, I recently got into Loyola's MAMS program which starts in the fall, and I intend on enrolling. My question is, should I have an active application to med school while I am in MAMS, or should I wait until I'm done with the program?

My physician brother recommends that I apply after I'm done with the program, as he feels my stats are not strong enough to be competitive for MD schools. He believes the SMP would give me a strong boost, especially if I do really well. I'm on the fence, as I do want to apply this year, but I also feel somewhat insecure about my stats. Also thinking of retaking the MCAT. Opinions?
 
What is your post bacc GPA?.... you seem to be in a not so terrible position for applying without a SMP

My post bacc GPA is currently 3.81, still taking 3 classes this semester. My undergraduate GPA started out at 3.1, my current cGPA is 3.4.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My physician brother recommends that I apply after I'm done with the program, as he feels my stats are not strong enough to be competitive for MD schools. He believes the SMP would give me a strong boost, especially if I do really well. I'm on the fence, as I do want to apply this year, but I also feel somewhat insecure about my stats. Also thinking of retaking the MCAT. Opinions?
To explain further why this is a bad idea. If you do poorly, you wreck your chances. Both on the SMP/MCAT. Apply this year, find @Goro 's awesome list of schools that reward reinvention, nail your interviews, get into med school.